overseas trips after filing N400

divop

Registered Users (C)
Does anybody know how overseas trips after filing N400 woud have any implication to the continuous residence and physical presence requirements for citizenship? Particularly for those extended long trips while N400 is pending for NC.

How would the officer question these trips during interview?

Appreciate if anybody can share their similar experience.

Thanks.

Simple, all trips including those after your interview count against you for your time spent in the US up to the Oath. If found you have spent too long you very well could break your continous residency clock and have to start all over again (meaning no oath). You need to document all your travels at the oath.

Also remember being away too long and the nature of your trip too as that can also stop you at the oath ceremony when it comes up.

Another issue for extended travel if say it won't break your continous residency, it won't jeapordize your US residency status (aka not working overseas etc), is that you need to be notified by someone if an oath letter or any other documents are needed by request. So you might get a letter saying your oath is the next week or even in some cases the next day or two, then you'd have to somehow find a flight back asap to attend it or risk further delays.

Same holds true if they request additional documents from you, you'd may have to send that into them as well. So just be prepared for anything during that period...

I left The US after my application , I was luck to fet my FP soon before leaving , came back after a month , told the IO , showed my PASSPORT , she noted and went for an OATH a month later.
Don't worry however I hope you have fullfilled the continous resideny req prior to that just make sure you can return and somebody can inform you that you have an appointment . I would wait for the FP and don't stay too long a few months should be okay.
Now if you don't have to travel then don't.
HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.

I left The US after my application , I was luck to fet my FP soon before leaving , came back after a month , told the IO , showed my PASSPORT , she noted and went for an OATH a month later.
Don't worry however I hope you have fullfilled the continous resideny req prior to that just make sure you can return and somebody can inform you that you have an appointment . I would wait for the FP and don't stay too long a few months should be okay.
Now if you don't have to travel then don't.
HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.

Good point, I forgot to mention that you would also have to fly back for the FP appointment as well...

What about the physical presence requirement? How is the 2.5-year counted? only up to the time filing N400 or the oath?

as long as all the trips are shorter than 60 days you should be ok. If its over the 60 days mark your Physical presence clock will restart.

as long as all the trips are shorter than 60 days you should be ok. If its over the 60 days mark your Physical presence clock will restart.

Where are you getting this rule from? Length of individual trips has nothing to do with physical presence; total time outside the US does.

I apologize i got the numbers mixed up its 6 month not 60 days

"Residence and Physical Presence
*has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)has resided within a state or district for at least three months"

thanx for looking out bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize i got the numbers mixed up its 6 month not 60 days

"Residence and Physical Presence
*has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)has resided within a state or district for at least three months"

thanx for looking out bob

It resets the continuous residency clock, not physical presence. Physical presence is accumulated regardless of any break(s) in continuous residency. For example, you can be in US for 10 months, leave for 8, come back for 20 and then again leave for 8. During that period you would have accumulated 30 months of physical presence, but there is a presumption that you broke continuous residency twice unless you can prove otherwise with supporting documentation.