• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Options for J1/J2, J2 DV-2008 winner

noktuki

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

My wife (J2) and arrived on my J1 program (Fulbright grant) in USA last month. She is a DV2008 winner (received NL from KCC in May). We weighted the options and decided to go on J1/2. We have 212(e) - 2 year HRR.

I'd like to know:
1. What are the chances, if any, for us to get the GCs if we file for the DV2008 (We still didn't file it)?
2. Is there any other way of getting GC besides waiver?
3. When should we start the waiver process?
4. What are the odds to get the waiver?
5. What are the implications to our J1/2 status if we apply for GC?

When we received our visas in US Embassy back home, the officer asked my wife about the DV program, and, while giving us visas, congratulated her on winning DV2008 and wished her good luck with the DV lottery processing.
Was that just an ironic remark or is there a real possibility for getting it?

Regards,
Noktuki

1. What are the chances, if any, for us to get the GCs if we file for the DV2008 (We still didn't file it)?
since you chose to proceed with J-1 Fulbright program, your chances of getting a waiver and a GC are NULL. Do read up on Fullbrighters and their chances for waivers. Null. Sorry.

2. Is there any other way of getting GC besides waiver?
no

3. When should we start the waiver process?
it's futile. The Fulbright organization will not issue a positive recommendation. There is a special subsection on J-1 visas and waivers on this forum. Read through it.

4. What are the odds to get the waiver?
null to none.

5. What are the implications to our J1/2 status if we apply for GC?
you cannot apply for a GC until you have a waiver.

Was that just an ironic remark or is there a real possibility for getting it?
either ironic, or the officer was new and didn't know much about Fulbrighters.

Didn't we already explain it to you some time ago? maybe, that was somebody else...

since you chose to proceed with J-1 Fulbright program, your chances of getting a waiver and a GC are NULL. Do read up on Fullbrighters and their chances for waivers. Null. Sorry.

no

it's futile. The Fulbright organization will not issue a positive recommendation. There is a special subsection on J-1 visas and waivers on this forum. Read through it.

null to none.

you cannot apply for a GC until you have a waiver.

either ironic, or the officer was new and didn't know much about Fulbrighters.

Didn't we already explain it to you some time ago? maybe, that was somebody else...

Thanks LucyMo,

Yes, you explained the (similar situation) a while back, but the officer at the embassy gave me a reason to doublecheck.
Anyways, thank you for your effort.

the officers at the embassy do not deal with waiver applications, and they do not know how difficult it is to get a waiver. Good luck.