on TN now, but getting married soon, need advice on timing

Maryjoe

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

Would appreciate some advice.

My existing TN doesn't expire until Apr 2015. My fiance (american citizen) and I are planning to get married, but worried if that will trigger "immigration intent" and compromise my existing TN visa.

My fiance does plan to sponsor me for a green card after we got married, but I have absolutely no clue how that works and how it will affect my TN.

Given that my TN doesn't expire till Apr 2015, can someone please give me some advice as to how we should time our marriage? Do we get married now or do we wait till early 2015 when my TN is about to expire?

Ideally, I hope I will not have to renew my TN again if my future husband can sponsor me for a green card.

Many thanks in advance.

Getting married on TN shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't leave the US until you get your paperwork.
Make sure not to leave US until you get your paperwork.
Thanks

You need to marry as son as possible. Marriage does not cancel TN, as log as it does not expire or you leave US, as Junoon said. You need to get all your paperwork filed after marriage (i-130, I-485, AP, EAD)

You can only file the I-130 once you marry, and you must stay in US all that time, sotiming is critical. Since you say your TN expires in April, I would be amking one last vist to Canada 'round November, then returning to US, marrying, and staying put.

This is a situation that ALL TNers face when they marry a USC. Easily dealt with, with the (minor) inconvenience of that 4-5 month period with no exit from US.