OPT vs CPT - need some clarifications

vikas129

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have some questions about the OPT vs CPT, and will appreciate if someone can respond asap:

1. I have a MS from a US university, and I applied for my 12 months of OPT after completing that (but used only 8 months). Can I apply for an OPT again?

2. If I can not apply for another OPT, can I use the CPT option for my summer intersnship? Is the CPT school specific, or does every university has this provision? Any ideas?

3.How long does it take to receive the I-20 once I submit the required paperwork?

4. I am currently on an H1-B. Once I recieve my I-20, I will apply for a change of status (COS) within US. How long the COS process take?

5. Can one continue to work after applying for a COS? Or the day one applies for COS is the last day for the present employment?

6. Can one start at some school after getting the receipt for COS application?

Thanks.

1. I have a MS from a US university, and I applied for my 12 months of OPT after completing that (but used only 8 months). Can I apply for an OPT again?

No, if you are planning to use the rest of your old OPT. You can apply for another OPT if you enter a PhD program, though.

2. If I can not apply for another OPT, can I use the CPT option for my summer intersnship? Is the CPT school specific, or does every university has this provision? Any ideas?

Every university can issue you a permission to do CPT. You can definitely apply for CPT after two semesters in F-1 status.

3.How long does it take to receive the I-20 once I submit the required paperwork?

Depends on the school's busy schedule. Anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

4. I am currently on an H1-B. Once I recieve my I-20, I will apply for a change of status (COS) within US. How long the COS process take?

3-4 months.

5. Can one continue to work after applying for a COS? Or the day one applies for COS is the last day for the present employment?
You can work until you get a notice that your change of status to F-1 is approved. If it is denied, then you can keep working until your H1 status expires.

6. Can one start at some school after getting the receipt for COS application?

On H1B you can study part-time or even full-time (as long as you continue working full time and it's your main occupation) without even changing status to F-1.
You cannot, however, get an I-20, start studying full-time and stop working on H1 just because you file an application to change status. You can do it only after the change of status is approved.

F2's ability to work

Hi,

Can a person on an F2 visa work on-campus? If yes, is there any limit on the number of hours one can work?

Thanks.

No, a person in F2 status is not allowed to work on-campur or off-campus. If you are in F1, you can seek an employment on-campus for upto 20 hrs a week.