OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I mailed an official check for $20. It is clearly stated in the instructions unless one paid it earlier.

GC2US / Lobogris

They keeping changing rules all the time right? Has it changed from UPS to any carrier? That is good. Sorry for the confusion.

If you have included the mailing fee 20$ in the initial DD/Money Order that you sent the first time with the packet then you do not have to include another $20.

I did not include and I received all passports safely.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Vignesh

GC2US / Lobogris

They keeping changing rules all the time right? Has it changed from UPS to any carrier? That is good. Sorry for the confusion.

If you have included the mailing fee 20$ in the initial DD/Money Order that you sent the first time with the packet then you do not have to include another $20.

I did not include and I received all passports safely.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Vignesh

I didn't send the extrs $20 initially as I was afraid it would be misplaced or forgotten. I sent it this time.

Is there an online mechanism to check if your PP has been processed by the Embassy and mailed to you? Linux - I see you have some reference to 'checking of UPS tracking with Zip code and "oci" reference'

Linux is refering to an option available on UPS site to track by referrence. One can select the referrence as "OCI" and the country as United States and then enter the zipcode and a date range. This then leads to all shipments for that zipcode that have OCI as referrence to be displayed and then one can assume that the one in transit for your zipcode is probably yours. This doesn't always work but I have been checking it too but nothing pending even though I can see that several luck people have recieved them this year!

Thanks Lobogris... I assume that with FEDEX now receiving the blessings of the US Consulate as the preferred carrier, we should check both UPS and Fedex :)

Folks,

I sent the OCI application packet by USPS Express Mail on 08/23/2010. The USPS tracker says that the package was signed by M ANCHULA on 08/24/2010. However, the online OCI inquiry form keeps saying 'Application with this number not yet Acknowledged' when I enter my registration number. I see that most members here have seen their status updated to '...under process' within a week/10 days of sending their application packet. If something is wrong with my application packet, what steps should I take?

Thanks for you suggestions.

Is there an online mechanism to check if your PP has been processed by the Embassy and mailed to you? Linux - I see you have some reference to 'checking of UPS tracking with Zip code and "oci" reference'

Go to UPS site and enter zip code, country and in "shipment reference" oci.
you can play around with the "date range" to see if folks in ur zipcode got this in the last few months. it works :)

AMV, I sent mine on Aug-24th for OCI stamping no response either...

Folks,

I sent the OCI application packet by USPS Express Mail on 08/23/2010. The USPS tracker says that the package was signed by M ANCHULA on 08/24/2010. However, the online OCI inquiry form keeps saying 'Application with this number not yet Acknowledged' when I enter my registration number. I see that most members here have seen their status updated to '...under process' within a week/10 days of sending their application packet. If something is wrong with my application packet, what steps should I take?

Folks,

I wouldn't worry yet. The DC emabbssy's website clearly states that it takes 2 months for them to acknowledge an application. However, in real practice it is often faster. They seem to have slow periods with little OCI activity (probabaly busy with other tasks) followed by a week when they quickly move through the process. Your application got there in a slow time and would probably be acknowledged this week or the next.

Folks,

I sent the OCI application packet by USPS Express Mail on 08/23/2010. The USPS tracker says that the package was signed by M ANCHULA on 08/24/2010. However, the online OCI inquiry form keeps saying 'Application with this number not yet Acknowledged' when I enter my registration number. I see that most members here have seen their status updated to '...under process' within a week/10 days of sending their application packet.

AMV,
Your situation is different from what bvkmails and others have mentioned. The initial application packet takes a week or two to get entered and "blessed" by the beloved branch. This is when your file number stops displaying the "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged' message".

lobo, linux, bvkmails and others are in the last stages of their OCI processing.... Seniors:):) in the system..... others are juniors as of now :(:(

Their OCI stickers are ready for being affixed to the US PP (after their application was acknowledged, granted, photos scanned, docs printed, despatched from Delhi, Signed by "The Holy Green Pen" and the status being updated to "Reached DC").

All they are waiting for is the OCI sticker to be affixed in the US PP and mailed back along with the wonderful OCI booklet....

If something is wrong with my application packet, what steps should I take?

The application(s) go through a life cycle that might sometimes be complicated than "Theory of evolution"..... For some folks it is very slow in the initial phases, for some others, it gets stuck in the scanned/printed... for some others it gets despatched from "DELHI" but never "Reaches" DC and so on...... making applicants go back to their age-old faith/belief systems.... :):).

In my case, the online status said "Photo/Signature : Rejected" after the application was acknowledged and granted. I contacted the DC office via email and they replied with a crisp one-liner "Please bring a photo between 12:30 and 1:00 PM" on a working day. Like Loborgis mentioned, this time of the year appears to be a slow season for the embassy folks..... School started, kids keeping them busy, drop off and then come to work, leave early to pick up...... :) :) :)... so our papers have piled up on their desks.....

Nothing to scare you.... Just an overview of things...

Hang in there and we should make it in one piece at the end...

linux, lobo and others...
Thanks for sharing your $20.00 mailing policies..... Appreciate it much..

Good luck to all...

Last edited by a moderator:
lobo, linux, bvkmails and others are in the last stages of their OCI processing.... Seniors in the system..... others are juniors as of now

I like this! I suppose we have earned it.

Anyone has any ideas about inquiring about or speeding up my wife's PIO application pending at the DC shrine? It has been 45 days now.

Lobo,
Their PIO instructions page http://www.indianembassy.org/pio.php has the usual disclaimer about the processing times.

Ordinarily, it takes about 45 business/working days to issue a PIO card but this schedule does not apply to cases where approval is required from authorities in India.

Considering their processing speed with all the pending OCI/PIO cases, it should get cleared in a week's time, I would guess..

In any case, I would send an email to piowashington@indiagov.org and see what comes out of it. Doesn't hurt to shoot an email..... Worst that could happen is not getting any response.... Best outcome might be that someone goes looking for it and completes any remaining steps and you get everything done.

Good luck...

Thank you, GC. I have sent a couple of emails in the past 2 weeks but haven't recieved any response. I did manage to speak to a gentelman at the shrine about 3 weeks back. He sounded hassled but very nice and sincere and assured me that he would send the card but didn't give any date and hung up. Nothing yet and keeping our fingers crossed. A personal visit would be on the cards if we don't get it in the next couple of weeks.

Check for the I instead of 1

Folks,

AMV et all

Please note that the Web Reference Number starts with USAWI???. Lot of people including yours truly misunderstood the I for a 1 and were checking the USA1 number.
Anyway I hope none of you guys are doing this but I just wanted to reiterate this fact.

Good luck.

-Vgnesh

Hey GC4US,
You write funny, it is a good personality that you put smile on the reader which I believe it relieves their stress and anxiety.

I wanted to share a news that I am blessed, today my whole family application's (4) got acknowledged (looking since May) Now my question is do we need to keep a note of File number assigned to the cases?

Thanks
Ven

Hey GC4US,
You write funny, it is a good personality that you put smile on the reader which I believe it relieves their stress and anxiety.

I wanted to share a news that I am blessed, today my whole family application's (4) got acknowledged (looking since May) Now my question is do we need to keep a note of File number assigned to the cases?

Thanks
Ven

Hi VM,
Thanks for the kind words. I am happy to hear that my responses don't offend anyone.... If it does, please point it out and I shall refrain.... and apologies in advance....

We shouldn't take any role in causing pain and suffering in anyone's situation.... Our Indian consulates have sole authority and complete copyright for that role and why compete with them when they have proven it time and again...

I think, by far, you are the senior most in terms of when your process started. We wish you and your family a "Speedy Processing of OCI" in the remaining stages.

Not sure about saving the "File Number". I have saved it to my OCI file - in case it is required for any future reference at the Consulate..... Maybe they have different systems that use different keys for tracking our applications.

Lobo, Linux and others,
Did you mention the File# and Ack# on the envelope when mailing your US PP to the embassy for OCI stamping?

Good luck to all

Hello GC4,
I didn't mention the file number on the outside of the envelope though now that I have read your advice, I probably should have. I wrote OCI dispatch/cleection on the outside and the first thing in the envelope was the printout of the status page. This was followed by a cover letter containg a bolded file number and my address and then the passport, the $ 20 official check and self attested photocopies of my old Indian passport with the cancelled stamp (to be on the safe side). I had submitted notarized colour copies of the Indian passport and colour copies of the naturalization certificate in the initial package so this is just for back up. Please don't give me any grief about it being unlawful to copy the natz certificate!

Hello GC4,
I didn't mention the file number on the outside of the envelope though now that I have read your advice, I probably should have. I wrote OCI dispatch/cleection on the outside and the first thing in the envelope was the printout of the status page. This was followed by a cover letter containg a bolded file number and my address and then the passport, the $ 20 official check and self attested photocopies of my old Indian passport with the cancelled stamp (to be on the safe side). I had submitted notarized colour copies of the Indian passport and colour copies of the naturalization certificate in the initial package so this is just for back up. Please don't give me any grief about it being unlawful to copy the natz certificate!

As most of us have done the Nat Cert Copy process, it is nothing to complain from our side..... But don't say it loud..... If the embassy learns about it, then they might do what SFO is doing for one of their doc requirements (Ref Step-7) to submit I-130 http://www.cgisf.org/oc/OCI_FAQS.html

We don't want our beloved embassies/consulates to make us submit "Certified copies of the Nat Cert" issued by USCIS and then notarize, self-attest, with a witness signature......

Good luck to all of us....

vm1214, nice to see your apps got ack'ed
gc4us, you still here?

I guess requirements have been changing for the OCI application, and if I understand it correctly, now you only need to "Self Attest" all the required documents including the Nat. Cert. ?

PS: wife is back from India so planning on applying for her OCI... finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
As most of us have done the Nat Cert Copy process, it is nothing to complain from our side..... But don't say it loud..... If the embassy learns about it, then they might do what SFO is doing for one of their doc requirements (Ref Step-7) to submit I-130 http://www.cgisf.org/oc/OCI_FAQS.html

We don't want our beloved embassies/consulates to make us submit "Certified copies of the Nat Cert" issued by USCIS and then notarize, self-attest, with a witness signature......

Good luck to all of us....

I agree. I think the SF embassy has that note as they don't want to offically recommend an "illegal" manner of copying the certificate.