OCT Bulletin Released !!!

dcmetro224042 (Ac-21)

dcmetro22042 said:
I do not see EB3 moving much at all until a law is passed that provides a cure. I believe its time to take a risk and use AC21 now for those who have the ability to. I guess I shall start looking into it seriously now.
I am surprised you did not take that route Saras. Why? Wnted to play it safe?

dcmetro22042,

I don't want to make excuses but since my PD is August 01 I thought that maybe (just maybe) my PD might become current by the end of 06. Keeping that in mind I did not want to take a risk. However I have started a part-time MBA and my company is paying for part of it so there are other things that I am doing. My plan is to ride this out till I get my MBA and hopefully the GC and the MBA degree will come hand in hand in 2 years or so and then I will move onto another company. Also my wife is on an EAD and has a great job and I don't want to jeapordize that. Abandoning this process is not an option for me NOW because I have already put in 6+ years of my prime working life into it and I cannot justify it. Whats 2 more years when I have been waiting for 6 already :).

The bottom line is that we all have our reasons behind what we do. There is no single solution to all our problems.

cheers,

saras

Last edited by a moderator:
new guys coming on L1 and H1 are purely to make more money.......actually its the savings factor......they say that savings are atleast 3 times as that in india (ofcourse after USD is converted into rupee)....

off course saving is only motive

I came here in 2004 and plan to save as much money and go back for atleast managerial position rather than to remain in US as consultant all my life.
My labor and 140 are already done. I will extract 2 more years on regular L1, 5 years and go back with saving compared to 15 years in India.

Ac21 not really...

I know I missed the boat..there a few contending that AC21 is good option I used this option and I am stuck in retrogression despite all the documentation I sent to uscis they denied my case...the reopening of I485 everything took its toll and here I am stuck here forever..so AC21 option should be approched cautiously...
Saras76 you have mentioned to focus on other things...I am trying to do that but still find myself waiting for next bulletin and hitting the forum every day...many things r tied into this GC..some may disagree with me but having waiting for 4 years I am getting used to waiting and hoping..

I am thinking of taking a transfer to my company's Detroit, MI office. I am already a Canadian PR so am planning on working in Detroit and living in Windsor, Ontario which is right across border in Canada.
Per mapquest it would be half an hr drive from Windsor to my company office in Detroit. Even if you say half an hr for immigration check that makes it one hr commute.

This way I can keep US Greencard going, keep same job with same company as well as earn time towars maintaining Canadian GC and Canadian citizenship. If my PD of August 2001 becomes current I can always move back.

Disadvantages would be

1) High Taxes in Canada
2) High cost of living away from family
3) Commuting back and forth from Texas ( I have home here and my wife is in a health science program where she has still 2 yrs left to graduate).

Thats life. There are other choices.

texancanadian said:
I am thinking of taking a transfer to my company's Detroit, MI office. I am already a Canadian PR so am planning on working in Detroit and living in Windsor, Ontario which is right across border in Canada.
Per mapquest it would be half an hr drive from Windsor to my company office in Detroit. Even if you say half an hr for immigration check that makes it one hr commute.

This way I can keep US Greencard going, keep same job with same company as well as earn time towars maintaining Canadian GC and Canadian citizenship. If my PD of August 2001 becomes current I can always move back.

Disadvantages would be

1) High Taxes in Canada
3) Commuting back and forth from Texas ( I have home here and my wife is in a health science program where she has still 2 yrs left to graduate).

texancanadian, how would the tax thing work out? Will you be double taxed i.e. would you be paying to both the US and the Canadian govts.?

Can one in H1B status tele-commute for a US company while staying in Canada to maintain his/her Canada PR?

Its not easy ..

desp_gc said:
I know I missed the boat..there a few contending that AC21 is good option I used this option and I am stuck in retrogression despite all the documentation I sent to uscis they denied my case...the reopening of I485 everything took its toll and here I am stuck here forever..so AC21 option should be approched cautiously...
Saras76 you have mentioned to focus on other things...I am trying to do that but still find myself waiting for next bulletin and hitting the forum every day...many things r tied into this GC..some may disagree with me but having waiting for 4 years I am getting used to waiting and hoping..

desp_gc,

This wait is not easy for anyone. Its especially hard for people like us who have already been waiting for over 4-6 years. As much as I say that I don't care about the bulletins each time I hope that something positive happens. It is human nature to do so I guess. There is nothing wrong in hoping but we should not be foolish in our expectations. Anyway, the best way to get through this is to stick together and help eachother by sharing ideas, information and encouraging eachother.

regards,

saras

Well, I tried to do that years ago I gave it up my Canadian PR. I even bought a car in Canada, with Canadian plates and I planned to commute every week from Seatte-Vancouver, BC. It did not work out for me. Every single freaking time I crossed the borders the Canadian officers stopped, sent me to the immigration booth and advised me that I could miss my Canadian PR, etc. After few times that is really hard keep giving all same explanations and I guess if one ends doing that, in fact those lame officers would take notice and I could end up losing the PR in Canada. Then I decided to apply for that Returning Resident Permit and to my surprise, I got approved even though that the officer told me that was not a justification to be in the US working here. I think it let me retain the PR for two years. Two years later things still were working out in the US, then I gave up from Canada forever. My wife hates Canada and she keeps be bothering me to give up from going there because it too cold, too many sexual orientation other than ours, no good jobs, taxes extremely high.

Regarding taxes, as far as I know I should pay taxes in Canada as well since I was going to live there. If you maintain your residence in Canada, you should pay taxes there, and that was the final nail in the coffin. I said no way.

Good luck to you.

texancanadian said:

Disadvantages would be

1) High Taxes in Canada

Desp_GC, your story is extremely valuable. Can you share a little bit why you got denied ? Was the job same or similar ? If you don't want to share in public, please send me a private message. Thanks.

desp_gc said:

Eb2

Even EB2( India) is retrogressed to 6 months back to June 2002
dont know when USCIS will open their eyes

came here in late 98 and struggling to get GC, dont know when i'll get
241(i) did so much damage in 2001 and now also its running like anything

nothing we can do, just watch,wait and believe that one day we'll get to the final point of Getting GC

GCdreamer2006 said:
Desp_GC, your story is extremely valuable. Can you share a little bit why you got denied ? Was the job same or similar ? If you don't want to share in public, please send me a private message. Thanks.

Also, Saras, can you explain how do you jeopardize your wife's situation if you use AC21 while she is on EAD? Thanks.

Yes, you can live in Canada if you are a Canadian PR and work in US on H1. It is impractical between Vancouver and US because the distance between those 2 cities is 2 hrs. It is practical to do it if your commute is less than 1 hr per day. So only places where this would be possible is if your job is very close to Canadian border. It is possible and happens a lot between Windsor and Detroit because practically Windsor is suburb of Detroit. It may also be possible if you work in Buffalo NY and live in Fort Erie, ON etc.

This is how Taxation works

1) Sy you earn $ 50K USD per year. Also lets say exchange rate is $ 1 US = $ 1.2 CAD. Lets also assume US tax rate is 20% and Canadian tax rate is 25%.

2) So you first file US taxes using NR form . You tax will equal say $ 10 K (50k *20%). You go ahead and pay this tax to US IRS.

3) Next you file Canadian taxes. In Canadian $'s your income is $ 60K. And in Canadian Revenue service eyes your tax should be $ 15,000 CAD (60k * 25%).

4) You paid $ 10K US as Tax which equals $ 12K CAD. You get credit for this 12 K when you file Canadian taxes.

5) In total you pay $ 10 K USD in taxes to US and $ 3 K CAD to Canadians.

There are some restrictions

1) Any money you contribute towards 401K will still apply when you file for Canadian taxes ( You can invest in an equivalent Canadian Plan)>

2) Any house mortgage cant be deducted for canadian taxes

3) Basically you will have very few deductibles in Canada (except for family ones).

Frequent crossers can even get a pass if you are Canadian PR to make border crossing easier and faster.
It is worth looking into if you can get transfer/job in Detroit Metro Area.

bmn240 said:
texancanadian, how would the tax thing work out? Will you be double taxed i.e. would you be paying to both the US and the Canadian govts.?

Can one in H1B status tele-commute for a US company while staying in Canada to maintain his/her Canada PR?

Qustion Please

Now that October is behind us, what do you guys know about what November may bring us? If I look at the trend from last year, Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec EB3 ROW saw limited movement. Based on what you have experienced, are we likely to see this slower movement repeat? Or was the 2005 slow progress due to EB coming out of retrogression?

Congrats to all who are within the PD dates. I wish you all speedy approvals! :)

Thanks!

Ead

spulla said:
Also, Saras, can you explain how do you jeopardize your wife's situation if you use AC21 while she is on EAD? Thanks.

spulla,

I think you mis-understood what I said or maybe my wording was confusing. What I was trying to say is that the current situation for me and my wife is not bad. She is working on her EAD and I am in a stable job and working on an MBA. As of right now I do not have the incentive to change jobs using AC-21 because any problems with my case will affect me and my wife and when she is completely happy with her job and her situation then I do not want to do something to put that at risk (no matter how little that risk maybe). I do not like my job and am bored of it now but its not horrible or unbearable. Under these circumstances its not worth it for me to utilize AC-21. I think AC-21 is the only silver lining in this whole mess. Atleast some of us have the opportunity to move to another employer.

regards,

saras

Predictions et all ...

Almost_Done said:
Now that October is behind us, what do you guys know about what November may bring us? If I look at the trend from last year, Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec EB3 ROW saw limited movement. Based on what you have experienced, are we likely to see this slower movement repeat? Or was the 2005 slow progress due to EB coming out of retrogression?

Congrats to all who are withing the PD dates. I wish you all speedy approvals! :)

Thanks!

Almost_Done,

What the Oct bulletin proves is that his system is completely broken at this point. There is absolutely no point in predicting, analyzing or making sense of it.

regards,

saras

saras76 said:
spulla,

I think you mis-understood what I said or maybe my wording was confusing. What I was trying to say is that the current situation for me and my wife is not bad. She is working on her EAD and I am in a stable job and working on an MBA. As of right now I do not have the incentive to change jobs using AC-21 because any problems with my case will affect me and my wife and when she is completely happy with her job and her situation then I do not want to do something to put that at risk (no matter how little that risk maybe). I do not like my job and am bored of it now but its not horrible or unbearable. Under these circumstances its not worth it for me to utilize AC-21. I think AC-21 is the only silver lining in this whole mess. Atleast some of us have the opportunity to move to another employer.

regards,

saras

Thanks for the reply.

If your Job is fairly good, there is no reason to change. The reason I was asking is because I am planning to use AC21 now. My wife also wants to work as well.

I wan't to look for a real job now. I am tired of this situation. I could not do a jack about my career all these years (Living in US for 11 years) because of stupid immigration system. I hate the place where I live and my job. My only concern is that if I change the state would my case be transfered to a local office? Also, how big a deal is that even if it gets transfered? Wondering.

Regards.

It looks good. If you move up there, let us know how you are doing.

texancanadian said:
Yes, you can live in Canada if you are a Canadian PR and work in US on H1. It is impractical between Vancouver and US because the distance between those 2 cities is 2 hrs. It is practical to do it if your commute is less than 1 hr per day. So only places where this would be possible is if your job is very close to Canadian border. It is possible and happens a lot between Windsor and Detroit because practically Windsor is suburb of Detroit. It may also be possible if you work in Buffalo NY and live in Fort Erie, ON etc.

This is how Taxation works

1) Sy you earn $ 50K USD per year. Also lets say exchange rate is $ 1 US = $ 1.2 CAD. Lets also assume US tax rate is 20% and Canadian tax rate is 25%.

2) So you first file US taxes using NR form . You tax will equal say $ 10 K (50k *20%). You go ahead and pay this tax to US IRS.

3) Next you file Canadian taxes. In Canadian $'s your income is $ 60K. And in Canadian Revenue service eyes your tax should be $ 15,000 CAD (60k * 25%).

4) You paid $ 10K US as Tax which equals $ 12K CAD. You get credit for this 12 K when you file Canadian taxes.

There are some restrictions

1) Any money you contribute towards 401K will still apply when you file for Canadian taxes ( You can invest in an equivalent Canadian Plan)>

2) Any house mortgage cant be deducted for canadian taxes

3) Basically you will have very few deductibles in Canada (except for family ones).

Frequent crossers can even get a pass if you are Canadian PR to make border crossing easier and faster.
It is worth looking into if you can get transfer/job in Detroit Metro Area.

texancanadian said:

Thanks, texancanadian, for a detailed explanation. I could not follow though your (5) above.. probably, my brain is not working properly :). How do you come up with 3K CAD for Canada tax? I'm sorry, I'm a little slow..

Also, do you know if one could tele-commute from Canada? In other words, one can live in say in Vancouver and work from his home computer in Vanc. for a US company in say Alabama, without crossing the border everyday. Can one do that? Thanks once again.

But look at the brighter side. Its only regtrogressed by 6 months! With the new year and fresh visas, hopefully it will progress by 6 months every month for the next few months!!! And with EB1 current, we should get EB1 visas every quarter too!!

zzzz4zzzz said:
Even EB2( India) is retrogressed to 6 months back to June 2002
dont know when USCIS will open their eyes

came here in late 98 and struggling to get GC, dont know when i'll get
241(i) did so much damage in 2001 and now also its running like anything

nothing we can do, just watch,wait and believe that one day we'll get to the final point of Getting GC