OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Ture......printed date has moved in my case too.

Document printing status means your application & photo have been accepted. Do not mean to discourage you but my Printing Status Date kept on changing from Feb 25 - Feb 28, don't know why that happened. Initially I thot , Feb 25th they printed it, then next day it said Feb 26th and so on until it got steady on and after Feb 28. Just keep checking.

N400guy / anyone ,

When we send OCI docs to DC,

1. Do we need to attach Prepaid label on a return envelope or simply send the label with other docs ?
Just the label should suffice.

2. I assume one money order that includes Travisa fee of $12 and oci fee.
Yes. If you're applying as an individual or a family, then send one money order that will include all the oci Appln & Travisa fees. The Travisa order form should indicate how much the money order should be for.
Thanks!

All the best!

N400guy , yours is so fast . Unbelivable . Does it means that your status granted and pasport recived ?

02/08/2011 Service order form completed online
02/21/2011 OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsoucing
02/21/2011 Application assigned for processing
02/21/2011 Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
02/22/2011 Documents prepared.
02/23/2011 Documents received by Consulate
02/24/2011 Photo scanned;Registration status granted
02/28/2011 Documents printed
03/02/2011 Docs dispatched to Wash DC

Why this Houston takes this much time . thanks .

Senthil,

I may not be the best person to answer why Houston is slower than Washington. Its how the Consulate & Travisa co-ordination has been setup. It may look like Washington DC is fast because they stepped into this Outsourcing business first and then New York & Houston followed. I would give them some time to catch up. It states 30 days as processing time for Washington but New York says 40 days. How much does Houston say?

N400guy , yours is so fast . Unbelivable . Does it means that your status granted and pasport recived ?

02/08/2011 Service order form completed online
02/21/2011 OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsoucing
02/21/2011 Application assigned for processing
02/21/2011 Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
02/22/2011 Documents prepared.
02/23/2011 Documents received by Consulate
02/24/2011 Photo scanned;Registration status granted
02/28/2011 Documents printed
03/02/2011 Docs dispatched to Wash DC

Why this Houston takes this much time . thanks .

Well, the Renunciation package along with Indian passports were sent along with the OCI package. Haven't got any notifications on that. When I go to track the application, it is still in "Service order form online completed". Hopefully once they receive the OCI in Washington, they'll process the renunciation.

By the way, where does the renunciation get approved? In India or Washington?

renunciation gets approved by local guy in Washington embassy.

renunciation gets approved by local guy in Washington embassy.

Even though Travisa asks you prepare a separate order form for sending Renunciation package, one cannot track the Renunciation package when sent along with OCI package. Everything is clubbed with OCI application. Bottom line is ,OCI cannot be approved until Renunciation is done. So, if you have sent your Renunciation packet along with OCI, the acknowledgement for OCI should be considered as the acknowledgement for Renunciation also.

Also, after documents are received by embassy, it takes about a week for Travisa to send back the approved packet.

Had to dial in everyday to get hold of a Travisa rep to answer my queries. :(

Thanks. I see that my registration was approved on Feb 10th but on the same day the photo was rejected. So its stuck at the consulate and Travisa kept showing the same message, Pending approval from GoI. Need to figure out how to resolve this issue.

Have you resolved your photo issue? If so, please share your experience.

N400Guy / others ,
My case status has not changed for a week... i mean the documents have not been dispatched to DC yet. I don't see any message of rejection..... could this be a Photo rejection issue? How can I check this? Should i call Travisa or Consulate? Anyone else with photo rejection issue can you tell what OCI status will show up in Photo/Signature status? (mine shows as Scanned, will it show as rejected if there was problem?)

Date Of Acknowledgment 01-MAR-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On 01-MAR-2011
Registration Status Granted 02-MAR-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 04-MAR-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

N400Guy / others ,
My case status has not changed for a week... i mean the documents have not been dispatched to DC yet. I don't see any message of rejection..... could this be a Photo rejection issue? How can I check this? Should i call Travisa or Consulate? Anyone else with photo rejection issue can you tell what OCI status will show up in Photo/Signature status? (mine shows as Scanned, will it show as rejected if there was problem?)

Date Of Acknowledgment 01-MAR-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On 01-MAR-2011
Registration Status Granted 02-MAR-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 04-MAR-2011

If your photo was rejected, it would have said "REJECTED" instead of "SCANNED". As mentioned previously, doc printing date keeps changing and after a while it becomes static. After this, it takes about 5-7 days for the documents to be dispatched. In your case, I don't see a delay because March 4 was a Friday and a week from there was another weekend. You should defnitely see some change tomorrow. Probably they just wait for a certain number of applications to be prepared before dispatching it to DC and not individually.

Just cheer up and hope you see a status change in a day or two. All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, I have been guilty of this as much as anyone, so I am not pointing fingers or riling anyone. Just one observation I have is that people get so eager to find out status after just a few days. I think we all have been through the long immigration process that took years, and we see OCI as the end of it all. We want it to finish quickly and get it over with. My point being, lets give these guys some breathing room and do their work and not create extra work by non-stop calling and emailing them. So what if we have not received an acknowledgement after say 5 days of the receipt, or so what if the status is the same after 6 days etc.. Have you forgotten your experience with USCIS, where a week would be a miracle to get anything done!! Lets not be overly worried until there is actually an issue and the processing goes beyond the expected timelines (30 days or 40 days).

Enough said...over to you guys..

Folks, I have been guilty of this as much as anyone, so I am not pointing fingers or riling anyone. Just one observation I have is that people get so eager to find out status after just a few days. I think we all have been through the long immigration process that took years, and we see OCI as the end of it all. We want it to finish quickly and get it over with. My point being, lets give these guys some breathing room and do their work and not create extra work by non-stop calling and emailing them. So what if we have not received an acknowledgement after say 5 days of the receipt, or so what if the status is the same after 6 days etc.. Have you forgotten your experience with USCIS, where a week would be a miracle to get anything done!! Lets not be overly worried until there is actually an issue and the processing goes beyond the expected timelines (30 days or 40 days).

Enough said...over to you guys..

Not everyone falls into the same bucket as you mentioned. There will be folks who want to travel in the coming months and want to secure flight reservations based on the status of thier OCI. Flight deals are like "You snooze, you loose". Status not updated for a week creates an anxiety among people whether the OCI is going to be approved within a stipulated time-frame.

I do agree with you but we need to consider two sets of people dealing with the situation.

First set -> I don't care when it comes but I'm just excited about the movement of the OCI status.
Second set -> Yes, I want to plan my summer vacation and need to get a handle on where my OCI is. Whether I'll get it within next month or so.

I've seen people in the Houston, NY OCI threads who mailed out thier OCI application in Aug 2010 and haven't seen an acknowlegement since recently. This was after repeated calls , voicemail & emailing the Consulate services.

Again, USCIS experience has taught us some hard lessons, does not mean you need to get used to it all the time.

Just my 2c here.

Not everyone falls into the same bucket as you mentioned. There will be folks who want to travel in the coming months and want to secure flight reservations based on the status of thier OCI. Flight deals are like "You snooze, you loose". Status not updated for a week creates an anxiety among people whether the OCI is going to be approved within a stipulated time-frame.

I do agree with you but we need to consider two sets of people dealing with the situation.

First set -> I don't care when it comes but I'm just excited about the movement of the OCI status.
Second set -> Yes, I want to plan my summer vacation and need to get a handle on where my OCI is. Whether I'll get it within next month or so.

I've seen people in the Houston, NY OCI threads who mailed out thier OCI application in Aug 2010 and haven't seen an acknowlegement since recently. This was after repeated calls , voicemail & emailing the Consulate services.

Again, USCIS experience has taught us some hard lessons, does not mean you need to get used to it all the time.

Just my 2c here.

Point taken, n400Guy. I just feel (as I said, I am guilty of this myself, so probably being hypocritical here) because the system is set up so that we can see our status updates online so soon, we start expecting some 'movement' almost as soon as one step is completed. I fully understand peoples anxiety and have nothing against them. I just feel the 'efficiency' of the online updates is actually their weakness also, if you understand what I mean. That is because we see others status getting updated so soon, we expect the same for ours also.

Point taken, n400Guy. I just feel (as I said, I am guilty of this myself, so probably being hypocritical here) because the system is set up so that we can see our status updates online so soon, we start expecting some 'movement' almost as soon as one step is completed. I fully understand peoples anxiety and have nothing against them. I just feel the 'efficiency' of the online updates is actually their weakness also, if you understand what I mean. That is because we see others status getting updated so soon, we expect the same for ours also.

My intention wasn't to jump on what you said or make you feel guilty about your views. Haven't we seen green cards getting approved for priority dates way beyond ours and the currently handled processing times projected by USCIS. I know, there is lot of IFS & BUTS as to why they do it and how they do it. We all wish and hope they follow the FIRST COME FIRST SERVE rule but they don't which causes a lot of confusion and frustration.

I'm sure, Travisa outsourcing will help align things in a much organized way going forward for acknowledging, & sending/receiving your OCI packet to & from the embassy/consulate. The only thing they'll not be able to swear on are the approvals.

Received OCI & passports this morning. The surrender certificates were enclosed in the Cancelled Indian passports. Travisa did a good job of clubbing the passports & OCI together.

Total of 23 days from start to finish. Hope everyone gets thier approval soon.

cool......23 days ? I mailed OCI application for Minor PIO card holder on Monday(3/14/2011) ...hope it goes fast like urs.....

Guys,

My progress looks different from most of you guys ?? Especially N400Guy ... So what are the steps to final approval left out for me and my family.

03/04/2011 India visa application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsoucing
03/04/2011 Application assigned for processing
03/07/2011 Passport and supporting documents received by Travisa Outsourcing, payment processed
03/11/2011 Documents prepared to go to Consulate
03/15/2011 Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing to Consulate
03/15/2011 Documents received by Consulate
03/18/2011 Pending approval of the Government of India

The processing steps listed below i assume are left out for me ...
I am planning a trip with my family to india by May end, after processing and approval of which step below would it be safe that I should go ahead and book the tickets. How long should the wait turn out to be to get my documents back. 2-4 weeks.

Photo scanned ???
Registration status granted ??
Documents printed ??
Docs dispatched to Wash DC ??
Docs recvd at Washington ??
Docs recvd and verified by Travisa. ??
OCI & passport dispatched thru FEDEX ???
OCI & passsports received

As stated earlier, what you're referring to is the Travisa website status. The status on their site won't change until documents are received from the Indian embassy.

You need to check the OCI status on Govt. Of India website. OCI Enquiry

Enter your Passport number and Online Registration number (maps to "Consulate ID" from Travisa OCI Order form). Click GO. That's your Indian Gov.t website status. Once Travisa receives documents from Indian embassy, it takes about 3-4 days to be dispatched to you.

Please note, if you do not have Registration Number handy, use the Forgotten Registration Number?..Click here link on to top right hand corner of the enquiry form. This will give you the embassy File (Acknowledgement) number which should then be entered in the File (Acknowlegdement) Number field along with passport number to know status.

Hope this helps.

Guys,

My progress looks different from most of you guys ?? Especially N400Guy ... So what are the steps to final approval left out for me and my family.

03/07/2011 Passport and supporting documents received by Travisa Outsourcing, payment processed

The processing steps listed below i assume are left out for me ...
I am planning a trip with my family to india by May end, after processing and approval of which step below would it be safe that I should go ahead and book the tickets. How long should the wait turn out to be to get my documents back. 2-4 weeks.

Photo scanned ???
Registration status granted ??
Documents printed ??
Docs dispatched to Wash DC ??
Docs recvd at Washington ??
Docs recvd and verified by Travisa. ??
OCI & passport dispatched thru FEDEX ???
OCI & passsports received

N400Guy-Thanks Bro... that helped, i see progress in my application now. I think i should wait till "Documents Printing" Status Turns to "Printed" and then book the ticks.
Since "Photos Scanned" and "Registration Granted" stages have been cleared, i think i am safe unless somebody had a bad experience even after this stage.
Looks like the wait might be another 2-3 weeks before i get the documents in my hand.

Photo/Signature Scanned On 15-MAR-2011
Registration Status Granted On 16-MAR-2011

Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03/15/2011 Photo/Signature Scanned
03/16/2011 Registration Status Granted

Documents Received and verified by Travisa. NOT YET
OCI & passport dispatched thru FEDEX NOT YET
OCI & passsports received NOT YET

Wowwww Washington embassy seems to be in a hurry to clean up their tables with approved OCI cards.

I had my OCI approved around end of December, 2010, but I did not send my US PP because I had made my travel plans around that time.

Here's my OCI stamping time:
Sent US PP for OCI stamping on 3/14/2011 via USPS Priority Mail
Package received by Washington Embassy on 3/16/2011
Received my US PP with OCI stamp and OCI card via UPS Overnight Shipment on 3/18/2011

Just to be on the safer side, keep a window of 30 days from the time Travisa sent your application to Indian embassy. Make sure you count holidays in India, HOLI for e.g. where the Central Govt. offices are closed.

N400Guy-Thanks Bro... that helped, i see progress in my application now. I think i should wait till "Documents Printing" Status Turns to "Printed" and then book the ticks.
Since "Photos Scanned" and "Registration Granted" stages have been cleared, i think i am safe unless somebody had a bad experience even after this stage.
Looks like the wait might be another 2-3 weeks before i get the documents in my hand.

Photo/Signature Scanned On 15-MAR-2011
Registration Status Granted On 16-MAR-2011

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03/15/2011 Photo/Signature Scanned
03/16/2011 Registration Status Granted

Documents Received and verified by Travisa. NOT YET
OCI & passport dispatched thru FEDEX NOT YET
OCI & passsports received NOT YET