options for people who ALREADY quit their sponserer "sooner"

JoeF said:
By the time I got my GC, I was way past the 30 year mark, and I was certainly not junior. I was treated like every other employee, I was given the same opportunities for promotions, etc.
Anything else would have been grounds for a discrimination lawsuit. Companies can not do this kind of stuff. Some local HR people may try, but if that stuff is brought to the attention of headquarters, heads would roll in HR.
Stuff like this would be really bad PR, and the shareholders wouldn't be happy, and heads at the highest management levels would roll...
The policy of favoring people who have worked for sometime with the company vs the people who have joined recently with the same years of exp. is a well established practice. I think HQ has established this practice!

Challenge To Joef

JoeF said:
Hmm, so Microsoft, Intel, IBM, Oracle, what-have-you pay low salaries?
I am sorry, but your statement doesn't fly as a general statement. Furthermore, what does constitute a low salary? Salaries in big cities or technological areas like Silicon Valley are usually higher than salaries in the Mid-West. But the cost of living also differs.
Sure, some companies may be on the low side, but the big companies can't even afford that. The anti-immigrants are only waiting for a big company to undercut salaries. That would give them ammunition, and would be a complete PR nightmare for the company. Better pay the couple dollars for normal salaries than losing multi-billion dollar sales due to the bad PR that undercutting salaries would bring.
JOEF, check out the website at
http://archive.flcdatacenter.com/casesearch.asp for any employer of your choice(I won't take names) in your state of california for H-1 b wages. They pay around 65-70K(very few above 80K). Now look at the average wages in San Jose County california, for systems software engineers for which many of these people are hired:
Area Code: 7400
Area Title: San Jose, CA PMSA
OES/SOC Code: 15-1032
OES/SOC Title: Computer software engineers, systems software
Level 1 Wage: $34.04 hour - $70,803 year
Level 2 Wage: $40.96 hour - $85,197 year
Level 3 Wage: $47.88 hour - $99,590 year
Level 4 Wage: $54.80 hour - $113,984 year
GeoLevel: 1

-- Shows you clearly that they are paying level 1 wage prevalent in that area, ie. BS degree with no exp. Now look at the employees they sponsor H-1 for -- they need a minumum of MS degree with a couple years exp. or an internship. Figure out for yourself which wage level they should be paying.

hipka said:
Thats right, thats the reason I am planning to head back to india after getting my citizenship and start something of my own. I have extensively searched jobs in the midwest area, but nobody is ready to hire for management positions unless you are above 30. Also the culture in 'traditional companies ' favours people who have worked for a long time with the same employer. Probably people working in the IT sector will not realise this as they switch companies frequently. Maybe people in this forum are mainly from the IT sector, thats the reason they are complaining so bitterly about my posts!

Yeah you are one of those who want to have the cake and eat it too. Well doesn't everybody want that, but you seem to trying to give a valid explanation for that.
Let me address the issue of promotions in a company. From your talk it is sure that you are either pissed with some things happening with you or somene very close in your company. Every company is there to make profit, and every manager gets incentive from the people above him if he keeps people under him without promoting. Believe me no company is happy in giving promotions to anyone unless they are forced to by any of the following factors/situation. I am also listing how far you can climb the ladder in ech situation.

-- The employee is very good technically and there is a danger that he will leave unless promoted. This is good for anyone be it 10years, 5 years or only 1 year experience people. This kind of a employee will get promoted as long as he is better than others in the group. He wont go much higher though.

-- The Company has done extremely well in the year and they want to keep the momentum going and would like to keep the employees who made it happen. This kind of employee will also not climb much, maybe a few steps.

-- When they want to convert a contractor to an employee who the company thinks they cannot afford to loose. This man could be given a better position than the person who is already an employee with the same experience. It all depends how good a negotiator the employee is in getting the right package. Here a lot of things matter, such of H1, EAD and GC. But I have seen a person who can negotiate well and who does not care much about the GC stuff can anytime negotiate a good salary. Mind you,if there are two persons with exactly same experience one with H1 and one with GC then its possible that the H1 person may end up with a better package than the GC person. It all how you play the employer.
This kind has a good probably of steadily climbing given he keep his negotiating ability.

-- If the employee is a relative of someone in the higher management.
This employee can reach the top of the company in a very short period.

-- A good A*&* Licker, who can shine the upper management balls in a very good way.
This employee will also start climbing fast but will get stuck if he encounters a manager who does not like all this stuff and who can see through all the licking, so its risky.

-- If the employee has some special talents (provide sexual favours to people who matter).
for this employee sky is the limit, only limited by the favourable sexual orientation of the person above him.

-- Lastly if you have some pictures of someone top in the management in some compromising situation.
This is very risky but if the employee can play the game properly then his climb is only limited to the level of the person of whose pictures he is carrying.

Believe me they will not just offer you more money because you have a GC. If you have a GC and are still scared about negotiating then you will get a bad deal. At the same time GC helps build confidence in you. Just that nothing else.

neocor

JoeF said:
Hmm, how to screw up with statistics...
From the site you mention:
"Data is currently available for certifications completed between 10/01/2000 and 9/30/2003."
What a surprise that the wages are low... This is data from the recession after the dot-com crash. Of course the salaries were lower then.
And you don't even provide a source for the average salary you quote, nor for what timeframe that was the average...
Thats not true, the recission ended in 2002. Why is there not an increase in wages in 2003? Also check out the salary of an engineer (software for comparision) of any reputed tech company you know( we are not even talking about startups and small companies here ). They hire only the best engineers from top univ's like stanford, caltech etc. so ideally they should be making around 113,984 a year, worst case $100K a year. What's was the average pay for engineers during 2000-2003 --> between 45K - 70K !(check out that website, anything above 80K was only for managers/project leads).
Why is there such a huge gap in the salary? almost 40K? Does lack of negotiating skills make such a big difference? Are engineers coming out of top univ's. bad negotiators ? Did the recession reduce wages by upto 40K ? Now you know that GC makes a difference!
MY SOURCE IS THE DOL WEBSITE.
Area Code: 7400
Area Title: San Jose, CA PMSA
OES/SOC Code: 15-1032
OES/SOC Title: Computer software engineers, systems software
Level 1 Wage: $34.04 hour - $70,803 year
Level 2 Wage: $40.96 hour - $85,197 year
Level 3 Wage: $47.88 hour - $99,590 year
Level 4 Wage: $54.80 hour - $113,984 year
GeoLevel: 1

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
Says who?
Because there still was recession...
Your main mistake is believing a website. I know good foreign computer science people with PhD, and they had no problem whatsoever to get more than $100K/year.
Oh, and "reputed tech companies" don't just hire Caltech or Stanford grads. You won't find many Caltech or Stanford people in software engineering positions, for example, because that's not where the strengths of these universities are. I know several CS PhDs at Microsoft and Google, and they are from the UC system (and get top dollars.) The school and even the degree is not overly important, the quality is what counts.
There isn't. There just seems to be one because of statistics mistakes.
Link, please. My assertion is that you are comparing apples and oranges.
Heres the link
http://archive.flcdatacenter.com (run a search with a company of your choice)
What! my source is the DOL website, if thats wrong then whats right?? I didn't say only, I said mostly. Heres a sample search from a reputed software company in california starting from oct. 2003

Name","Nbr_Immigrants","Job_Title","DOL_DECISION_DATE","Certified_Begin_Date","Certified_End_Date","Approval_Status","Wage_Rate_1","Rate_Per_1","Prevailing_Wage_1","Wage_Source_1"
"XXX Inc ","001","Member of Technical Staff (Hardware) ","4/14/2003","10/01/2003","10/01/2006","Certified ","69556.03000 ","Year ","73216.87000 ","Other "
"XXX Inc ","001","Member of Technical Staff (Software) ","4/18/2003","08/02/2003","03/09/2005","Certified ","71030.00000 ","Year ","73885.89000 ","Other "
"XXX Inc ","001","Member of Technical Staff (Hardware) ","4/15/2003","10/01/2003","10/01/2006","Certified ","67220.00000 ","Year ","66902.01000 ","Other "
"XXX, Inc. ","001","Member of Technical Staff (Software) ","4/18/2003","10/08/2003","03/30/2006","Certified ","71030.00000 ","Year ","73886.00000 ","Other "
"XXX Inc ","001","Member of Technical Staff (Hardware) ","4/17/2003","09/30/2003","09/30/2006","Certified ","71030.00000 ","Year ","73216.87000 ","Other "
"XXX Inc ","001","Member of Technical Staff (Hardware) ","4/15/2003","10/01/2003","02/27/2004","Certified ","85950.00000 ","Year ","89609.88000 ","Other "
"XXX Inc ","001","Member of Technical

hipka said:
TAlso the culture in 'traditional companies ' favours people who have worked for a long time with the same employer. Probably people working in the IT sector will not realise this as they switch companies frequently. Maybe people in this forum are mainly from the IT sector, thats the reason they are complaining so bitterly about my posts!

Not always true. Even IT companies favor long time employees. It's only in late 90s, when IT job market was damn good and demand was high, people used to get better deal by switching companies (and as a result they used to keep switching for better and better deals). But in "traditional" job market, faithful employees are always valued - whether it's late 80s, early 90s or now.

hipka said:
--> Why has there not been a SINGLE indian CEO of a US fortune 50 company? This is despite the fact that asians are the most highly qualified employees and score in the most in analytical tests and are more than 20% of the staff in engg. depts. of some fortune 50 companies

Because it takes time to become a CEO. High volume of Indians in hi-tech industry is very recent incident - mostly migrated in late 90s. Most of them don't have more than 15 years of experience in same industry. Think about today's CEO Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. They started their career in late 70s. Obviously there were Indian working in hi-tech industry in late 70 or early 80s. But in that time, the number of Indians were so low that probability of becoming today's CEO is pretty low too. Keep in mind, only 1 in several millions becomes a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. So you understand the probability of it even among Americans. What's the probabbility of becoming a Larry Page among all Americans? But still given this fact, the achievement of Indian in hi-tech industry or Fortune 500 companies are not all that bad. Check management level people all the Fortune 500 companies. You will find many Indian (or Asians).

JoeF said:
Hmm, no. The data is from April 2003. That's when the LCAs were approved. The H1 start date was October.
You provided the link for the flcdatacenter before, and that was not what I asked you for.
You quoted this data (what I assume is prevailing wage data):

And I asked for the link for that.

As for the FLC data, sure, that's correct (and btw, also used by the anti-immigrant site zazona.com), but my issue with that is that it is outdated. You compare data from 2003 with current prevailing wage data. And that of course makes any such comparison worthless.
From the data you quote, you can actually see that the salaries are pretty close to the prevailing wage, and sometimes exceed it:
E.g., Salary: 67220.00000, Prevailing wage: 66902.01000
Also note that at that time, the requirement was that the salary was at least 95% of the prevailing wage. That has changed to 100% recently.

The wage I quoted was from the DOL website, search for foreign labor certification. By the way companies always quote prevailing wage from 'other' sources. (check out my data). Why do they use these 'other' sources when a layman like me can easily obtain wage info from the DOL website? Pretty obviously they want to get away by paying less. So you are saying that 2003 data is useless because 2005 salaries have increased dramatically? Did the salaries really increase by 40K ? Tell me if thats true then I'll move over to california, cause in MI salaries have pretty much stagnated.

pralay said:
Because it takes time to become a CEO. High volume of Indians in hi-tech industry is very recent incident - mostly migrated in late 90s. Most of them don't have more than 15 years of experience in same industry. Think about today's CEO Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. They started their career in late 70s. Obviously there were Indian working in hi-tech industry in late 70 or early 80s. But in that time, the number of Indians were so low that probability of becoming today's CEO is pretty low too. Keep in mind, only 1 in several millions becomes a CEO of a Fortune 500 company. So you understand the probability of it even among Americans. What's the probabbility of becoming a Larry Page among all Americans? But still given this fact, the achievement of Indian in hi-tech industry or Fortune 500 companies are not all that bad. Check management level people all the Fortune 500 companies. You will find many Indian (or Asians).
Indians working in the hi-tech industry in 70's -80's were top grade,mostly from premier institutes. If they were not able to make it to the top, the present generation has little or no chance because most of them are just about average engineers. The ratio of management level is also pretty pathetic.

Looks like somebody screwed up hipka pretty bad,

and he is vomiting his anger/frustation over here.

grow up man :D

hipka said:
Indians working in the hi-tech industry in 70's -80's were top grade,mostly from premier institutes. If they were not able to make it to the top, the present generation has little or no chance because most of them are just about average engineers. The ratio of management level is also pretty pathetic.

JoeF said:
Why should I? If you want to defend your argument, you should make it easy for others to follow...
An assertion... DOL accepts other salary surveys only if they are sound.
No, I am saying that you are comparing apples with oranges. Statistics 101: how to lie with statistics. The way you use the data, you can show all and nothing. You need to use data that you can actually compare.
Did you compare salary increases? No. You only showed that there is a difference between the prevailing wage in 2003 and 2005. That is not the same as salary increase for a specific position (which you didn't show, either, anyway).
Quite frankly, you need to learn about statistics...
I will gain nothing by defending my argument. I only showed that there is a huge difference between what companies paid H-1B engineers in 2003 vs the prevailing wage in 2005.You can suggest any reason you want, comparing apples to oranges, recession, salary increase etc. but the fact is that this difference remains. DOL accepts surveys if they have followed a scientific procedure. They have neither the resources nor the will power to ensure that data collected by these surveys is accurate. It also appears that you are convinced H-1B employees are getting paid fairly. If that is your beleif you can live with it.

hipka said:

Good engineer (top grade or whatever) not necessarily makes top management person always. There is a difference. It's Steve Jobs or Bill Gates who became CEOs, not Wozniak or Paul Allen who were the real technical architects (and they are not Indians).

Secondly, I don't know which industry and which area of USA you are location, from my own experience I say that most of the big companies in SF bay area, a good number of managers are Indians. I have seen similar trend in LA area too. If you call 30, 40 or 50 percents as "pathetic", I am not sure what you want.

Changing job before 6 months safe!

I consulted a Lawyer sometime back and he told that staying with sponsoring company for 6 months is thing for old days.
Now after AC21 it does not matter as long as you you are in similar field .
What is the opinion of other buddies, I want to change the Job ASAP. In fact I was planning to use AC21 but stuck as GC got approved after 1 offer was almost finalized.

pralay said:
Good engineer (top grade or whatever) not necessarily makes top management person always. There is a difference. It's Steve Jobs or Bill Gates who became CEOs, not Wozniak or Paul Allen who were the real technical architects (and they are not Indians).

Secondly, I don't know which industry and which area of USA you are location, from my own experience I say that most of the big companies in SF bay area, a good number of managers are Indians. I have seen similar trend in LA area too. If you call 30, 40 or 50 percents as "pathetic", I am not sure what you want.
Good engineers do not necessarily make good managers, but not having a single CEO (of any large company) out of 1000's of engineers speaks for itself.Bay area may be different so I can't talk about that area.

hipka, go see a Phychatrist, someone has really messed up with your mind.
I would ask you to see your lawyer and file a lawsuit against your employer for putting you into so much mental agony.
Its a real good case for a lawsuit.

neocor

hipka said:
Good engineers do not necessarily make good managers, but not having a single CEO (of any large company) out of 1000's of engineers speaks for itself.Bay area may be different so I can't talk about that area.

First of all I don't understand why you have so much obsession of this CEO issue. Becoming CEO is totally different ballgame from engineering. I hope you understand the difference after working in industry for number of years.

Secondly, I replied against your comment "the ratio of management level is also pretty pathetic". Now you narrowing it down from "management level" to "CEO" to justify your point. :rolleyes:

As I said earlier, I would not expect engineers, who just landed in this country only 15 or 10 years back, to become CEO. Yes, you are right - most of the engineer immigranted to USA in last 20 years are "average engineers". Probably many of them don't have instincts to become CEO (or infact top managment people). Some of them are just happy to raise kids, become a homeowner and a have a mini-van.

hipka said:
You won't talk like this after 10 years. In fact in a few years you'll begin to agree with me. Mark this if you like

To be frank, hipka, you are the only second Indian in last 8 years I saw with same thought-line, even though I meet with many Indians everyday (and many of them are living happily here for more than 10 years). So my assumption is that meeting a person like you is as rare as meeting an Indian CEO. :)

hipka said:
LSI Logic has an Indian CEO. Computer Associates *had* an Indian CEO. I am not sure how many others have but you are missing one of the biggest point and that is, being a CEO takes your life away and I am sure, most of the Indians or for that matter, anyone would like to make a CEO salary but most of them don't have the desire or the will as it takes away the fine qualities of a family life. You become mechanical and have to constantly think about the job 24x7.

FWIW, my wife already complains that I am working a lot even though I am spending barely 8 - 9 hours at the job. To each his own.

You can even build an analogy with Female Presidents of USA. How many are there? None! Are they not smart enough?