Orlando, FL - N-400 Timeline

Your both welcome, I will keep my fingers crossed for you usctobe! NotBonJovi, if you are a smart phone user (Android/iPhone) there is an app out there for the Citizenship the test that was also very good. It was developed by Colin (something) and it is free, includes all 100 questions and flash cards.

Well, trip you were right. This morning my status changed to INTERVIEW SCHEDULED.
I will be receiving my appointment letter any day now.
I am soooooo excited and nervouse at the same time.

Time to practise !!!

help ...

Hello everyone.
sorry I didnt get back earlier but u know the holidays were in the way sort of...

anyway, I finaly got my interview appointment for January.
I am studying the test but I have a few questions since I cant find it online...

Who is one of your states senators now? bill nelson? marco rubio? pls dont laugh... just not sure (politics r not my thing)
Name your US representative????? I dont know. daniel webster
What is the governor of your state? rick scott ??? before it was charly christ right???
Capital? tallahassee

I do know all the other answers but I am starting to get nervous.

Cant it be over already.

Last edited by a moderator:
usctobe,
i wish you the best for the interview..
make sure you eat before you go..check all your documents one more time before you leave the house
I.D, green card, passport, pen, gas in a car, tires..
bring everything.. all documents about your life
you can bring a cellphone inside. i saw people texting but no call allow
sit and wait kind of anxiety..you can text or search with your phone..
good luck
;):D;):p:eek:

Another citizen!

We did her Oath ceremony today! She is now an American! 97 candidates from 38 countries were there for the 8 AM ceremony. When we left, there were more people arriving, so I assume there was also a 10 AM ceremony today.

Her Oath ceremony got rescheduled 3 times due to vacations, holidays, crossed mail, etc. They don't give much advance notice when scheduling your Oath. Since we had briefly left the country (a cruise) between interview and Oath, there was some questions asked when she turned in her Oath form, but they quickly sorted it out.

If you cannot make your scheduled Oath, you are supposed to mail a reply back to the Orlando office with your excuse. But it seems like they don't get those replies in time or don't process them in time because we got letters that implied (to me) that we were "no shows", when I consider us to have RSVP'ed and requested a new date. But regardless, they seem to keep rescheduling you until you show up. :)

The ceremony itself didn't start till about 9, so don't panic if you are a few minutes late. They didn't even start processing the candidates until 8:30 or 8:40. At that point the candidates are separated from the guests. During the ceremony, all the candidates sit in the middle section of the room and the guests sit on the two side sections. So families are split up. Try not to sit next to a mother trying to juggle a child and a camera :) But I am happy for them.

They did do passport applications after the ceremony (2 people from the USPS), but not voter registration.

I had left her passport application in the car under the information that Orlando didn't do passport apps at the oath ceremony, so we stuck to our plan and walked into the Winter Springs PO and it was pretty quick and simple. The USPS web site says an appointment is needed, but that isn't true, so be sure to call the PO of your choice if you wish to go that route. If you are at the front of the passport line at the oath ceremony (meaning you sat near the front for the ceremony), then it might have been quicker to apply at the ceremony. But if you were at the back of the ceremony, then you would be at the back of the passport line and therefore going to a PO or an Orange County clerk may be quicker. Seminole County clerk doesn't do any passports anymore.

Now we just have to wait for her passport. We selected regular (no rush) service.

Thanks to all here who offered support & advice. I will still be subscribed to this thread to try to answer questions and to help others still going through the process.

Interview

Hello,
I hope everyone had a great start into the New Year.

I had my Interview this morning,

Got there 7.45. Interview was at 8.00. Got called in at 8.25
IO was a lady and was friendly. She asked me to remain standing and she put me under oath,
Then she started wth the Interview.
Had to state my name and if I wanted to change my name (I did).
She typed it in the pc, about my name change.
She asked about my addresses and my work.
She then asked me about my travels. I stated in the application -multiple arrivals and multiple departure.
-each trip lasted a few weeks -each trip was not longer then 6 month.
She wanted a mor clear answer so I told her that I can not remeber all my trips but I traveld 1 to 2 times a year for a few weeks to visit my family. And that I have not traveled since 2005. I also told her that prior the interview i had an info appointment (2 weeks ago) and that the IO told me not to worry to put in travel dates. That I am fine cause I have not traveled in the past 5 years so I should be good.
She wrote something down in red ink on my application.
Then she asked me about if I filed taxes and if I owe anything.
She did NOT ask me about my IRS tax returns. (I had them with me)
Then she was asking me about the tickets and I told her I had 2 and I offered her copies/original. She took the copies.
Then asked me about arrest, belonging to any organisations etc.
THen she started with the civics and reading/writing.

hmmm not sure if I remenber all.
capitol of Fl.?
what is an amendment?
who did we fight in ww2?
pledge of allegance?
who signs bills?
cantremeber the last questions ...

read : where is the white house?
write: the white house is in washington dc

then I had to sign a bunch of papers.

she then said: I am recommenting you for approval. ur paper will go to the final approval and then u will recieve a letter in the mail for ur oath.
most likely ur oath will not be in january due to that the orlando office did not have any oath in nov and dec. so we r backed up a lil but are starting to schedule people. also ur ceremony will be downtown orlando due to ur name change. do u have any questions?
YES
So u recommend me for approval. do i get a letter for approval and then another letter for oath ? how long is the wait for oath?
She said: most likely u will not have ur oath in january. u will have it in feb or march but looks like februray.
downtown oath are every 3rd thursday of the month.
u will not get 2 seperate letter. u will recieve the oath schedule and that means u r approved once u receive the oath letter.
THen she walked me out and I went home. I was out 8.55. So it took 30 minutes for the interview.

SO PEOPLE. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I am recommended for approval? Is this bad ?
Now I am more nervous then before.
Did anyone get a recommendation for approval and got send home to wait for letter?

Anyway this was my experience.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
SO PEOPLE. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I am recommended for approval? Is this bad ?
Now I am more nervous then before.
Did anyone get a recommendation for approval and got send home to wait for letter?
Congrats, it sounds like you did fine.
Yes, my wife was sent out of her interview with the officer telling her she was "approved" or "recommended for approval", but we weren't given anything in writing at the interview. My wife says she saw the officer stamp some documents "approved". So, I was confused and nervous like you since I was expecting something in writing or a scheduling of the oath. But it all worked out in the end and we eventually got the oath invitation, which confirms that "somebody" approved her somewhere. I don't understand what the criteria are or why some people are told they passed & have the oath scheduled immediately and some don't, but that seems to be the way it is. Be patient and you will get your oath invite soon :)

!!!!!

Sorry I forgot something.....

She gave me a paper that states the following:

you passed the tests of english and us history

congratulations! your application has been recommended for approval. At this point,
it appears that u have established ur eligibility for naturalization. If final approval is granted u will b mailed
when n where to report for the oath ceremony.

Selective Service Letter with N-400 application

Hello to Everyone!!

I live in Orlando,FL and I'm preparing to collect the documents that I need to submit with my N-400 application. I found out that it is advisable to send the Selective Service Letter along with the app.

I first came to U.S on a H1B visa which is a non-immigrant visa at the age of 25 and I understand that if you were on a non-immigrant visa, you are not required to register for Selective Service.

1. In this case, do I still need to get a "Status Information Letter" from Selective Service ?
2. Even if a get a letter from them, (from what I read) the letter is goin to say that the person is NOT registered. It is not goin to say he/she was not required to register. This being the case, would it not create a confusion with the immigration officer?

Another option is not to send this letter at all now, but rather take it with me at the time of interview and explain it to the interviewing officer. Any pros and cons sending/not sending the letter with the app? What did you guys do?

Here below is the list of docs that I'm planning to send with my N-400 app:
1. Cover Letter
2. Copy of Green Card(front & back)
3. Two Color Photos
4. Personal check for the processing fee

I have never been arrested for anything and never divorced. Me and my wife are applying based on 4 year 9 months rule after approval of an employment based green card. Am I missing any other docs here?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers :)

JMJVoyage

Its me again....

I am still waiting for my oath letter invitation.

Since I am changing my name, my oath ceremony will be held downtown at the court house. Those who do a name change will not attend the -every friday normal
ceremony-. Instead it will be downtown every 3rd thursday of the month. Well next thursday would be the 3rd thursday of the month but I still dont have anything.

I hope I dont have to wait till march.....

Any ideas?

Hello to Everyone!!

I live in Orlando,FL and I'm preparing to collect the documents that I need to submit with my N-400 application. I found out that it is advisable to send the Selective Service Letter along with the app.

I first came to U.S on a H1B visa which is a non-immigrant visa at the age of 25 and I understand that if you were on a non-immigrant visa, you are not required to register for Selective Service.

1. In this case, do I still need to get a "Status Information Letter" from Selective Service ?
2. Even if a get a letter from them, (from what I read) the letter is goin to say that the person is NOT registered. It is not goin to say he/she was not required to register. This being the case, would it not create a confusion with the immigration officer?

Another option is not to send this letter at all now, but rather take it with me at the time of interview and explain it to the interviewing officer. Any pros and cons sending/not sending the letter with the app? What did you guys do?

Here below is the list of docs that I'm planning to send with my N-400 app:
1. Cover Letter
2. Copy of Green Card(front & back)
3. Two Color Photos
4. Personal check for the processing fee

I have never been arrested for anything and never divorced. Me and my wife are applying based on 4 year 9 months rule after approval of an employment based green card. Am I missing any other docs here?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers :)

JMJVoyage
  1. Go with 5 years - 90 days (better 85 days) and not with 4 years + 9 month
  2. G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

Oath

Today my status changed to :

On February 21, 2012, we scheduled you for your oath ceremony and sent a notice providing the date, time, and location. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

yay ONE step closer.....