• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Old Photo used - interview result?

It's for Venezuelans living at home. The State Department does this, just like certain embassies are assigned for other places like Iran where the local embassies are closed. The statement in post 23 about Bogota being the assigned embassy was there for a reason. Such information is good to know before blithely telling people they need to bravely go forth and do stuff.
1) my question was to someone from Venezuela whom I think is more familiar with the reality on the ground, not to you, you don’t live in Venezuela.
2) the embassy designation doesn’t mean people can’t interview elsewhere if their individual circumstances allow them to, so it’s presumptuous to tell people there’s nothing to be done about their cases just because you think Venezuelans living at home “must only” interview in Colombia. Individual applicants still have the option to choose how to proceed with their applications.

1) my question was to someone from Venezuela whom I think is more familiar with the reality on the ground, not to you, you don’t live in Venezuela.
2) the embassy designation doesn’t mean people can’t interview elsewhere if their individual circumstances allow them to, so it’s presumptuous to tell people there’s nothing to be done about their cases just because you think Venezuelans living at home “must only” interview in Colombia. Individual applicants still have the option to choose how to proceed with their applications.

I understand how the Department of State does these things. If you had bothered to do a little research, including on the official DoS sites, you might get that too. You just don't seem to understand that immigrant visas have particular embassies/consulates assigned to them based on country of residence and it is not discretionary the way a tourist visa is.

I understand how the Department of State does these things. If you had bothered to do a little research, including on the official DoS sites, you might get that too. You just don't seem to understand that immigrant visas have particular embassies/consulates assigned to them based on country of residence and it is not discretionary the way a tourist visa is.
No DoS websites say you can’t interview elsewhere if individual circumstances allow, they only provide overall guidelines, and consular sections can use discretion if warranted by individual applicants’ circumstances . You seem to assume your interpretation of some embassy guidelines applies to all embassies, which is not the case.

No DoS websites say you can’t interview elsewhere if individual circumstances allow, they only provide overall guidelines, and consular sections can use discretion if warranted by individual applicants’ circumstances . You seem to assume your interpretation of some embassy guidelines applies to all embassies, which is not the case.
Like i said, i eagerly await the hordes of applicants following your advice and telling us they have been successful in getting their interview location changed to some country other than the one to which they are assigned based on country of residence.

(PS so you think "not following the rules" qualifies as discretionary circumstances, this gets better and better, lol)

Lol, No, there goes your misinterpretation again, which proves my point that your personal interpretation of what you read only means what you want it to mean. What I meant by circumstances that may allow someone to interview in a different embassy (things like reason for presence in that country,etc.), not “using an old photo”. In any case, I think this barrier presented by the embassy in Bogota is just like some other barriers on the DV journey, hammering home the point that suggests “many are chosen, but not all will ultimately succeed”. So my point is, don’t be surprised if some people living in Venezuela find an alternative to the embassy in Bogota, and are ultimately successful with their interview elsewhere, despite having used an old photo. Will you keep a survey of these successful cases? Lol smh

Lol, No, there goes your misinterpretation again, which proves my point that your personal interpretation of what you read only means what you want it to mean. What I meant by circumstances that may allow someone to interview in a different embassy (things like reason for presence in that country,etc.), not “using an old photo”. In any case, I think this barrier presented by the embassy in Bogota is just like some other barriers on the DV journey, hammering home the point that suggests “many are chosen, but not all will ultimately succeed”. So my point is, don’t be surprised if some people living in Venezuela find an alternative to the embassy in Bogota, and are ultimately successful with their interview elsewhere, despite having used an old photo. Will you keep a survey of these successful cases? Lol smh

I would certainly love to see them post their successful experiences, especially if their reason for interviewing elsewhere is something other than the obvious (that is, they actually live in the country they interview).
(Also, can we have a little more brevity and a little less hot air in your posts, please? Makes the forum so much more readable. You probably lost most of your intended audience anyway already come to think of it.)

Last edited:
You are effectively telling people to lie to the US government - Clear instructions were given and consequences outlined for ALL entrants into DV Lottery. By telling people to ignore that and "hide" the fact that they used an old photo and try to interview in a more friendly embassy might not be breaking the law but it certainly isnt something I'd be advising people to do.

You are effectively telling people to lie to the US government - Clear instructions were given and consequences outlined for ALL entrants into DV Lottery. By telling people to ignore that and "hide" the fact that they used an old photo and try to interview in a more friendly embassy might not be breaking the law but it certainly isnt something I'd be advising people to do.
Fair point.

I think that ultimately the decision is based on many factors, not just the place of interview... For example, a person who has advanced education, can easily find a job, has a good plan, has been to the US a few times before and left on time each time etc. would most likely be treated differently than someone who is less 'sorted out'... I don't think it's as binary as some would think, CO's in the end have a wide margin of freedom to decide in favor or against a case. And of course, different embassies would, understandably, treat cases differently in a wealthy developed country compared to a 3rd world country...

From what I know about the process and the interviews I know of, it actually might be extremely binary and automatic.
DV doesn't require much of the selectee - if you have barely any education and no English language skills you are good to go. I don't see how a PhD and good income would suddenly grant you extra privileges in this particular immigration process.

From what I know about the process and the interviews I know of, it actually might be extremely binary and automatic.
DV doesn't require much of the selectee - if you have barely any education and no English language skills you are good to go. I don't see how a PhD and good income would suddenly grant you extra privileges in this particular immigration process.
This is so naively inaccurate. Every selectee is different and the CO has to eventually sum up his "good points" vs. his "bad points". Those things you mentioned are just the minimal requirement, and sure, they can be enough if your record is spot on. But when issues appear, a CO would rule differently for different selectees from different backgrouns, different embassies etc. As you probably know no intereview is the same as the other, some CO's ask for financial proof, some don't, some pick on small things, some don't ask any questions. It's more 'human' then people think, otherwise you would be interviewed by a computer.
Ultimately a CO has to evaluate what your contribution to the US is going to be as a resident. So if an issue appears (say, an old photo), it would most likely be treated differently if you are a doctor fluent in English vs. if you barely finished highschool and can't speak English. You are just being naive if you think there is no differenct there.

Last edited:
DV applicants are still subject to public charge considerations, so yes it would.
However I don’t believe it will make the difference between the CO deciding whether or not to accept a photo. If the CO disqualifies on the basis of a photo, the other stuff won’t matter. If the denial is on public charge, then it will.

This is so naively inaccurate. Every selectee is different and the CO has to eventually sum up his "good points" vs. his "bad points". Those things you mentioned are just the minimal requirement, and sure, they can be enough if your record is spot on. But when issues appear, a CO would rule differently for different selectees from different backgrouns, different embassies etc. As you probably know no intereview is the same as the other, some CO's ask for financial proof, some don't, some pick on small things, some don't ask any questions. It's more 'human' then people think, otherwise you would be interviewed by a computer.
Ultimately a CO has to evaluate what your contribution to the US is going to be as a resident. So if an issue appears (say, an old photo), it would most likely be treated differently if you are a doctor fluent in English vs. if you barely finished highschool and can't speak English. You are just being naive if you think there is no differenct there.

You are incorrect. For DV, the CO evaluates whether you meet the eligibility requirements, whether you have any inadmissibilities, and whether you will be a public charge. Diversity visas are not granted on “expected contributions” - others are, but not DV - unless the CO is unconvinced on public charge grounds. Many - many, many - people with barely a high school and limited English have been successful in DV. If you are willing to work hard, even at menial work, support yourself etc, you’re good to go. If you think the US is only interested in graduates, think again. Who’s going to clean your expensive home and weed your expensive garden and clean your expensive car and maintain the expensive dorms at the expensive college you send your kid to? Everyone has a role to play, and Americans typically don’t look down on people working hard to make an honest living just because they didn’t have the same advantages someone else did growing up. Very often, it’s these poor immigrants who end up putting their kids through college and having the second generation being educated, professional etc. You know, that thing called the American Dream. (If you want a green card based on your PhD there are options by the way - of course America values higher skilled immigrants and that’s why they have EB green cards - but it’s not all that is valued.)

Ummmm, probably best to not be SO quick to judge someone else as naive when you have zero experience of the subject being discussed. The truth (speaking as someone who has actual experience of the subject) is somewhere between your position and Merle's. Certain factors are helpful toward a case being approved, and sometimes people are surprised about public charge denials. But its not quite as evaluative as you seem to think. I have known very "worthy" cases being rejected for simple reasons, and I have seen some people approved that have almost no chance of making it in the USA, but could not be denied based on the rules. Most interviews last a very short time, so for some COs they really are checking that the case meets the requirements and has complied with the rules. In those cases the appearance, wealth or likeability of the applicant is completely unimportant.

Bottom line - case handling varies. Some are like you imagine, some are like Merle suggests.

You are incorrect. For DV, the CO evaluates whether you meet the eligibility requirements, whether you have any inadmissibilities, and whether you will be a public charge. Diversity visas are not granted on “expected contributions” - others are, but not DV. Many - many, many - people with barely a high school and limited English have been successful in DV. If you are willing to work hard, even at menial work, support yourself etc, you’re good to go. If you think the US is only interested in graduates, think again. Who’s going to clean your expensive home and weed your expensive garden and clean your expensive car and maintain the expensive dorms at the expensive college you send your kid to? Everyone has a role to play, and Americans typically don’t look down on people working hard to make an honest living just because they didn’t have the same advantages someone else did growing up. Very often, it’s these poor immigrants who end up putting their kids through college and having the second generation being educated, professional etc. You know, that thing called the American Dream. (If you want a green card based on your PhD there are options by the way - of course America values higher skilled immigrants and that’s why they have EB green cards - but it’s not all that is valued.)

Snap.

You are incorrect. For DV, the CO evaluates whether you meet the eligibility requirements, whether you have any inadmissibilities, and whether you will be a public charge. Diversity visas are not granted on “expected contributions” - others are, but not DV - unless the CO is unconvinced on public charge grounds. Many - many, many - people with barely a high school and limited English have been successful in DV. If you are willing to work hard, even at menial work, support yourself etc, you’re good to go. If you think the US is only interested in graduates, think again. Who’s going to clean your expensive home and weed your expensive garden and clean your expensive car and maintain the expensive dorms at the expensive college you send your kid to? Everyone has a role to play, and Americans typically don’t look down on people working hard to make an honest living just because they didn’t have the same advantages someone else did growing up. Very often, it’s these poor immigrants who end up putting their kids through college and having the second generation being educated, professional etc. You know, that thing called the American Dream. (If you want a green card based on your PhD there are options by the way - of course America values higher skilled immigrants and that’s why they have EB green cards - but it’s not all that is valued.)
How these poor immigrants will not become a public charge? As far as what immigrants the US needs is a way more complicated topic. let's just say that the whole system is broken and if someone with a degree or not gets a green card through this process is lucky as hell.

How these poor immigrants will not become a public charge? As far as what immigrants the US needs is a way more complicated topic. let's just say that the whole system is broken and if someone with a degree or not gets a green card through this process is lucky as hell.
I see it very differently: if you follow the instructions and meet the requirements, you'll get your green card if your number becomes current.

Because they work hard. You can live on a minimum wage, not live large, but you can support yourself.
As for what kind of immigrants are needed by the way, I have done graduate level academic research on demographics and immigration, I don’t need lectures from you on that topic!! The problem with US immigration is not the 50k DV visas a year, it is the hundreds of thousands of family based immigrants who on average have lower education and skills than even the minimum required for DV.

I'm not a mod, but this is getting super off-topic.

Whatever the principles may be, we are all here in the DV process which has its own set of rules. The requirements aren't much and it is a random luck of the draw for each one of us and I don't think anyone here cares about what America actually needs. We are all here for our own personal reasons.

So we know what the process is, now let's try to get some more information on how strict the "old photo" rule is and what factors, if any, play a role here. I'll be current soon and I'll surely let you know about my case after my interview.

I'm not a mod, but this is getting super off-topic.

Whatever the principles may be, we are all here in the DV process which has its own set of rules. The requirements aren't much and it is a random luck of the draw for each one of us and I don't think anyone here cares about what America actually needs. We are all here for our own personal reasons.

So we know what the process is, now let's try to get some more information on how strict the "old photo" rule is and what factors, if any, play a role here. I'll be current soon and I'll surely let you know about my case after my interview.
did you use an old photo in your entry?