OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Thank you for your reply. I already spent 21 dollars. Now I have to go there and make my new photo with blue background. I don't understand what is the problem with white background.

You can send the white background if you want to save additional $14.00, the cost of making 2 blue background photos, but there's no guarantee whether the application will be processed or denied. It wouldn't have been a waste of money if you had seen the instructions before. Or maybe you did read the instructions and still went with a white background. But again, I don't know what the problem is with the white background, I am with you on that.

New OCI application

Do we need to Original US Passport at the time of application? The instructions on their site says "To be Sent At the End of Processing"

Here is the excerpts from their site.

6.Original Passport To Be Sent At The End of Processing:
Your original passport will be required as the last step in the process after your OCI card has been approved and returned From Delhi, India to the Embassy/Consulate. When the OCI card is at this stage, you will receive notification and shipping instructions automatically by email. At this point, you will need to provide your valid original United States passport (or Non Indian passport if Non-US nationality) so that the U-Visa (OCI) sticker can be affixed to a blank visa page.

No, Now Original US/Foreign passport is not needed along with the OCI application submission (i think those submitted after 6/15/2011 ?) . Travisa should inform applicant when the same needs to be sent to them.

However, ensure that your documentation includes the US/Foreign passport copies (self attested) wherever needed !!

Thanks for your reply.

No, Now Original US/Foreign passport is not needed along with the OCI application submission (i think those submitted after 6/15/2011 ?) . Travisa should inform applicant when the same needs to be sent to them.

However, ensure that your documentation includes the US/Foreign passport copies (self attested) wherever needed !!

I applied for OCI in last year when Indian Embassy was processing all OCI and Renunciation applications. Now I have to apply my parent's OCI and Renunciation forms and have few quick questions:

1. Does Travisa allows applicant to send OCI and Renunciation forms together? If yes, is that the most efficient way (in terms of total amount of time to complete both processes) to complete the process?
2. As per on Travisa's website, OCI processing time is about 30 days and Renunciation processing time is about 15 days. Is this the accurate time based on your experience? Will they be able to deliver both in 45 days if there is no missing information in application?
3. Can I send an application for my mother and father in one envelop? How many prepaid return envelops should I add if I send OCI and Renunciation applications in one package for my parents?

Thanks in advance!

I applied for OCI in last year when Indian Embassy was processing all OCI and Renunciation applications. Now I have to apply my parent's OCI and Renunciation forms and have few quick questions:

1. Does Travisa allows applicant to send OCI and Renunciation forms together? If yes, is that the most efficient way (in terms of total amount of time to complete both processes) to complete the process?
2. As per on Travisa's website, OCI processing time is about 30 days and Renunciation processing time is about 15 days. Is this the accurate time based on your experience? Will they be able to deliver both in 45 days if there is no missing information in application?
3. Can I send an application for my mother and father in one envelop? How many prepaid return envelops should I add if I send OCI and Renunciation applications in one package for my parents?

Thanks in advance!

(1.) BE CAREFUL! talk with TRAVISA first. They could make sure life hell or heaven. Safe route: get the renunciation certificate first, then apply for O.C.I for hassle free process.

for (2.) and (3.), I have no comments as I have NOT gone through TRAVISA and their necessary procedure.

Please read through the entire forum as others have already mentioned what the best way to approach with TRAVISA and Embassy of India - Washington D.C.

good luck.

please post back on this forum as to what you did, and what were their results.

-thanks

(1.) BE CAREFUL! talk with TRAVISA first. They could make sure life hell or heaven. Safe route: get the renunciation certificate first, then apply for O.C.I for hassle free process.

for (2.) and (3.), I have no comments as I have NOT gone through TRAVISA and their necessary procedure.

Please read through the entire forum as others have already mentioned what the best way to approach with TRAVISA and Embassy of India - Washington D.C.

good luck.

please post back on this forum as to what you did, and what were their results.

-thanks

Thanks!

I will contact Travisa to get their input on this. But what is the general trend for application at present for those who recently became USA citizen and trying to get Renunciation and OCI visa? Do ppl send both applications together or do they request OCI only after receiving Renunciation certificate?

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes, The request to Travisa can be combined for both OCI and Renunciation together. ( it will save you about $12 per applicant in Travisa processing fees). There is no guarantee to the time of delivery for either of these documents back, the ones listed are just expected timelines. There are applicants here waiting for more than 5 months for OCI, and i personally waited for 60 days just to get Renunciation for a Family member.
2. Your Parents (father/mother) , if they apply for OCI (and Renunciation) together as a Family can send the application as one package , and will just need 1 prepaid Return label. ( See other posts on this forum on how to generate Prepaid Labels with both UPS and Fedex.)

Note : effective June 15,2011 the Foreign/US passports are not needed to be send in at the time of application of the OCI request. This will be needed later on when OCI is approved and the orginal passports are needed with Travisa/Consulate for afixing the Visa. Combining the Renunciation/OCI will need multiple sets of documentation copies ( which someone else can guide you on , if u need help there ).

OCI application Qs

Hello, I will shortly be applying for me and my wife's OCI applications. Had these questions.
1) I read thru the photograph requirement. It only talks about a light colored background. Our pictures are with a cream/neutral color not white bg. I think that is a light colored background. Is that ok or is a blue colored background a requirement?
2) When should I send the prepaid return label? With my original application or when I send my US passport for OCI stamping?
Thanks for your response.

I will update this thread as i go thru my OCI process.

Thanks!

You never know what they will accept and reject. I sent pictures with cream color background, same pictures used for US Passport.

The prepaid return label should be in first package. I used Fedex account number as there is no such thing as Prepaid as per Fedex guys.. Travisa says don't include credit card details on return label. The Fedex account is free and has credit card details.

Hello, I will shortly be applying for me and my wife's OCI applications. Had these questions.
1) I read thru the photograph requirement. It only talks about a light colored background. Our pictures are with a cream/neutral color not white bg. I think that is a light colored background. Is that ok or is a blue colored background a requirement?
2) When should I send the prepaid return label? With my original application or when I send my US passport for OCI stamping?
Thanks for your response.

I will update this thread as i go thru my OCI process.

Thanks!

Q.3265 VISA to NRIs

March 16, 2011

LOK SABHA
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO.3265
TO BE ANSWERED ON 16.03.2011

SHRI P.L. PUNIA:

Will the Minister of EXTERNAL AFFAIRS be pleased to state:

(a) whether the Government has formulated a scheme to provide lifetime visa to the Non-Resident Indians;
(b) if so, the details thereof;
(c) whether PIO and OCI cards are likely to be merged in this scheme; and
(d) if so, the details thereof?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (SMT. PRENEET KAUR)

(a) & (b) Yes. The Government has formulated ‘Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card’ which is issued to a foreign national (i) who was citizen of India any time after after 26th January, 1950 or (ii) who was eligible for citizenship of India on 26th January, 1950 or (iii) who is a citizen of another country, but belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947 or (iv) who is a child or grand child of such a citizen or (v) any person who is a minor child of a person mentioned in clauses (i) to (iv) above. No person who is or was a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may specify shall be eligible for OCI card. The holder of an OCI card is entitled to multiple-entry, multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India and can take up studies, business, employment etc in India. The holder enjoys parity with Non-resident Indians in economic, financial and educational fields except for acquisition of agricultural land or plantation. The scheme is already in force.

(c) & (d) Yes. PIO and OCI cards will be merged with effect from 1st April, 2011. After merger, the holders of the two cards shall enjoy the same benefits and shall be subject to the same restrictions.

http://meaindia.nic.in/myprint.php?id=220217425&d=26&sz=c&m=&y=&pg=&flg=&searchdata1=

what do you guys think?

OCI Timeline

Hi all,

My wife and I sent the documentation for OCI yesterday. We need to travel to India in the first week of October.

Do you think the process would be completed by then?

Thanks!

Here's our timeline.

08/11/2011 - Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
08/11/2011 - Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

Hi all,

My wife and I sent the documentation for OCI yesterday. We need to travel to India in the first week of October.

Do you think the process would be completed by then?

Thanks!

Here's our timeline.

08/11/2011 - Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

Lately, based on many who have shared their timelines OCI cards are being processed in about 45-50 days. So very likely you will get this before your planned date in Oct. (if there are no hitches.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated timeline:

08/11/2011 - Documents prepared to go to Embassy
08/12/2011 - Documents received by Consulate

OCI-Travisa Outsourcing
I'm filing for my OCI. I'm an Indian born US citizen who has her Indian passoprt. My husband however was born in India and migrated to UK in 1972 on his mum's UK passport. She had cancelled her Indian passport in 1952 after aquiring her Kenyan passport. Travisa outsouring is asking for my husband's Indian passport. I told them he is not in possession of any but they want proof of his travel from India to UK. I did send his Indian birth certificate to them. His mum does have her Kenyan passport anymore. What do I do?

Thank you for your help in advance

I recently became a US Citizen and I would like to apply for the OCI now.

I am a little confused on the process and I see that most of the posts are older by 6 months at least and don't know if the processing requirements apply still the same;

I have the following questions;

1) Can I apply renunciation certificate and OCI together?
2) How long is the usual process for OCI (assuming I don't have any complexities in my case)
3) I have to apply for renunciation separately for my wife and myself, correct?
4) My children are born US Citizens so I guess I have to apply OCI for all of us?
5) Can I send all of these in a single packet?
6) Do I need to send the payment separately for each one of us or could I send them together as single MO?
7) Also, if Money orders need to be send separately I guess then renunciation certificates x 2, 4 OCIs means I need to send 6 money orders, correct?

Please advice.

Thanks a lot.

I recently became a US Citizen and I would like to apply for the OCI now.

I am a little confused on the process and I see that most of the posts are older by 6 months at least and don't know if the processing requirements apply still the same;

I have the following questions;

1) Can I apply renunciation certificate and OCI together?
2) How long is the usual process for OCI (assuming I don't have any complexities in my case)
3) I have to apply for renunciation separately for my wife and myself, correct?
4) My children are born US Citizens so I guess I have to apply OCI for all of us?
5) Can I send all of these in a single packet?
6) Do I need to send the payment separately for each one of us or could I send them together as single MO?
7) Also, if Money orders need to be send separately I guess then renunciation certificates x 2, 4 OCIs means I need to send 6 money orders, correct?

Please advice.

Thanks a lot.

Anyone guys?