Out of Status

CanI

Registered Users (C)
Hi
How does being out of status, illegal presence of 10 days (change of status was denied) affect GC processing ?
Thanks

Yes !!If they came to know that you are in out of status..

Originally posted by CanI
Hi
How does being out of status, illegal presence of 10 days (change of status was denied) affect GC processing ?
Thanks

But I left the country and I am back on a new valid visa and currently in status.

CanI

Please explain clearly how you went out of status? If it is for 10 days it does not affect much? Was their NTA (Notice to Appear)?
In many cases it will not be a problems for such a small period.

Tammy2,

Lost job, so tried to change status from H to F. Was out of status when I filed for the F status. They sent an RFE asking for more information. I replied. They were not satisfied, sent a refusal letter saying I was accruing illegal presence in the US and I might be subject to a 3 or 10 year bar if I did not leave within 180 days and I left the country within 15 days. There was no notice to appear (btw, what is that ?)

I plan to be back, but this time on a valid visa and hope to file for a GC sometime in the near future.

Thanks

If you are able to be back on a valid visa, then the previous out of status period doesn't count. -- you have a fresh new start.

Don't worry

Don't worry about it and forget it. If you keep on reminding yourself about that and even start telling others something might prop up.

Forget it and everything will be ok, concentrate on what you are doing.

out of status, illegal status

I have some questions regarding out of status.

1. What is diff btw out of status and illegal status?

I over stayed in US for 4 months from the date mentioned in I-94. But, I have valid visa. I went to India and came back from India with new I-94 at POE with the expiry date as on visa stamp.

2. Am I eligible to apply 485/CP? If not, what are the reasons in each case?

Let's say you are on an H1 visa and you decide to quite to go back to school. You apply for your F1 status, a week late. Then you have been out of status for a week. Eventhough the I-94 issued for the h1 might be valid for a year, you lose status the day you decide to do something other than what your visa status lets you to do (in this case study, instead of work)

Staying past the date on the I-94 is illegal. Lucky you left the country before the 180 day period. If you stay past the 180 day period you are subject to a 3 year ban.

Hope it helps.

Also others, if you think that my explanation is wrong, feel free to correct me.

245(k)

Something that helps thousands of illegal Mexicans to obatain permanent residency ahead of legal tax paying immigrats like Indians.

Search through Goggle or visit lawyer sites you can find info about “245(k)” and 245(i)