OCI - Washington DC Tracker

... otherwise get a visa.
Any idea how long it will take to get an entry visa? The rules have changed recently, but Travisa is fairly good about getting it processed fast. (Obviously I have the SC that's needed for Entry visas.)

Any idea how long it will take to get an entry visa? The rules have changed recently, but Travisa is fairly good about getting it processed fast. (Obviously I have the SC that's needed for Entry visas.)

In person visa application at Travisa takes about 3 days for a former Indian person based upon my recent experience. Non Indian origin people can get same day visas. A naturalized Indian citizen could be granted the visa the same day if all looks well but be ready to wait a week. My advice would be to send a copy of your old Indian passport (or even the original), birth certificate if available and a copy of your natz. Also submit your old US PP if you have recently gotten a new one. I was asked for all those items a couple of months ago and was granted the day I submitted them. All the years before I got my visa the same day without having to submit any documents.

In person visa application at Travisa takes about 3 days for a former Indian person based upon my recent experience. Non Indian origin people can get same day visas. A naturalized Indian citizen could be granted the visa the same day if all looks well but be ready to wait a week. My advice would be to send a copy of your old Indian passport (or even the original), birth certificate if available and a copy of your natz. Also submit your old US PP if you have recently gotten a new one. I was asked for all those items a couple of months ago and was granted the day I submitted them. All the years before I got my visa the same day without having to submit any documents.

Thanks a lot -- very helpful. 3 days is not too bad. Of course, I will have a slightly longer lead time due to mailing. I think I can wait a little longer for OCI before I need to apply.

Good news and update!

I received both packages today! My OCI was delivered by UPS and we were able to pick up my wife's PIO card. The OCI is beautiful:) whereas the PIO card is alright as it is handwritten. Still, great to have a hand written one than wait longer.

DC embassy processed everything in a timely and professional fashion. They even returned my $20 mailing cheque as they probably used my wife's mailing fee to mail both packages.

Final timeline

Here is my final timeline after finishing the process today.
Good luck to everyone else!

Despatched OCI packet (FedEx): Aug 1st
Packet received in D.C August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 9th 2010. (regn status: under process)
Photo/Signature: Scanned (Aug 10)
Registration Status: Granted: 16 Aug
Documents Printing Status: Printed 17 Aug
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 19-AUG-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 08-SEP-2010
Despatched passport for OCI collection (FedEx) 08-SEP
OCI dispatched from embassy (UPS) Sept 15
Attempted delivery 2 packages(Sept 16) requested pick up at UPS location
UPS unable to locate packages after having confirmed that they were ready Sept 16 evening
OCI delivered for me Sept 17 (UPS)
PIO picked up at UPS for my wife Sept 17 (applied in person at DC July 30)

vm1214, nice to see your apps got ack'ed

PS: wife is back from India so planning on applying for her OCI... finally.

Thanks for checking the site Sam, good to see your post.

On what visa did your wife travel to India as I remember things were changing so rapidly since May?

VM

BG2K81,
My doc were received on Monday Aug 30th and acknowledged on Sept 14th.
As I am one of those "old" customer of the embassy all the documents I collected for name change were sent in the packet for them to decide what they want to keep and throw the rest. Are you having the name change issue? The latest rule doesn't ask much for name change

VM1214,
Thanks for the reply. My docs were received at DC on Aug 27th and yet to see it acknowledged but hoping to see something in the next week or so.I also have a middle name drop issue. I did not send any name change documents (like ad clippings etc) as the rules have changed to avoid any confusion. You never know how these guys react.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news Lobo. Am still waiting on my delivery from UPS. Hope it will be soon :) BTW.. were there any references like oci for tracking purposes?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, Pau. I wasn't able to track it using OCi as reference. They didn't include OCI in the recipient's address part but it was there in the sender's portion. It said "OCI phone Embassy of India ... address"
I hope you get it soon as well. See you in Goa one of these day!

Thanks for checking the site Sam, good to see your post.

On what visa did your wife travel to India as I remember things were changing so rapidly since May?

VM

I think she traveled on Tourist VISA, she was able to get it right before all the mess about the Indian Passport started and we also got her passport canceled during the visa processing without any fee... and I am still waiting for my refund ... so many emails but nobody response sensibly or they don't want to respond sensibly. I don't even know if anybody here got the refund ... my case was totally different, they processed my ppt cancel on the day fee was $20, and charged me $175 ... :)

God bless Indian Embassy!!!

Hi

New user here. Very helpful forum. Thanks for setting it up.

OCI Application Package Sent : 8/24/10
OCI Application Package Recd : 8/25/10

This application has not been acknowledged yet. I saw VM1214's application has already been acknowledged even though it was received almost a week later than mine. Should I be concerned?

Do they process the applications in the order they receive it or randomly?

got her passport canceled during the visa processing without any fee... and I am still waiting for my refund ... , they processed my ppt cancel on the day fee was $20, and charged me $175 ... :)

That was lucky Sam, got her passport cancelled without fee but did they give you SC along with it, I believe they need it now as a proof of cancellation or are you planning to send the old cancelled passport?

I read in some post they have written to Indian Authorities in Delhi and they are waiting for a formal authorization to refund the money. (somebody posted a response letter from Ny consulate in this forum).
I really feel sorry for you as your case is on the border line and you got caught in this mess. I felt terrible when my application was returned during that time and you showed the positive side of it and today I feel that. Hope these Indian bureaucrats work on these issues rather than Common Wealth Games.

User_99
Don't get alaramed with such small issues, others and myself have seen worst days than this from this consulate people. I wish they have a set of rules to process but that is not the case so wait till you hear.

Thank VM1214

User_99
Don't get alaramed with such small issues, others and myself have seen worst days than this from this consulate people. I wish they have a set of rules to process but that is not the case so wait till you hear.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully things will move this week as I am coming up on 30 day mark this week.

Congrats again Linux, Lobo. You have graduated from the "Embassy's" OCI course.
Pau, you should be there soon....

VM,
Good luck with your remaining steps and keep us posted... that will be a great journey to get over with in your case...

Forum_User_99,
It is an unpredictable, inconsistent and illogical ride from the time you mail to the time everything that were supposed to reach us reaches back - after successful processing - that is.... not with rejections/denials.... Hope they speed up things..

My US PP was mailed on 17th and reached them this morning.... FedEx tried to give a small scare..... with their status early morning that said... "Document Exception. Person not available or Business Closed" :(:(:( Made me wonder if they really closed such a profitable venture :):):)... at 2536 Mass Ave....

Called FedEx and was comforted that the FedEx employee attempted a delivery at 9:26 AM and "No One" was there to accept the package...

The next attempt at 10:40 AM was successful, however and shows as signed by .NACHULA.

One more "small" wait begins...

Good luck to all of us...

Hi

New user here. Very helpful forum. Thanks for setting it up.

OCI Application Package Sent : 8/24/10
OCI Application Package Recd : 8/25/10

This application has not been acknowledged yet. I saw VM1214's application has already been acknowledged even though it was received almost a week later than mine. Should I be concerned?

Do they process the applications in the order they receive it or randomly?

User_99,
I have a similar time line with 8/27 receipt date at DC. Still have not seen acknowledged but they do indicate 8 weeks to acknowledge but being watching this forum it is bumpy ride - some things go fast whereas other go slow. It did slow down a bit but hoepfully will pick up soon.
BG2k81

Stuck at the last stage

10 days since dispatch status ... nobody is answering the phones or emails today. They pick up the phone and hang up. It's too far for me to visit the embassy without taking a couple of days off from work.

Anyone from around DC planning to visit the embassy? If so, can you check why things would be stuck at dispatch stage? Is the person with green ink pen on vacation again?

EMBASSY PEOPLE, IF YOU ARE READING THIS: PLEASE DON'T KEEP ME HANGING AT THE LAST STAGE ... SIGN IT SO THAT I HAVE OCI BEFORE I HAVE TO TRAVEL, PLEASE!

It seems to be taking about 14 to 18 days for the status to be updated to recieve. Most likely the person in charge of signing/final approval is only able to dedicate a few days per month and one has to wait for the next time around if one misses that window.

It seems to be taking about 14 to 18 days for the status to be updated to recieve. Most likely the person in charge of signing/final approval is only able to dedicate a few days per month and one has to wait for the next time around if one misses that window.

Darn it! I missed the last "signing day" by 2 days. Why is there a need for signature from DC in the first place?