OPT->PhD->New F-1?

Luci_merlion

Registered Users (C)
I am on OPT and was recently accepted in a PhD program in Psychology. I understand that the new university will be able to transfer my SAVIS from my old uni. Can the transfer be done if I am on OPT? Provided that they issue a new I-20, after that will I need to send any papers to USCIS? Do they need to give me a new F-1 or does the transfer imply that I do not have to send any papers to USCIS (like I did when I did my change of status from J1 to F1 back in 2003)? My current F-1 status is valid for "duration of status." How does this work? I'm confussed.

Also, do schools usually verify that the amount one has on a bank statement actually exists in the bank? I'm thinking to borrow some money from a friend and give it back to her after I get the statement for the new I-20. I do have some savings and the school will give me graduate assistanship, so paying for the school won't be an issue...but thet still require 31,000$ in the bank and this i cannot afford.

Thank you!

usually the school doesn't require a bank statement if they are offering you a graduate assistantship. The international center specifies it on your I-20.

Since you are in F-1 status, you will have no contact with USCIS.

You will get a new I-20, and as soon as you do, the rest of your OPT will be forfeited. You may want to time getting a new I-20 right at the expiration of the OPT. You will have 60 days to do so, and then you need to start school in the first available semester within 5 months.

Thank you very much for your answer.

They said I was on the waiting list for the graduate assistanship and that the admission is conditional based on my submission of the financial documents.

I wish I didn't have to show the bank statement anymore. I recently got married to an U.S. citizen, but because in the past I entered the U.S. with J1 visa (and possibly subject to 212e), I cannot adjust status and show proof that I'll become resident.

Right now I'm trying to get a copy of my IAP-66 which I've lost in 2001. With that I'm thinking to either apply for advisory opinion ( I understands it takes 4to 6 weeks to get an answer). If they say I'm subject, then I need the waiver to apply for green card. I understand that the waiver may take as long as 5 months to obtain. While the waive will be pending can I apply for AOS? I'm trying to do this the right way and be able to go back to school. I just don't know if I'll have enough time to send the papers for AOS before school starts at the end of August.

Phewwwww it is getting complicated.