On H1B in U.S - Applying for Canada Citizenship

forumfan09

Registered Users (C)
I am a citizen of India currently working in U.S on H1B visa for the past 4 yrs. I can stay and work in u.s on my h1b for up to 6 yrs. I didn't apply for my GC yet and now chances of getting my GC are very less.

Some of my friends have adviced to apply for Canadian citizenship to be on the safer side in case if I don't get my GC.
I want to know whether there is any advantage of applying for Canadian citizenship. I came to know that we can work in U.S by living in Canada for atleast 1 day in 6 months after getting the citizenship of canada. Is this true?

No. I am on h1b in U.S and a citizen of India.
I want to know whether it is a good idea to apply for Canadian immigration as a backup to continue working in U.S. Please advice.

You cannot work in US just because you have Canadian immigration. Moreover in order to be eligible for Canadian citizenship you must be a permanent resident of Canada for 3 years and live there for over 1.5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian citizenship requires 3 years of permanent residency and continous stay in Canada of 1.5 years after obtaining residency. If you apply for Canadian residency now, you should get it in about 6-9 months time (fall-winter this year). You can then apply for Canadian citizenship in fall/winter 2012. Of course you will have to move to Canada and live there.

Canadians can work under TN visa which needs to be renewed every year.

Thank you so much. Can you please clarify me whether I can work in U.S by living in Canada for atleast 1 day in 6 months after getting the citizenship of canada. Do I still need to get TN visa and renew it each yr?

Please advice.

There are no residency requirements for Canadian citizens. TN status is now given for 3 years.

whether I can work in U.S by living in Canada for atleast 1 day in 6 months after getting the citizenship of canada. Do I still need to get TN visa and renew it each yr?

Canadian citizenship requires 3 years of permanent residency and continous stay in Canada of 1.5 years after obtaining residency.

There is NO requirement for continuous stay. Just a requirement of your physical presence of 1095 days as a permanent resident out of last 4 years.

I hope I can apply for Canadian immigration as a skilled worker under Category1 as stated on

How many years will it take to get the Canadian citizenship under this category?
I hope canadian citizens can work on TN visa in U.S. Please advice.

Due to recent changes in skilled worker class, the processing of skilled worker visa is faster. You may also check the AINP, in the Province of Alberta. Alberta has a special category for H1B Visa holders.

The objective of the U.S. Visa Holder Category is to facilitate the entry of U.S. visa holders currently working temporarily in the United States, into Alberta’s permanent labour force.

U.S. visa holders in specific visa categories, working in skilled occupations in high demand in Alberta, may be eligible to apply to the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) without an application from an Alberta employer.

There are no residency requirements for Canadian citizens. TN status is now given for 3 years.[/QUOT

Hi,
I want to know what kind of questions are being asked in Canada citizenship interview if you have US H1 visa. My family (my wife and my son) have 3 stamps of entering US on my passport.

Thanks,
junior

Not everyone is interviewed for Canadian citizenship. I was not interviewed.
Have you fulfilled the physical presence requirements?

I want to know what kind of questions are being asked in Canada citizenship interview if you have US H1 visa. My family (my wife and my son) have 3 stamps of entering US on my passport.

hi,
I am a citizen of India. Currently, Got my OPT visa in usa after completion of masters.
Is there any chances so that i can immigrate to canada(alberta) or Can i apply for canadian visa from usa?

Thanks