Out 1 month stamp on the passport

Really? I mean, I don't work or pay taxes in the Netherlands. I have an IRA and bank accounts in the US, my family is there, etc. Can I explain all of this along with my application?
You can try, and may be successful if it was just one trip of between 6-12 months. But multiple long trips spanning over a couple years or more is almost sure to get a denial. As I said before, residence requirements for naturalization are strict. Generally you have to be working for a US company or the US government (or be the spouse of somebody working for them) in order to preserve residence for naturalization when taking a long series of trips like that.

Anyway, if you can afford to lose the time and money, you can still try in 2010 and see what happens. If denied on the basis of breaking continuous residence, you can reapply a few years later.
Do you know of any cases where someone was granted (or denied) citizenship because of something like this?
Yes, and they are described on this board if you spend enough time to search for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reapplying a few years later (i.e. more WAITING!!!) would kill me. This is absolute torture. It's a shame, really, since I've been in the US since 1998, and had never left the country until 05, soon after which I got my GC. It's just my luck that the time I decide to pursue only an education abroad falls on the same time during which I have to rack up residency requirements... I'm just absolutely bummed :(