ok more, how is this possible

vlorak

Registered Users (C)
going through my application, i realize something:
page 4, questions about the trips outside US: A and B ask about trips taken during last 5 years.
my first trip in 2002 ended in october 14th, 2002 (returning in the US that day). I applied for citizenship oct. 16, 2007. (I did not include this trip in the original application). I plan on bringing a new page for that part of the application and list this trip as well since I hadn't listed before.
Then same question, C, says list all trips taken outside US since becoming a permanent resident. I became a permanent resident in jan. 2005, but in the application I had listed one trip taken in 2003. Mistake form my part not reading it clearly and realizing that trip did not take place after I became a Permanent resident. So, my new page will list 0 trips for part C.
My question: could such an error be used as grounds for denying the application?
i can't believe i missed this...

My question: could such an error be used as grounds for denying the application?

Not unless you willfully withheld it. In your case it was an honest mistake and you'll be able to correct it at interview. No need to worry.

thanks bobsmyth. i knew something was going to show up since everything was going smooth sailing for me. i wonder how i will survive next 11 days. starting with last night, 0 hrs sleep worrying about this. i am so bummed

going through my application, i realize something:
page 4, questions about the trips outside US: A and B ask about trips taken during last 5 years.
my first trip in 2002 ended in october 14th, 2002 (returning in the US that day). I applied for citizenship oct. 16, 2007. (I did not include this trip in the original application). I plan on bringing a new page for that part of the application and list this trip as well since I hadn't listed before.
Then same question, C, says list all trips taken outside US since becoming a permanent resident. I became a permanent resident in jan. 2005, but in the application I had listed one trip taken in 2003. Mistake form my part not reading it clearly and realizing that trip did not take place after I became a Permanent resident. So, my new page will list 0 trips for part C.

The interview is mean to clarify ambiguities with the I/O. When the I/O comes to this questions ask him your questions and then furnish all information to him. Its no big deal. They will decide what they need

I agree it is not a big deal. I too had some date correction to be done. I brought a new page and the immigration officer thanked me for being thoughtful because it saved him time from doing the date correction on the original form.

oh my god you guys, you might be actually saving my sanity here. i cannot beat myself more over this considering i am so punctual when it comes to dealing with USCIS. and i had to fill out the application the week my kids were down with the flu.
it's no excuse and i will get to experience whether i did anything to my case or not but this saves me for next 9 days

this was my experience:
I misread the info and only included the trips I made on the last 5 years, not since becoming a LPR. Added to that, I missed one trip in the last 5 years and had a typo on another two (wrote the month as 21 instead of 12 in one, and the year as 2006 instead of 2002, as if I were away for 4 years instead of 10 days).
I did not sleep either for days thinking about it. I made a new list, including all the trips since becoming LPR and even 2 I made since submitting the N400 application. When I went to the interview, I explained it to the IO, who smiled and said something like: "those trips will not make much of a change (to the number of days I was out), and everyone who reads this will realize that there is no 21 month."
He just kept going and did not even bother with my new list.
The interview was over, I passed, and he said: You worry too much!

So, if I were you, I would make a new list and when the IO comes to that part just offer the corrections to him/her. Also, if it applies, take all the passports where you might have the stamps (I took my old one too and he did not ask for it nor wanted it when I offered it to him).

Don't worry.:)

A lot of marriage-based (three year rule) applicants get confused by this part of the form, and the problem is with the wording on the N-400 itself. The wording assumes that the applicant has been an LPR for five years, even though the same form is used for marriage-based; consequently it seems to contradict itself by asking for information on trips taken since becoming LPR, and on trips taken in the last five years. I have seen immigration lawyers on some forums suggest that for marriage-based applicants, it is perfectly acceptable to cross out "five years" on the form and write in "three years." Myself, I didn't feel comfortable doing that, so I provided the information using both criteria (on an extra sheet).

man, thanks diego and NYC so much
i have 0 trips since becoming a LPR. i have 26 days total out of the country for the past 9 years. my frustration lies in the fact that i signed the application and mailed it without concentrating on the fact that i misread that part (in my case, didn't read it at all thinking i need to list the trip i mentioned in the previous part).
that's what scares me. i don't even know when during the interview do i need to give the new page. do i mention it after being sworn in or do i let the IO go page by page and when he/she gets to that page i explain my error. i realize things are out of my hands now. but how i allowed it to happen in the first place is beyond me.
but i really want to thank you all for trying to help me out calm down a bit

i have 0 trips since becoming a LPR. i have 26 days total out of the country for the past 9 years.

If this is true, you have nothing to worry about. The point of the questions is simply to ascertain whether you meet the physical presence and continuous residence requirements. And remember, the clock moves forward with the processing, so the IO will also want to know about any trips you've taken between your application and the interview.

i have 0 trips since becoming a LPR. i have 26 days total out of the country for the past 9 years. my frustration lies in the fact that i signed the application and mailed it without concentrating on the fact that i misread that part (in my case, didn't read it at all thinking i need to list the trip i mentioned in the previous part).
that's what scares me. i don't even know when during the interview do i need to give the new page. do i mention it after being sworn in or do i let the IO go page by page and when he/she gets to that page i explain my error. i realize things are out of my hands now. but how i allowed it to happen in the first place is beyond me.
but i really want to thank you all for trying to help me out calm down a bit

I am guessing that many people do not read it. In my case, I answered the first part about the number of trips and days away in the last 5 years and when I went to the other one, I read it fast assuming that it was the same. I kind of took it to be the supporting evidence for the other part.
After you take the oath, the IO would go through your N400 application, reading each piece to you so you can confirm that everything is correct and still the same. When he gets to the section about the trips just tell him/her that you would like to ammend the information because you reviewed it after you submitted the application and found a mistake.
I found somewhere the tip that you should not jump ahead of the IO. Do not try to ammend part 10 when he is in part 3. Go point by point until he gets to the one you want to ammend.
I also forgot to include in the membership list that I am member of the Union where I work. He added it for me.
I know how it feels because when I realized that I made those mistakes I thought I was doomed. I asked in this portal and people told me not to worry and they were right.

thanks diegoito and NYC
i will follow advice, bring it up once they reach that section. thank you so much.