out of status?

oldpal123

Hi!
I got an H4 visa stamp(valid till Feb \'03) on my passport after my husband got a new H1. I then got an H1 permit and used it to get an H1 visa on my passport when I entered the US a few months back. I\'ve been out of a job for a few months and my H1 will expire in August.
- Am I out of status ? Or does the H4 stamp keep me in status?
-If I need to get a new H4 stamp(from St. Louis), will they need current pay stubs?
-If I wait for the H1 to run out and then leave the country for some time, will I have trouble since my I-94 validity is based on my H1 ?
- If I leave the country before the H1 runs out, can I come back on the H4 (since it will still be valid)?
Thanks.

Answers

You can be on only one status at any time. Generally the latest I94 is your status.
1. The moment you are out of a job in H1 you are out of status.
2. I am not sure whether St,Louis will issue you a new H4 unless you get an approved 539 (change of status from h1 to h4), for which recent paystubs may be required.
3.Yes if H1 I94 expires you might be in trouble. But you can apply for a H1 extension or Change of Status to h4 before that I94 expiry and be in status.
4. Going out and coming back in H4 is your best bet.

travel with previous H1 with company A and have Notice of approval with company B??

Hi Every body,
I have my H1 B with company A valid till Oct 2003 stampes on my passport. I changes my job in mar\'01 and got my new Notice of Approval till Mar\'2004. Now if i and my familt in H4 travel to india then will i face any problem at port of entry while returning. What documents do i need to carry apart from the New Notice of Approval?
And any experience of anybody in similar situation ? Kindly Share
Thanks
dkal

out of status-best option?

Thanks, jaxen.
Would going to Canada and coming back solve the problem? My passport has the old H4 valid until next year but the I-94 mentions the new H1 status.