out 6 months stamped twice at POE

FirWait

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I need clarification on something for myself. I am going to be eligible for citizenship soon. I had 2 trips out of US of extant less than 6 months (5mo 28 days and 5 mo 26 days, both < 180 days) but at POE the officers wrote 'out 6 months' on the entry stamps. Does this mean anything? Am I flagged somehow?

Thanks!
FirWait

FirWait said:
Hi guys,

I need clarification on something for myself. I am going to be eligible for citizenship soon. I had 2 trips out of US of extant less than 6 months (5mo 28 days and 5 mo 26 days, both < 180 days) but at POE the officers wrote 'out 6 months' on the entry stamps. Does this mean anything? Am I flagged somehow?

Thanks!
FirWait

Provided you have documentation to show the dates you departed and reentered, I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Curious..

I am just curious...by stamping out for 6 months...aren't they noting that FirWait violated the "cannot be out more than 6 months" rule for the natz? (I am not trying to scare you FirWait...just seeking experts opinion...thats all ;) )

Cheers,
Speedy1027

speedy1027 said:
I am just curious...by stamping out for 6 months...aren't they noting that FirWait violated the "cannot be out more than 6 months" rule for the natz? (I am not trying to scare you FirWait...just seeking experts opinion...thats all ;) )

Cheers,
Speedy1027

That would seem to be the implication, however if he can prove his trips were less than 180 days, it really doesn't matter what the officer wrote in the passport at PoE.

And don't forget that the day you left and the day you arrived don't count in the calculations. Only the days where you were out of the country all day.

Flydog said:
And don't forget that the day you left and the day you arrived don't count in the calculations. Only the days where you were out of the country all day.

FirWait,

I think you cut it too close......

Based on what Flydog says, you would probably have to add 2 more days to your calculations and see if you crossed the 6 month mark or not.

I think you should be extremely careful and be ready to provide any docs which they might ask as proof.

cheers,
speedy1027

No, you get to subtract, not add.

If I leave the country early on Tuesday morning, stay away on Wednesday and Thursday, and arrive back late Friday night, that trip counts as 2 days out of the country. You were "physically present" on both Tuesday and Friday.

Well, if I count both the dates of travel as days out of US, I get 179 and 180 days. Dates are stamped on the passport. But still 180 days < 6 months technically or do they go by actual days(< 180) and not months(< 6)?

FirWait said:
Well, if I count both the dates of travel as days out of US, I get 179 and 180 days. Dates are stamped on the passport. But still 180 days < 6 months technically or do they go by actual days(< 180) and not months(< 6)?

You get credit for partial days (i.e. days you travel) so I suspect that means you were out 177 and 178 days respectively, which is most definitely UNDER 6 months.

Why did the stamp more than 6 months?

FirWait said:
Hi guys,

Thanks!
FirWait

FirWait,

The officer normally asks you a question at POE that, "how long did you stay out of the country?" Did you answer him 6 months or did you answer him 5 months 28 days? Or did the officer knew your departure/arrival dates from his/her computer?

ZUR said:
FirWait,

The officer normally asks you a question at POE that, "how long did you stay out of the country?" Did you answer him 6 months or did you answer him 5 months 28 days? Or did the officer knew your departure/arrival dates from his/her computer?

HOW can they know departure date? Isn't that just an entry made by the airline when you leave? I am assuming the airline is not entering it into the BCIS system (OTOH, they do scan your green card, so I don't know?)

AsyleeTravel said:
HOW can they know departure date? Isn't that just an entry made by the airline when you leave? I am assuming the airline is not entering it into the BCIS system (OTOH, they do scan your green card, so I don't know?)

Unless your passport was stamped with an entry stamp when you got to your destination...

boatbod said:
Unless your passport was stamped with an entry stamp when you got to your destination...

That's true ......... but I still always wonder why at POE the BCIS officer always asks how long have u been away ...... doesn't he get to see what the airline entered when I left or see when the GC was scanned by airline?

AsyleeTravel said:
That's true ......... but I still always wonder why at POE the BCIS officer always asks how long have u been away ...... doesn't he get to see what the airline entered when I left or see when the GC was scanned by airline?

Not necessarily. For example, I've travelled quite a bit by private vessel, which unless foreign-flagged, doesn't require clearing out when leaving the US.

boatbod said:
Not necessarily. For example, I've travelled quite a bit by private vessel, which unless foreign-flagged, doesn't require clearing out when leaving the US.

That case would make sense. ..... but why do they still always ask how long have you been away? Seems to me the airline entry/scan is not necessarily in the system/available to them?

I think if FirWait would have insisted and made sure that they enter the exact number of months and days at the POE, then he/she would be on stronger wicket.

But then again...i guess all is not lost.

Cheers