• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Old Photo used - interview result?

By the way @veronice , were you selected for DV2020? I haven’t stayed up to date with the whole threads for DV2020 here so I don’t know whether you were selected or not.
Hi @Grug Yes, I'm selected for DV2020 but my photo was new... I did follow the instructions. But I'm at a group for winners from my country and I've seen too many denials based on old photos... but all those photos were used in an actual application (usually, tourist visa). I wonder if they save the DV lottery entrie's photos and use those to detect if the photo is old. And I started this thread because I know there's a lot of people with old photos, used in previous entries, tourist visa applications or nowhere... are those denied too?

Hi @Grug Yes, I'm selected for DV2020 but my photo was new... I did follow the instructions. But I'm at a group for winners from my country and I've seen too many denials based on old photos... but all those photos were used in an actual application (usually, tourist visa). I wonder if they save the DV lottery entrie's photos and use those to detect if the photo is old. And I started this thread because I know there's a lot of people with old photos, used in previous entries, tourist visa applications or nowhere... are those denied too?
Congratulations! Glad to hear you were selected, perseverance always pays off in the end :) It is safe to assume that if an embassy has issued denials for old photos in the past, same embassy might see information about old photos from previous visa applications AND old DV entries (think: eDV file sent to embassy from KCC might contain not only info about latest DV selectee’s entry but also information about previous entries not selected). So, my previous point on this issue stands: if a person is worried about the Bogota embassy because they entered with an old photo, and CAN enter a neighboring country for an interview at a US embassy, it’s probably better to try their luck at another US embassy; because if the Bogota embassy issues a denial, then NO other embassy would even consider scheduling an interview for the same selected. It’s an individual decision, mostly because of the additional cost and documents involved.

Congratulations! Glad to hear you were selected, perseverance always pays off in the end :) It is safe to assume that if an embassy has issued denials for old photos in the past, same embassy might see information about old photos from previous visa applications AND old DV entries (think: eDV file sent to embassy from KCC might contain not only info about latest DV selectee’s entry but also information about previous entries not selected). So, my previous point on this issue stands: if a person is worried about the Bogota embassy because they entered with an old photo, and CAN enter a neighboring country for an interview at a US embassy, it’s probably better to try their luck at another US embassy; because if the Bogota embassy issues a denial, then NO other embassy would even consider scheduling an interview for the same selected. It’s an individual decision, mostly because of the additional cost and documents involved.

It’s a good theory, but you can’t cherry pick embassies. You have to be resident in the country you interview (unless you live in a different country to your home country and go back there to interview). Bogota is the assigned embassy currently for Venezuelans.

It’s a good theory, but you can’t cherry pick embassies. You have to be resident in the country you interview (unless you live in a different country to your home country and go back there to interview). Bogota is the assigned embassy currently for Venezuelans.
true in general, and this is not a good theory for everyone (i.e: Venezuelans as a group), and people take different steps in the face of different situations. However, for someone who could reasonably be sure of the odds of denial in Bogota due to this issue, KCC might schedule an interview in another country if the selectee requests an unlock of their DS-260 form and makes a change of interview location(or if they have not yet submitted their DS-260). It’s a risky route that can be taken to avoid denial in Bogota. Sometimes fortune favors the bold, my own experience taught me that, but again, it’s not ideal and it’s definitely not for everyone! It’s an individual judgement call!

true in general, and this is not a good theory for everyone (i.e: Venezuelans as a group), and people take different steps in the face of different situations. However, for someone who could reasonably be sure of the odds of denial in Bogota due to this issue, KCC might schedule an interview in another country if the selectee requests an unlock of their DS-260 form and makes a change of interview location(or if they have not yet submitted their DS-260). It’s a risky route that can be taken to avoid denial in Bogota. Sometimes fortune favors the bold, my own experience taught me that, but again, it’s not ideal and it’s definitely not for everyone! It’s an individual judgement call!
And you get denial in a different country and it’s tickets anyway. Sorry, while I recall your very unusual and interesting story, It doesn’t work for most people, and while it looks like you can just request an embassy on the ds260 actually you can’t; embassy assignment is done based on the home address you provided (we have seen this enough times to know).

Also, what do you say in the unlikely event that you do somehow get an embassy change (don't forget, requires medicals to be done there too) and the embassy asks you why you went there? - "because I didn't want to be disqualified" and draw attention to the problem?

Well, those who used an old photo and who are afraid to think outside the box will be disqualified. I strongly believe that it’s up to the selectee to do what can be done within the confines of the law to take advantage of their selection. To someone who’s trying to save their selection without breaking the law and who can afford to do their medical all over again, it’s not a long stretch, nor are tickets to à neighboring country. But as you and I agree, not everyone will have the stomach to try things outside the box, and that’s ok. Over restricting oneself is not a good idea without at least trying, but everyone is free to do what they want, within the confines of the law. Any number of reasons could lead a person to move, not just for an interview. @SusieQQQ Let’s agree to disagree on that. Some people will be risk-adverse on this issue, Some will push the envelope within the law, that’s all fine. @veronice your question has received many answers; in the end, people are responsible for themselves and they can choose for themselves, and perspectives on solutions will always differ, and that’s all fine.

Last edited:
Right. Let’s see how many people are successful at getting KCC to change their interview location to some arbitrary country just because they ask. Eagerly awaiting the results. Nothing to do with “stomach” sheesh.

I think that ultimately the decision is based on many factors, not just the place of interview... For example, a person who has advanced education, can easily find a job, has a good plan, has been to the US a few times before and left on time each time etc. would most likely be treated differently than someone who is less 'sorted out'... I don't think it's as binary as some would think, CO's in the end have a wide margin of freedom to decide in favor or against a case. And of course, different embassies would, understandably, treat cases differently in a wealthy developed country compared to a 3rd world country...

Last edited:
Right. Let’s see how many people are successful at getting KCC to change their interview location to some arbitrary country just because they ask. Eagerly awaiting the results. Nothing to do with “stomach” sheesh.
Semantics!! You can call what you want, doesnt change the fact that people are wired differently; there are so many factors that you or I don’t know about people. I just don’t think any of us should rule out options for people. Let people choose for themselves what to do or not to do, it’s all up to them. They can choose to give up and take responsibility for their mistake with the old photo or they can think outside the box, talk with their families/confidants, etc. and make their own decisions. This form is here to share experiences and discuss, none of us can restrict people’s choices.

Last edited:
I think that ultimately the decision is based on many factors, not just the place of interview... For example, a person who has advanced education, can easily find a job, has a good plan, have been to the US a few times before and left on time each time etc. would most likely be treated differently than someone who is less 'sorted out'... I don't think it's as binary as some would think, CO's in the end have a wide margin of freedom to decide in favor or against a case. And of course, different embassies would, understandably, treat cases differently in a wealthy developed country compared to a 3rd world country...
Right, there are so many factors. We just can’t assume the first question a CO will necessarily ask is “why are you here today instead of at the other embassy in X country?”. Every application is different, and people are different.

Right, there are so many factors. We just can’t assume the first question a CO will necessarily ask is “why are you here today instead of at the other embassy in X country?”. Every application is different, and people are different.
Actually, if you don't live in that country and it's not your "assigned" embassy, they may just ask that exactly.

Actually, if you don't live in that country and it's not your "assigned" embassy, they may just ask that exactly.
If you only went to that country without ANY other reason, then, yes, you might be asked that question. Do all displaced Venezuelan live in Columbia?

If you only went to that country without ANY other reason, then, yes, you might be asked that question.
??????
What do you suggest? For example, moving to another country to attend the interview in said embassy? Enroll in classes in that country? I'm not trying to be rude here, but I would like to know what would be the "strategy" to go to that country FOR the interview and have another reason...
By the way, tourism doesn't work... Has been tried by some venezuelans looking for another visa (tourist, labour and so on...).

My theory is about people who live in another country, not Columbia. But also, for people who may move to another country nearby. Again, it’s an individual judgement call, no blueprint here. We’re just brainstorming here, not giving quick fix advice for every applicant who didn’t bother reading the instructions.

If you only went to that country without ANY other reason, then, yes, you might be asked that question. Do all displaced Venezuelan live in Columbia?
@veronice what’s the rationale behind the decision to designate the embassy in Bogota as the only place for Venezuelans to interview for IVs regardless of where they live?

@veronice what’s the rationale behind the decision to designate the embassy in Bogota as the only place for Venezuelans to interview for IVs regardless of where they live?
Well, maybe we should ask the State Department about that. And it's OBVIOUSLY not regardless of where they live. The Bogota embassy substitutes the Venezuelan embassy that closed in february.
If you are a Venezuelan but live in Tokio, I'm sure you can have your interview in the Tokio embassy, because you have a residency there.
And, just for you to know, not all venezuelans are outside the country.

Well, maybe we should ask the State Department about that. And it's OBVIOUSLY not regardless of where they live. The Bogota embassy substitutes the Venezuelan embassy that closed in february.
If you are a Venezuelan but live in Tokio, I'm sure you can have your interview in the Tokio embassy, because you have a residency there.
And, just for you to know, not all venezuelans are outside the country.
Ok, I was under the impression you meant all Venezuelans living in South America must interview in Bogota.

It's for Venezuelans living at home. The State Department does this, just like certain embassies are assigned for other places like Iran where the local embassies are closed. The statement in post 23 about Bogota being the assigned embassy was there for a reason. Such information is good to know before blithely telling people they need to bravely go forth and do stuff.