Old Namecheck Sufferers : Is this a hope ?

Any news on USCIS & FBI's effort on reforming and expediting name check ?

I sent email to Ombudsman but got generic reply:

Dear Ombudsman,
I already submitted my case to you for long (35 months now) name check delay.
I read on one immigration web site about notes from July
teleconference: "we should soon see some positive movement in the
clearing of the backlog of cases that have been pending name checks
for 33 months or longer" and "there is some hope that the USCIS will
soon dramatically decrease the number of cases pending due to security
checks in the immediate future". Could you please give more
information, it's really hard to wait for so long

We understand the problems and frustration associated with long-pending
background checks. We have made recommendations for possible solutions
in our Annual Report (at pp. 37-45) which can be found on our website at
www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman.

When USCIS responds to our recommendation, it will be posted on our
website.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office, and for giving me
the opportunity to serve you. I look forward to the day when I can
report that the work of this office has been accomplished because our
vision of a world-class immigration benefits system has been achieved.

Sincerely,
Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman
US Department of Homeland Security
Mail Stop 1225
Washington, D.C. 20528-1225
Email: cisombudsman@dhs.gov
Web: http://www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman

Immigration Security Checks—How and Why the Process Works

Background

All applicants for a U.S. immigration benefit are subject to criminal and national security background checks to ensure they are eligible for that benefit. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Federal agency that oversees immigration benefits, performs checks on every applicant, regardless of ethnicity, national origin or religion.

Since 2002, USCIS has increased the number and scope of relevant background checks, processing millions of security checks without incident. However, in some cases, USCIS customers and immigrant advocates have expressed frustration over delays in processing applications, noting that individual customers have waited a year or longer for the completion of their adjudication pending the outcome of security checks.

How Immigration Security Checks Work

To ensure that immigration benefits are given only to eligible applicants, USCIS adopted background security check procedures that address a wide range of possible risk factors. Different kinds of applications undergo different levels of scrutiny. USCIS normally uses the following three background check mechanisms but maintains the authority to conduct other background investigations as necessary:

• The Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) Name Check— IBIS is a multi-agency effort with a central system that combines information from multiple agencies, databases and system interfaces to compile data relating to national security risks, public safety issues and other law enforcement concerns. USCIS can quickly check information from these multiple government agencies to determine if the information in the system affects the adjudication of the case. Results of an IBIS check are usually available immediately. In some cases, information found during an IBIS check will require further investigation. The IBIS check is not deemed completed until all eligibility issues arising from the initial system response are resolved.

• FBI Fingerprint Check—FBI fingerprint checks are conducted for many applications. The FBI fingerprint check provides information relating to criminal background within the United States. Generally, the FBI forwards responses to USCIS within 24-48 hours. If there is a record match, the FBI forwards an electronic copy of the criminal history (RAP sheet) to USCIS. At that point, a USCIS adjudicator reviews the information to determine what effect it may have on eligibility for the benefit. Although the vast majority of inquiries yield no record or match, about 10 percent do uncover criminal history (including immigration violations). In cases involving arrests or charges without disposition, USCIS requires the applicant to provide court certified evidence of the disposition. Customers with prior arrests should provide complete information and certified disposition records at the time of filing to avoid adjudication delays or denial resulting from misrepresentation about criminal history. Even expunged or vacated convictions must be reported for immigration purposes.

• FBI Name Checks—FBI name checks are also required for many applications. The FBI name check is totally different from the FBI fingerprint check. The records maintained in the FBI name check process consist of administrative, applicant, criminal, personnel and other files compiled by law enforcement. Initial responses to this check generally take about two weeks. In about 80 percent of the cases, no match is found. Of the remaining 20 percent, most are resolved within six months. Less than one percent of cases subject to an FBI name check remain pending longer than six months. Some of these cases involve complex, highly sensitive information and cannot be resolved quickly. Even after FBI has provided an initial response to USCIS concerning a match, the name check is not complete until full information is obtained and eligibility issues arising from it are resolved.
----------
To do your own background search you can start by go to major search engines. Search engines such as Google, Yahoo! or MSN can provide valuable information for your online background check, simply because their “spiders” often index sensitive information such as banking details, invoice records, addresses, specific contact information, or other personal details from unsecured pages. Although this is not a very frequent situation, there is a chance you could discover pertinent information while conducting the online background check. You can try starting your online background check by doing a Google search using any of the following criteria: email address, phone number, residential address, social security number, vehicle ID number, job title and company, or full name.

When USCIS responds to our recommendation, it will be posted on our
website.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office, and for giving me
the opportunity to serve you. I look forward to the day when I can
report that the work of this office has been accomplished because our
vision of a world-class immigration benefits system has been achieved.

People are not giving answers to the questions asked.
Pathetic. The whole immigration system is pathetic.

Name checks and interviews

Does anyone know if they still call you for an interview if you have been stuck in NC longer than two years? There's something i don't get here. You are conditional for two years and then the conditions are removed pending a second interview. If you are stuck in NC say 3 years, i understand you get the permanent card - so no second interview?

So, let me ask. From a security perspective what kind of jobs are not not offered to EAD holders ? I wish the USCIS give GCs if all other security checks are OK and let the namecheck investigation go in parallel. If the namecheck investigation reveals something serious, cancel the GC and apprehend/deport the applicant. I don't think canceling of GC is complicated ( compared to revoking the citizenship ). This will obviously mean revenue loss to USCIS ( because no more the multi-year need for EADs, APs etc) , but they should not wish for blood money as part of their revenue ? Shall we write to Ombudsman with this terrific idea ?

So, let me ask. From a security perspective what kind of jobs are not not offered to EAD holders ?
E.g. those jobs that fall under The International Traffic in Arms Regulations, which states that materials classified under ITAR may not be shared with anyone other than a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (i.e. green card holder). This affects many positions in the aerospace industry: no green card - no job for you.

Yes

Does anyone know if they still call you for an interview if you have been stuck in NC longer than two years? There's something i don't get here. You are conditional for two years and then the conditions are removed pending a second interview. If you are stuck in NC say 3 years, i understand you get the permanent card - so no second interview?
I have been interviewed in local office recently, my NC is pending but everbody in my family is cleared security check. I heard it has been pending since December 22, 2004.

Hi Dgray, Where did you see or heard about this.. pls let us know..

---If you are stuck in NC say 3 years, i understand you get the permanent card - so no second interview?

I am not sure how authentic these results are. When I search my name "fistname lastname" on google, I get 105 results and my wife gets 39 hits.
While her namecheck was cleared last year July, I am still stuck.

Both my name and her name hit somebody who has done biochemical engineering.

I don't think it has anything to do with your name as well.

All combinations of my name
"first_name last_name" - 36 hits (all myself)
"last_name first_name" - 2 hits (all myself)
"first_name middle_name" - 9 hits (none relating to me... all harmless)
"middle_name first_name" - no hits
"middle_name last_name" - 1 hit (my dad)
"last_name middle_name" - no hits

Been stuck with AOS (I-485) since July 2003. Someone has any clues why so ?

8 Chinese met Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren

on 9/17. She promised to do something this year on FBI name check delay. Please write to her to encourage her to do this. She is the chairperson of immigration committee, powerful and legal immigrants friendly. She said it is difficult to increase EB based GC quote this year, but the FBI name check delay is something she can help with by passing a bill.

If you suffer from name check delay, please fax her a general letter to encourage her to do this ASAP, also to thank her for what she has done to bring justice and confidence back to legal immigrant community.

Please provide her contact info and how to address

on 9/17. She promised to do something this year on FBI name check delay. Please write to her to encourage her to do this. She is the chairperson of immigration committee, powerful and legal immigrants friendly. She said it is difficult to increase EB based GC quote this year, but the FBI name check delay is something she can help with by passing a bill.

If you suffer from name check delay, please fax her a general letter to encourage her to do this ASAP, also to thank her for what she has done to bring justice and confidence back to legal immigrant community.

I wanted to share a good news that my NC got cleared, I have received yestrday letter from FBI that my request is finalized and send to USCIS on Aug 9. I sent a request by fax to first lady on Jun 19. On Aug 9th my spouse got an RFE for medical. SO I am not sure I canl get through this before retro.

Last edited by a moderator:

That is great. Do you have any fax number for her or email id for her office ?
We can start sending the request to her rightway.

Also I am going to post this on other popular site that has more visitor so taht they do the same too.

RE: Info needed for Suing USCIS

Hi,

I am one of the old time sufferers...literally and figuratively...I've had it with the wait ...My namecheck was initiated in 9/04 and I've done everything: Infopass, writing to congressmen, senators, FBI, DOJ, First Lady, VP, and the President. Nothing helps! On the other hand, it is ironic to see people filing and getting their I-485s approved in less than a month where people like me, who're stuck, there is no f****** end to the wait.

I am planning to file a lawsuit against USCIS/FBI for the delay but don't know the process or a good lawyer. I've done my research locally but haven't found a good lawyer. Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Zoe is holding hearing on USCIS fee increase

Please provide her contact info and how to address

Golden opportunity! Here is her contact information:

Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren
Washington, D.C. Office
102 Cannon HOB
Washington, D.C. 20515
Telephone (202) 225-3072
Fax (202) 225-3336

Note your fax must be conveying general information / ideas, if ask for personal favor, you must be from her district.