Organizing a Rally/protest against I-485 Backlog in the City of San Francisco

Count me in.

My boy is a young artist. He is willing to prepare some of our
slogans if we need. Let me know ahead of time please.

Is it possible for us to contact NPR (National Public Radio) and
KTSF (Chinese TV Channel)? If nobody does it, I'll try to reach them in about 10 days. (Currently I'm on a hard deadline.)

wac-02-068,
If you can reach the news agencies you mentioned, it would be of great help to us. and yes, if you want to go ahead and prepare some slogans please prepare as many as you think you & your son are able to.

Thanks in advance

Did anybody take care of the legal aspect of the protest? Did you call police or who is in charge with staff like that? What's the procedure?
Thx.
B.

It may not be a good time/idea to do such protests. With the slow economy and Americans losing jobs to overseas markets, we are only going to attract the wrath of the general public with such protests.

If you must go on with this protest... please do not use the anti-government slogans that 140_takes_for_ever is suggesting. They only do more harm than good. What is it you are going to achieve with such a protest? One thing for sure is... public's disgust with such slogans.

Who in the right mind will support us during these times... bad economy, terrorism, Iraq war, etc, etc, etc. These fax and email campaigns are effective, in my opinion.

I commend your active participation to bring our inconveniences to USCIS' notice... but such protests may not do us much good.

Hi deepak45,
I don't think 140_takes_for_ever was serious about those slogans or using those at the rally.
I'm not sure how you think that E-mails and faxes are effective and a rally in support of our cause wouldn't be.

So you think that a peceful protest will allow "people" to know who we are. I have news for you, our finger prints and pictures are in every db in the nation. If you are not doing anything wrong which we are not then there is no reason not to show solidarity and support to our cause.

If you do not want to participate, by all means but please don't decide on behalf of all of us that this type of activity is not a good thing to do.

Hi deepak45, how many fax and email campaigns have you participated? I guess NONE...so, you haven't even contributed to them either and you are expressing your OPINION on something you have no freaking clue about...

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and live in San Diego so I cant join in the protest. I think it is a good idea but I too wasnt sure about the slogans suggested earlier.

I thinking branding all the people in USCIS as criminal etc. may not be a good idea. I think our only "friends" are the immigration officers who process our cases. They probably work on cases (485, H1B, TPS etc.) they are asked to presumably by Don Neufled. You dont want them resenting all us 485 applicants. We cant label them something they may not be responsible for.

My dear kadamtal: So, a simple and non-aggressive response from me really stirred you up. That's exactly my point. What reactions would such protests and slogans evoke from Americans during these tough times? On one hand they are losing jobs to overseas markets and then they have to put up with these public protests?

How do you know if I contributed to fax/email campaigns or not?... just because I didn't post empty responses like "Fax sent" ? hmmm.

I am not going to stoop down to your level and hurl insults. Thank you.

Deepak45, it is not a simple, non-agressive response from you but a demoralizing act. Just because somebody does protest, a bunch of Americans get angry is not going to stop the imm officers from adjudicating your case and my case.

Jobs lost by americans is not India or someother country's conspiracy. That is totally a different animal that you have to deal with.

You can join many out of context things together and expect similar reactions as you mentioned. You cannot stop living life with the fear that something might happen at every walk of your life.

Bottom line, if you were expressing your opinion, you keep it to yourself like you did when you faxed and email your campaigns instead of coming out in publc expresssing opinions.

WE WONT STOP BUT DO PROTEST ANYWAYS

kadamtal:

I can see your young blood doing the talking. I am quoting below your own paragraph. Americans can/will say the same thing to us all... to keep our opinions to ourselves rather than protesting against their govt agencies. Jobs lost to overseas and granting GCs to H1-Bs are not two different things. Apply yourself just a bit and you will see how they are tied so together.

Do not let my emails demoralize you so easily. Be strong.

An alternative is to personally submit (as a group) a peaceful and humbling petition at Senator, Representative offices.

I am concerned that your protest and offensive slogans against USCIS will only serve as yet another bottleneck to the GC process.

Originally posted by kadamtal

Bottom line, if you were expressing your opinion, you keep it to yourself like you did when you faxed and email your campaigns instead of coming out in publc expresssing opinions.

WE WONT STOP BUT DO PROTEST ANYWAYS [/B]

Hey, those slogans are not half as bad! :) Which one of you doesn't believe it as true?

Incredibly Nightmarish Suffering ??? I have been through 6 rounds of lay offs!! I crossed over to the otherside of Nightmares and now nothing scares me any more!

Beastly Cruel Intolerably Slow ??? 18 months in labor while 245(i) cases were being processed. I know a couple of people who applied 2 weeks after me, and are now leaving the country because their labor is still not approved after 2 and a half years. Followed by 18 months of 485 waiting, with no end in sight.

Unimpressive How many approvals have you seen in the past 2 years?
Specious There is no freeze! There is no freeze!
Criminal Read the story of Aram Arumugam here
Immoral Taking money and not doing the job?
Service Isn't that what they are?

There is an element of truth in those slogans. Personally, I can understand the need to not antagonize the INS, but those slogans are definitely not "anti-government slogans" as deepak45 calls them. They are the truth! And though it hurts, I challenge anyone to dispute the above with me.

It is not necessary to put them on the plycards, but there is no harm in putting forth what we believe to be true.

deepak45,

Interestingly I can see your point of view about why people should not protest and stick to email/fax campaigns. But this thing has really lit a fire under people. I haven't seen so many people willing to participate in a community effort for a very long time. This is America, there is no harm in protesting peacefully. As far as Americans reacting with outrage, you must remember we are not in the same category as Outsourcing, low paid H1's etc. We are fighting for immigration, legal residence, putting us on even par with them. If illegal immigrants can take bus loads of people to DC, can't we stage a small protest?

As far as updating the thread when you send a fax/email is concerned, the only reason it is done is to encourage others in the belief that they are not alone. By giving concrete numbers some people are encouraged, others are shamed, into joining up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard in the news this morning that there is a new court ruling about additional powers given to the police to control protests based on security reasons.While the court upheld people's right to protest, they also outlined the police powers to curb them. I do not know specific details.Please look into this before D-day.

Good luck!!

When you stop having an argument, will you update us on the date, time and place of the rally? Also I would like to know if you/we have police approval for this (in case we need it. Sorry I didn't enquire myself.)
Thx.

To All,
All rally details are updated regularly in the first Post of this thread. Rally is still on and we need everyone's positive attitude & participation. Slogans that this forum approved on are posted in there as well.

The Rally is scheduled for Friday April 9th 2004 Noon Time.

1. Location of the rally/meeting place.
630 Sansome Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
go to:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/sanfran/aboutus.htm
for information on how to get there...

2. I will try to contact the SF police station in the area & find out more about what we can/can't do.

3. By the end of this week we need to call and let all news agencies in the area know about the rally.

Hussein,

This is good effort. Even though my case is pending in CSC, I am in NJ now. So I cant join this rally personally, but in spirit yes.

I was also wondering if CNN would be interested in this??? Even a snippet of this protest in the prime-time news would do a lot of publicity. Just my thought. Wanted to run this by the forum. any comments / suggestions please. I will look up on who/how to contact in CNN.

I know CNN has been airing this outsourcing thing for sometime now, but this is different ...............

Brokenarrow,
Thanks for your support. I think we are trying to target as many news media coverage as possible. so by all means pleas do let the news media know.

To Kashmir & 140 also others,

Is there a summary & statistics highlighting the issues and concerns that we can print & possibly handout at the rally to people asking of the reason for the rally & also it will be used as our statement to the media that might cover this or interview some of us.

Thaks