OPT expires in a week, H1B quota up, expemtion possible for school teachers?

kiranmn

Hello, my sister's OPT expires in a few days time. She just got a teacher job at a public school and has started working there. Her lawyer neglected sending the H1B application on time, and now the quota is up. I have a couple of questions:

1. The lawyer was saying that she can work for 2 months after the OPT period has expired. Is that true? Is there an extension to file?
2. The school is in terrible need of teachers and were very happy to have her join. Since it is a public school and there is all this talk of teacher shortage, is there any way she could get an exemption so that she could continue working? The school would give any supporting documents required.

many thanks!

Kiran

Last edited by a moderator:
hey,
Are u sure teachers come under H-1 B cap? i think people in academic fields donot come under these regulations.
zoke

Which school district

zoke said:
hey,
Are u sure teachers come under H-1 B cap? i think people in academic fields donot come under these regulations. Which school district. Only some schools come under non-profit org category. Is she has school credential to teach (State license)

Last edited by a moderator:
Credential

kiranmn said:
She is in Howard County school district in Maryland. For teache INS (H1) definitely ask State credentials. Did she has the credential passed (ELementary/Highschool etc). The school seems to be non-profit org and no cap

How do you know if your company qualify for H1B exemption? I will be working for a non-profit hospital on my EAD. Just want to know if H1B is an option in case my I140/485 got denied. Thanks!

Thanks UN, you're quick! No, the hospital is not affliated with any university. It owns by a catholic charity organization.
Did you notice the recent CSC processing time? It is already processing Dec 2003's I140 and Nov 2003's I485. Hope that my case will be processed soon and I won't have to worry about it.
How are you later? Are you back to work?

sorry to hear that, but I guess you're enjoying your life, right?
So you need a job in the same/similar job in order to continue the I485. Is there a time limit that you have to be employed again?