other names used

Pippi

Registered Users (C)
Does this include names used on internet?
Name used in magazine / newspaper article if no income was gained from this writing?

How complicated would it be to list an alternate name and indicate that it was used on internet or magazines?

Names on the internet? How do you mean? Like Pippi or Wong561hb? You're not serious are you?.....nor do I think you should be listing pseudonyms used in newspaper articles etc.

it would mean names that you have used to represent yourself in legal documents like school, drivers license , passport etc...not user names

it would mean names that you have used to represent yourself in legal documents like school, drivers license , passport etc...not user names

That's exactly what it means. My former last name was spelled in 2 different ways on various documents. I listed the name that was printed on my GC as my main name and included the alternate spelling in "other names used". There's no need to include internet nicknames or literary pseudonyms.

That's exactly what it means. My former last name was spelled in 2 different ways on various documents. I listed the name that was printed on my GC as my main name and included the alternate spelling in "other names used". There's no need to include internet nicknames or literary pseudonyms.

Same here. I used to have an I-94 and an I-20 with my nickname on it so I listed that as well.

Well I ended up asking a lawyer about this. At first she said I need only list names used in legal documents, but when I said I had published articles with this name she said to list it, to be on the safe side.
So I did.
Let us see what happens.
Note -this does not include forum ids like Pippi. :)

Well I ended up asking a lawyer about this. At first she said I need only list names used in legal documents, but when I said I had published articles with this name she said to list it, to be on the safe side.
So I did.
Let us see what happens.

Can we read your articles ?

So I did.
Let us see what happens.

Pseudonyms used to publish articles in newspapers or magazine to protect your identity aren't what USCIS is interested in. They are looking for other names you go by or have gone by legally.

You mean if people could not pronounce your name and called you lets say J instead of Javetlena or something (i just made it up) you still have to list it??

Thank you

You mean if people could not pronounce your name and called you lets say J instead of Javetlena or something (i just made it up) you still have to list it??

What people call you informally doesn't count. They care about names which have been used on important documents like bank accounts, driver's license, school records, arrests, marriages, passports, etc. or if you are a public figure known by a name other than your official legal name (e.g. Bobby Jindal's official first name is Piyush, so "Bobby" would be listed in "other names used" if he was a noncitizen applying for citizenship).

Last edited by a moderator:
What if i forgot to list my last name i used back in my country when i was married (divorced there too) ? I never used that last name here obviously but what happens if i forgot to list it on my application? Can i let the officer know about it when i go to get my fingerprints done?

Thank you.

What if i forgot to list my last name i used back in my country when i was married (divorced there too) ? I never used that last name here obviously but what happens if i forgot to list it on my application? Can i let the officer know about it when i go to get my fingerprints done?

You could try an Infopass appointment for that, once you get the N-400 receipt notice. Bring a short letter explaining that on the N-400 you forgot to mention the name xxxxxx yyyyyy which you previously used in your original country. Don't give any explanation or reasons, just state the fact. Write the N-400 receipt number on the letter, and staple the letter to a copy of the N-400 receipt.

If you have the fingerprint notice by the time you go for Infopass, ask to be fingerprinted also.

But you'll still have to tell the interviewer about that name. Explain to the interviewer what you did at the Infopass, so the interviewer can check whether that other name was processed. If it wasn't, that name would have to be checked after the interview.