Options for Canadian Professional

seadog

So I recently graduated from a professional program in Canada, did very well, have a couple years professional experience, and would love to get down to the states for a while just to get away from the cold and experience something a bit different.

I've looked a fair bit into it, and I'm amazed at how difficult it is, almost to the point of not believing it, so I'm hoping someone here can show me why I'm wrong. Am I correct that the only way for a Canadian citizen to be able to go there on a whim and look for work/switch employers is with a Green Card and 3-5 years, more or less identicle to the process someone from say India would? I know in Europe someone from say Poland can work anywheres in the EU no problems. I find it amazing I can't find anything like that for Canada/US, not even restricted to professionals. Likewise with the whole H1B thing. Are Canadians in the same boat for those 65k visas as the rest of the world despite their numerous commonalities? Are Canadians truely that boxed in? It seems even Europe or parts of Asia have hassles no where near as stringent as these.

I imagine my best bet is the TN visa, but even still... Companies I've dealt with are very hesitant to deal with ANY visa situation, and the 'temporary' thing only grows their worry.

Why do they make it so difficult, especially for nearby professionals? I'd like to know how many societies have crumbled due to having too many engineers, lawyers and doctors.

And of course the salt in the wound is the whole GC in 6 months for someone who manages to find 1 of the 150m of the opposite sex down there to marry. Any security or public resources based argument for keeping professionals out is essentially shot to pieces when they'll let any jobless drifter in in 10% of the time.

So it sounds like you suffer from the same defeatist attitude that made me want to leave Canada in the first place. Also sounds like you're getting all sorts information/misinformation.

So let's start. Tell us what you do for a living and maybe we can help you.

Well you can tell the potential employers that you would not be applying for any type of visa, rather you are applying for a TN which is a status and not a visa.

Many companies think the TN is as complex as the visas are and groups them into the same catagory with out reazling it takes very little effort on their part to get someone there on a TN Status. Basically a form or two (been a long time since I was on one), a check for whatever it is and then a letter to you stating your salary, job title and that the job is temporary (doesn't have to be, but just as long as it states it). I was on my 'temporary' TN for 8 years before getting a GC and then citizenship.

If you come across that, you should show the potential employer how easy filling out a TN status for you would be (there are websites, but can't think of any at the moment) that are specifically for explaning what the TN is compared to work visas and how to do it and the ease of it all.

Once you get the job, (considering the job title matches your degree, exp etc.) then you come on over and work as a TN for a year or 10. If you're lucky they might sponsor you for a GC, or maybe you'll meet the partner of your dreams etc.

Hope this helps. Most situations the employer is just misinformend or uneducated with what exactly a TN reaally is...

With the advent of the internet you can easily access and surf the web for job opporunities. Why don't you search for jobs at Yahoo! MSN, and Monster Jobs. These are great sites to browse. And if you think a particular job opportunity is a fit to your qualifications, then give it a try. It is by taking a chance that we succeed

First off I'm an mechanical engineer from Atlantic Canada, couple years solid experience, finished towards top of class. Not P.Eng quite yet but I have my degree so as I understand it thats enough for TN.

Initially I was applying for jobs, and as soon as I said Canada they asked about a green card and when I said no they said their company will not sponsor people. I then informed them of TN Visas which require no sponsorship per se, and again they said they refuse to sponsor people. That happened a couple times.

I've looked into it, seen the sites, read the sample letters, and started putting "PS: no special visas needed due to my professional status under NAFTA/must be renewed annually" on my cover letters. I've had considerably better success however as soon as I mention TN-1 'VISA' and 'temporary status for one year' they seem to ignore the subsequent 'no fees to you/only requires a 1-2 page letter/takes 30 minutes' and 'renewable indefinitely'. Additionally I have a particular site I refer them to as well. What strategies do you use to convince companies that its easy as it is?

Hence which brings me here, if I could simply go to the states with as few hassles as say EU nationals have country to country and find a job once I'm there, I imagine I'd have companies coming to me there as they are here. But in order to do that am I right in my assertion that you need a GC which takes several years?

I guess I'm just frustrated by the whole process. I don't want to whine but it really doesn't seem fair. And not to sound too egotistical, but its in my, the employer's, and the average US citizen's best interest to have people like me down there (professionals). Numerous other developed bordering countries make it easy to work with each other, and its just mind-boggling that the US makes it so difficult. Canada and especially this region constantly complains of brain drain to the states, but I don't see how its possible!

The reality is that there are US companies which I would say very nationalistic, they don' want to hire people from foreign countries eventhough they possess exceptional abilities. Obviously the company you applied for is one of them. Don't feel discouraged, move on and explore other options. Definitely there are hundreds of potential US employers who would be more than willing to hire you under a TN work status. You have good credentials which could easily qualify for TN. Remember patience is virtue. It would just be a matter of time. Good luck!

You are doing well to confront and allay fears about 'sponsorship'. This will go a long way.

however as soon as I mention TN-1 'VISA'...

Well there's a start, stop using Visa for a TN in your letters. Employers who are not familiar with the TN will mistakenly think it is a Visa and think it's a hassle to get you over here as they've probably experienced real visa work issues before or heard about them. TN Status is a lot easier then a visa, you need to rephrase your letters and not give them any more reason to not want to hire you.

Change it to something like you qualify under the TN status as blah blah (engineering or whatever it is). You may want to give them some info on why a TN status is not a visa at all so they can get that negative image out of their minds.

I had run into this myself as well as others as we had mistakenly thought a TN was a visa. Once we got educated that it wasn't, employers seemed to have a better understanding about it and we got hired. They just clumped TN with H1B's which is a visa.

So stop giving them the the wrong impression and maybe that will help you out some more...

I wonder if not hiring a Canadian TN Professional violates equal opportunity employment laws in the US and if this could be grounds for a lawsuit. This situation is a bit similar to having an EAD (work permit) card and the US employer doesn't hire you because of that. TN is also a "work permit". The three countries (Canada, US and Mexico) agreed to hire each other's TN Professionals so they should abide by the treaty. If not a lawsuit, perhaps this can be taken to the NAFTA panel or something.

Anyway, back to our friend! A few pieces of advice from my own experience:

1. Write in you resume (not just the cover letter as it is thrown away these days): Authorized to work in the US under NAFTA Treaty (TN). This helped me a lot.

2. Do not use the word visa. Use words like work permit or status.

3. The closer the state is to Canada/Mexico, the better your chances are because they are more familiar with TN.

4. Avoid what I call "red-necks" or xenophobic Americans. I have lived in both US and Canada and in different states so I can testify racism and xenophobia still exists in the US in a very strong form. You are better off not working for these kinds of Americans even if they give you a job. You don't want them to make fun of your Canadian accent on a daily basis if you know what I mean. In some cases it's even worse. They have told me to go back to Canada at the workplace and I have responded: Why did you vote for republicans because NAFTA is a republican product? You don't like NAFTA, talk to your congressman. But as long as there is NAFTA, you must tolerate my presence!

5. Try states like California where there are a lot of foreign workers and the companies there are familiar with things like TN, H1 etc.

I wonder if not hiring a Canadian TN Professional violates equal opportunity employment laws in the US and if this could be grounds for a lawsuit. This situation is a bit similar to having an EAD (work permit) card and the US employer doesn't hire you because of that.

It's nowhere close. An EAD confers work authorization independently of any action by the potential employer and the company need not do anything in order for employment to be authorized. A TN, on the other hand, requires the employer to provide an offer of employment.

The three countries (Canada, US and Mexico) agreed to hire each other's TN Professionals so they should abide by the treaty. If not a lawsuit, perhaps this can be taken to the NAFTA panel or something.

They agreed to create a legal framework to allow their professionals to work legally in each country, which they have done. There is no obligation placed upon employers in any country to force them to hire foreign nationals who do not already possess employment authorization.

Try states like California where there are a lot of foreign workers and the companies there are familiar with things like TN, H1 etc.

My own personal experience (take it for what little it's worth) is that the less familiar they are with the system, the more flexibility you have and the better it will work out for you. Employers highly knowledgeable in immigration matters tend to be able to use the system to maximize their advantage relative to the employee.

I'd focus on getting someone to really WANT to hire you; things from there can generally work themselves out. If an employer cannot be bothered to write a TN letter, they sure as heck won't exert themselves for you at any other time. Why do you want to work for such a company, never mind force them to hire you?

I'd focus on getting someone to really WANT to hire you; things from there can generally work themselves out. If an employer cannot be bothered to write a TN letter, they sure as heck won't exert themselves for you at any other time. Why do you want to work for such a company, never mind force them to hire you?

Good point, a good employer will pay and get the materials ready for a TN. Like my job I first had and had a TN for 8 years, though they no longer accepted new TN holders, they kept us on there that were already TN and working. Not only will they set it up, but also they should pay for it and do this every year you are working there. An even better company should then after awhile start you on getting something more permenent.

If they can't be bothered, then you'll be doing a lot of this all on your own and chances are you'll never get permenent status working for them...

I am in the same situation too. Unfortunately there is not much can be done to convince the employers about the ease of our Canadian Status. You are absolutely right about the fact that EU has managed to deal with immigration policy where US/Canada are just moving apart every day.