OPT/EAD for Aug start date

OPToasis

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering when the 90-120 days actually begins? Is it the day that the office receives your paper work, the day your check is cleared or ???

Also after receiving your receipt normally how long should it take to obtain your EAD. I received mine around June 12.

I should be starting work in Aug but if i dont get my card soon im probably jobless

Its taking around 2.5-3 months from Receipt date to get ur OPT EAD these days. so may be sometime by August end u can expect ur EAD.
Mine was filed on MAy19th at TSC and is still under processing... Its almost 2 months now.. It may be the end of this moth or 1st week of August before I can get my EAD..

however when you check on thier website they are still processing forms from April. does that mean longer then 2.5-3 months?

Also i have a kind fo interesting case.

first, i left the country after my dean told me it would not be ap problem. however now i cant re-enter the country without my EAD. would it have been possible to get an interm IED if i was in the country? is it possible outside of the country?

Also, my company already has a H1 for me (starts in October) but i start working in August. is there anything i can do to get back in the country.

Also has it ever been know that someone gets fired for not starting work on their due date because of OPT issues.

Waiting for EAD

Hi
First of all I would like to say that US is no better in systems and all.

I applied for my EAD on April 10,06. Recieved a Notice April 12,06(Pretty fast).
Went for my FP and sent all the supporting documentation by 22nd May.

From that day I have been checking my case status on the website and it dint change. It still shows case last updated on 22nd May,06.
What does this mean ? no case updation ,means nobody did anything on my case.
The website shows that they are now processing cases of April,16.

Never mind. I had applied for job at few places and told them That I ll get my EAD ontime depending on the processing dates.

I had to loose an opportunity . then I thought I ll apply for the interim ead. Sensing no updation on my case i applied for Interim when it was close to 90 days.

I got an appointment and went to get my EAD.

After all the hurdles when I reached the EAd window, she took my papers and asked me to wait. After waiting for half an hr she called me to tell that they do not issue interim cards here.

I cudnt believe her words. last month my friend got her EAD from the same place and now I am denied an EAD.

I called the customer care to get correct information. After keying in my information and waiting on the phone for half an hour customer care asks the same information again and says visit the local office and local office says contact the district office............. :confused: They tell you to contact after 30 days.....

No doubt I ll be loosing the job opportunity but what makes America call them system oriented and having one of the best infrastructure.

The information they post is misleading causing suffering to people and there is no place to get correct information.

Anyone who can help??i need to get the interim card to start working or else the job will be given to someone else.

If they do not issue IEAD at that office, then try another one around... I am sure u will get ur IEAD. Also try getting appointment again at the same office.. sometimes the officers dont know stuff and mess up things...
Take an infopass appointment and get it done...

Interim EAd

Hi thanksz,

yes i have taken another appointment. its only that i will have to go thru the procedure again. Its making me feel sick and disgusted to watch the USCIS website again and again.

i saw apost yesterday on the immigration portal which said that they have stopped issuing interim cards.

You said I can try somewhere else. Where else do you think I should try?

Thanks in advance

OPT OASIS,

DId u get ur COS approved on H1B? then you may have problems entering US because of the approved H1(although it may not be a big issue). And you are stuck in a bad situation because ur outside US and cannot get an IEAD outside US...Just hope ur EAD will get approved without problems.. then you will have no problems... Also remember not to ask Deans for permission... they hardly know the immigration policies... Its better u talked to your DSO at school.

I am sure u can try entering US with pending EAD application and show ur job offer. A pending EAD with a job offer will give you entry into US... please make sure this is true by calling ur DSO or talking to an immigration attorney from your company who filed ur H1B...They will be the best people to help you...

IEADs will not be issued starting from October 1st 2006 (from a post).

It depends on where you live... there should be local offices that appear when you take the infopass appointment...
try one of them...

I just found something ...may be u know it from before

see the instructions page of the I-9 form :

http://www.nd.edu/~finaid/pdfs/i-9.pdf

"Employers must complete Section 2 by examining evidence of
identity and employment eligibility within three (3) business
days of the date employment begins. If employees are
authorized to work, but are unable to present the required
document(s) within three business days, they must present a
receipt for the application of the document(s) within three
business days and the actual document(s) within ninety (90)
days."

So if my EAD card has been applied from August 1. Then I can start working and present my EAD even after 90days...when is ur joining date?

you need to read it more carefully..."...if employees are authorized to work but cannot produce documents...." this means u need the approval from USCIS...

You need approval

Hi
I think what sridevi_vangala is saying is correct. You would atleast need an approval from USCIS. My joining date is August 2.

Have you applied for Interim EAD??(mgupta)

Last edited by a moderator:
pooja,

did u get ur IEAD? I called USCIS and they said they were still issuing IEADs, atleast at my local USCIS office... can you please post if u get ur IEAD?

thanks for the update. as August 4th comes up im starting to panic a little.

anyway, so i called the us embassy içfor the country i m in. the lady i spoke with said that they could process my H1 visa. however in the e-mail i recieved last month from my lawyers (from my company), they said that my h1 visa starts october 1st.

so in sum, is there anyway to start my h1 earlier, namely august since i am already approved?

Hi Sridevi: did you call the national service number to find out about IEAD's? I read another post about IEAD being denied at Newark, and I am really tensed about that. I was planning to get my IEAD from NEWARK in 2 weeks.

Pooja: did you apply for IEAD at Newark? Did you finally get it? Good luck to you, I hope you get it so you can start at your job!

thanks a lot in advance. mehak.

I asked the customer service rep. about IEAD at Tampa USCIS. she said as of today they are still issuing EADs... I guess they are rumors that they are no longer issuing iEADs... There is no official notice from uSCIS that they are ending issue of iEADs.. if you get ur iEADs please post here

thanks agian

So i spoke to the embassy and also to my dean (of international students). he spoke to the embassy as well. now this is what he said,

" I asked her (woman at the embassy) about a person being able to apply for the visa with the receipt notice. She got off the phone, and came back and said that they did not think that was possible with just the receipt notice. I actually had just seen that in my book, and I am trying to find out more about it. It seems like it is possible, as your info has suggested, and as one line from my book has suggested."

now what i was wondering is if I already have a offer letter, an H1 visa in place for October and my receipt wouldnt that work?

obviosuly it all depends on the embassy, but do you think that would be more then enough for them to know that Im actually not trying to pull one on them

Was your COS on H1B approved? If so u have to get it stamped and enter US only 10 days before octonber 1st. Talk to ur attorney..
U can get a visa stamp only with H1B approval and job offer... I would strongly suggest you to contact ur attorney.. not the dean or the embassy...

Interim EAD

Hi,
Mehak ; Yes I applied at the Newark office. I did not get the IEAD. My friend got EAD from the same place on April 24th. There was another girl who was denied the IEAD the day I went.

The lady at the counter said they dont issue any cards here and I need to contact Vermont Service center.

I called National customer care and they say we ll return back to you in 30 days.

I have applied for another appointment on 24th July.

sridevi_vangala: you said i can apply at some other office could you please kindly guide. It shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
Pooja

pooja,

when u take infopass appointment, u will need to give ur pin code. Depending on the pin code you will get a list of nearest USCIS field offices incuding the Newark office (for ur pin code). Try taking appointment at the others... If you do not get more than one USCIS office... then I am not sure what you need to do.
In my case I get to choose between Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Westpalm beach USCIS offices. So I guess you also should be getting more options...
I am not sure why they are not issuing the iEADs. It could be just a temporary thing because there is no official update that iEADs will not issued though there was a conference in which they said that iEADs will not be issued in "future".
Please keep us posted.