Officer asked to withdraw Employer AOS to continue Family based AOS

Citizenship2009

Registered Users (C)
Hey all, just wanted to share my interview experience with every1 and see if some1 could give me some advice... We just had our AOS interview in atlanta a last week and my spouse had two AOS runningl.. employer based and family based... Officer said that our Employer based file was not in front of her and she needed to consolidate the file in order to make a decision on our family based AOS. We were told that withdrawing employer based AOS would make things faster... so we withdrew our employer based AOS... She said that she found no reason to deny our family based AOS, but b4 she could make a decision she needed to have the employer based AOS application in front of her... And that file is still in texas... now we r stuck in a limbo cuz we were hoping to get a decision from the interview... We had plans to visit our family back home since we had a baby recently and his grandparents r dying to see him... Can some1 shed some light as to how long this will take now? and is there anything that i can do to speed things up??

What is preventing you from visiting your family back home? Does your spouse have Advance Parole or H1/L1?

Was your spouse illegally in the US before applying for the GC (and thus would have a problem returning with Advance Parole)?

He overstayed... but when he filed for the employer based he was protected under 245i.. so if he did go back, he could have problems...

Did u get an email from USCIS for the EMPLOYER based I485, PRIOR** to your interview stating:

On DATE we transferred this I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to our CITY,STATE location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case. We sent you a notice of this transfer. Please follow any instructions on this notice...

Hey all, just wanted to share my interview experience with every1 and see if some1 could give me some advice...

no i never got that notice... when i called texas service center, they said his file is still in mesquite, tx... is there any way i can get the transfer to happen faster?? i don't want to waste time if they've forgotten about his case... thanx for all ur help... i hope its just a matter of a few weeks.... the lawyer said two weeks... i'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I am stuck too. My employer based file is in TX and my family based interview was in Jan 2010 (filed in Nov 2009). I am still outside the normal processing time of the District office of Columbus, OH. The officer in my case didn't say anything about withdrawing the other case - all he said was that he need to wait for my A file to arrive from another state but everything looked good. The interview was smooth. In my case - there is no other issues (like overstay) - still working on my H1

@ resident1374:

Did u get an email from USCIS for the EMPLOYER based I485, PRIOR** to your interview stating:

On DATE we transferred this I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to our CITY,STATE location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case. We sent you a notice of this transfer. Please follow any instructions on this notice...

I was told by the USCIS customer rep that I can contact Infopass only after the Processing time (for Columbus, OH) is current. As of now the processing time-frame shows as October 31st, 2009. My case was filed in November 2009. I will call USCIS after the time-frame shows as November.

The process goes like this (as told to me by USCIS customer rep):

If you don't hear about your case and your date is current - you call USCIS and they open a case and they will give you a confirmation #. Wait 45 days and if you still don't hear anything then book Info Appt with that Conf number.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ resident1374:

No, I didn't receive any email...I don't trust the updates from USCIS. It is never updated.

I'm from atlanta field office.. and mine says 4 months... n i filed end of january... but the officer had told me 2 weeks... n tomorrow is gonna be 2 weeks... still haven't heard n e thing yet... :( i hope some miracle happens and i get the magic email saying card production ordered... I hope u get it soon too

!!

I just spoke to my lawyer and he said he contacted the texas service office and they said that my officer requested the file on 26th of march and that it's in transit... it's been over a month now!!! How long do u guys think it would take for a file to go from a service center to a field office??

Really... that's crazy... i'm hoping it doesn't take that long... hopefully i will get it taken care of soon... my lawyer told me to get an infopass if i don't hear n e thing by next week... that way they don't just sit on my file... i'm gonna wait n watch till next week n then get the infopass... thanks triple citizen for ur inputs...

hey guys i had an infopass done today... and the lady told me that my husband's labor file is still in texas.. n that they can't do n e thing but wait for the file to get here... :( she also said that i can probably write a letter to the texas office and see if that might speed things up... but that's all she knew.. said that the file was being consolidated at the texas location... i asked her how much longer it would take n she said she had no idea... I don't know what to think now... i'm thinking about writing a letter to the texas office... at least they will write something back to me n let me know what's goin on... i hope it's taken care of soon... just wanted to share with u guys. take care