OPT expires to H1-B

Desi Hokie

Registered Users (C)
I filed for H1-B and got the receipt . My OPT expired June 5th 2006.
After the 60 days grace period ,

1. Is my stay legal as I filed for change of status during my OPT (valid status) ?

2.Could any one suggest any ways to make the stay legal ?

3. If I receive approval notice during the grace period , then what would be situation ?

Thanks,
desi.

1. your stay is legal as long as petition is pending., but you can not work.
3. Once approval comes during grace period, you have to leave before grace period is over.

Thank You.

My grace period expires AUgust 1st , what do I do if I don't receive approval by then ?

Thanks,
Desi.

Desi Hokie said:
Thank You.

My grace period expires AUgust 1st , what do I do if I don't receive approval by then ?

Thanks,
Desi.
If your approval did not come before Aug1, you can still stay beyond aug 1 legally, but if approval comes between aug1 and H1 start date(oct 1 ?), you'll immediately go out of status upon approval.

Thank You for the information.

What would be the best thing to do ?
I was planning to do Kaplan course till Oct to get an I-20 .

If I continue my course till Oct , Do I have to still leave the country before I start my job in October ?

Thank You once again

Regards,
Desi.

GotPR? said:
If your approval did not come before Aug1, you can still stay beyond aug 1 legally, but if approval comes between aug1 and H1 start date(oct 1 ?), you'll immediately go out of status upon approval.

how does she stay legally if she doesn't get her approval by Aug 1st?

I applied for H1B and haven't heard anything from USCIC. They are supposed to get back to me in 15 days and this is the 13th day. Desi, are we in the same situation here?

StillHoping said:
how does she stay legally if she doesn't get her approval by Aug 1st?
many infos are missing in your question.
What's your current status, is your h1 extension or brandnew under quota ?

Last edited by a moderator:
GotPR? said:
many infos are missing in your question.
What's your current status, is your h1 extension or brandnew under quota ?

My OPT expired July 4th 2006. I am applying for H1B-1 (brand new). I read on USCIS website that FY 2007 quota has reached and application after May 28th 2006 will not be considered. I sent my application on June 22 and Vermont Service Center received it June 23rd. I have premium processing and today is Day 13. I fear the worst.

If you applied for regular quota, i'm afraid you did miss it this year.
You can stay til Sep 4, but not after that unless you have other status.

GotPR? said:
If you applied for regular quota, i'm afraid you did miss it this year.
You can stay til Sep 4, but not after that unless you have other status.

is there other quota? I didn't know that USCIS would add the unused H1b-1 visas to the regular H1B visa. Don't think I have other ways to stay in the US after Sept 4. Any suggestions?

still hoping

If you have US masters degree , you have a seperate 20,000 (exempt) , I believe around 14,000 are already gone.

COS approval

Iam joining Kaplan just before the expiration of my grace period.

What is the possibility of COS approval ?

I see that it's done very randomly ?

Does joining in Kaplan improves the chances of approval ?

Thanks,
Desi Hokie.

Desi Hokie said:

Thanks,
Desi Hokie.

kaplan the teaching institute?..if yes my friend you are loosing your money there...you will just have a human body reading the book in front of classroom..all so quick as they need to cove rthe contents in a short number of weeks.

Desi Hokie said:

Thanks,
Desi Hokie.
Buddy, what do you mean by COS approval?... Please explain... me and my friend will be in the same situation next year...

Also, How can joining in Kaplan improve your chances of approval?... I thought Kaplan course was to stay in status... How can it help?...

COS is Change Of Status.
F1 to H-1B with out leaving the country.

My attorney asked me enroll in any course to maintain status after grace period . CIS people might check the current status as 60 days grace period after OPT let you transfer to any other school.

In case CIS send me a query regarding my current status, I will have a Kaplan I-20 .

Try to avoid this situation , It's terrible , there is no hard and fast rule regarding the COS .

hi,

I am also in a similar kind of a situation. My OPT expires in Feb, though I got 2 offers, I am not able to apply for H1 bcoz the quota is over.
I was just reading the posts here, could someone tell me what I need to register in Kaplan to get an alternate status ? Can I work during that period ?

One more question, if I apply for the Masters quota for next year, would my H1 start in Oct or can it start anytime before that ?

thanks in advance,

shrek81

Last edited by a moderator: