OCI - Washington DC Tracker

1. I did not mention anything on the outside of the envelope when I sent my pps.
2. Today the UPS guy visited my house - when all of us were away and left a note that "Embassy India" wants in-person sig ..so coming back tomorrow.
Luckily am WFH tomorrow - so i guess this should end the show for me!

1. I did not mention anything on the outside of the envelope when I sent my pps.
2. Today the UPS guy visited my house - when all of us were away and left a note that "Embassy India" wants in-person sig ..so coming back tomorrow.
Luckily am WFH tomorrow - so i guess this should end the show for me!

Congratulations Linux!!

Were you/are you able to track your shipment by reference? I have no note , nor can I see any current shipments.

Alright - the freindly UPS guy came and delivered the packet to me, just now.
2 PPs and 2 OCIs - and a surprise - the $20 M.O was returned by the Embassy!
Now walmart is going to eat away 3$ and return me $17.00 :( (good enough for a nice 12 pack)
Thats it guys ..

My Timeline Update:
Applied for SC in person: July 26th
Picked up SC in person: July 29th
Despatched OCI packet: July 31st
Packet received in D.C (signed by P Anchula): August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 10th 2010. (regn status: under process)
Photo/Signature: Scanned (Aug 11)
Registration Status: Granted: 17 Aug
Documents Printing Status: Printed 17 Aug
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 19-AUG-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 08-SEP-2010
Despatched passports 08-SEP
PPs received at Embassy on Sep 09 (signed by S Anu)
Received Stamped passports and OCIs on September 16 2010.
E.O.L

vm1214, nice to see your apps got ack'ed
gc4us, you still here?

I guess requirements have been changing for the OCI application, and if I understand it correctly, now you only need to "Self Attest" all the required documents including the Nat. Cert. ?

PS: wife is back from India so planning on applying for her OCI... finally.

Sam,
I am still hanging around here..... Embassy likes my presence here for some more time, I guess :):)...

You are correct..... Requirements are changing on a weekly, monthly basis..... They don't have any formal change process :):) and don't have to adhere to any of the work flow models for sure......

Self-attest, Notarize and other requirements are fuzzy.... I think notarizing is required if you submit docs for kids..... Not sure if I did it for Nat Cert, however.... I can check my folders and post here....

Good luck

Alright - the freindly UPS guy came and delivered the packet to me, just now.
2 PPs and 2 OCIs - and a surprise - the $20 M.O was returned by the Embassy!
Now walmart is going to eat away 3$ and return me $17.00 :( (good enough for a nice 12 pack)
Thats it guys ..

Congratulations Linux.... That is awesome to hear..... We are going to miss you here :(

Is the $3.00 for returning the M.O back or for the 12 pack?
If it is for returning, then don't do it that way....... I was under that impression too- until a friend told me to just make it payable to yourself or a friend and use it as a payment at a shop.....

On a lighter note:):)..... if you are going for the 12 pack..... will your signature be amended to

#include<std.disclaimer>
-----------------------

Take life with:
1. A pinch of salt
2. A dash of lime ..and
3. A shot of tequila !!
4. If ! OCIMailingFeeProcessed()
5. Buy12Pack()

:) :)
Based on the OCI/SC experience... do you still think BCIS-SUX.... or is there another long story :(behind that... ??

Last edited by a moderator:
My Timeline Update:
Applied for SC in person: July 26th
Picked up SC in person: July 29th
Despatched OCI packet: July 31st
Packet received in D.C (signed by P Anchula): August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 10th 2010. (regn status: under process)
Photo/Signature: Scanned (Aug 11)
Registration Status: Granted: 17 Aug
Documents Printing Status: Printed 17 Aug
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 19-AUG-2010
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 08-SEP-2010
Despatched passports 08-SEP
PPs received at Embassy on Sep 09 (signed by S Anu)
Received Stamped passports and OCIs on September 16 2010.
E.O.L

Yeah!! Congratulations!
I hope I get mine today as well.

Sam,
I am still hanging around here..... Embassy likes my presence here for some more time, I guess :):)...

You are correct..... Requirements are changing on a weekly, monthly basis..... They don't have any formal change process :):) and don't have to adhere to any of the work flow models for sure......

Self-attest, Notarize and other requirements are fuzzy.... I think notarizing is required if you submit docs for kids..... Not sure if I did it for Nat Cert, however.... I can check my folders and post here....

Good luck

Thanks buddy, and good luck to you too. I am planning on sending my wife's docs on Monday, will do more study to make sure everything is in order. I have seen that they have a standard cover letter now on the website, which do help, but yes, the instructions are so unclear and so non-user friendly that they can have n number of reason to send your application back. So it helps them not us.

Hey VM1214,
When was your documents received at DC? I think they received mine on 8/27/10 and mine is not acknowledged yet. Just wondering.. I guess you are good with your name change issue now since yours is acknowledged..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!
Point is I already wrote payable to "embassy of india" on the M.O. So dont know if i can change that. I will find out.
By the way, mine was also a "first name change" case. My first name on Indian passport was different from my first name on US passport.
VeeraVenkataVarahaSatyaPrasad to Venky ..
(you get the drift ?)
I did one ad in Times of India in India and one ad locally and attached both copies with my OCI application.

Amidst all these updates.... Just found that my docs have "Reached DC";);) on Sep-15-2010.... The Holy Green Signature has finally been inscribed on the OCI docs.....

As the latest carrier of choice is FedEx I shall pay my dues to FedEx and have them deliver my US PP.

Hopefully, the last mile in this journey....

Good luck to all of us...

Thanks guys!
Point is I already wrote payable to "embassy of india" on the M.O. So dont know if i can change that. I will find out.

Ooopss!!! My apologies.... Forgot about the part that you must have written the receipient's name....

By the way, mine was also a "first name change" case. My first name on Indian passport was different from my first name on US passport.
VeeraVenkataVarahaSatyaPrasad to Venky ..
(you get the drift ?)
I did one ad in Times of India in India and one ad locally and attached both copies with my OCI application.

Getting this done successfully in itself is a great achievement..... I stayed away from updating the last name for spouse - just to avoid any confusion with the various systems (US Immigration, Indian Administrative offices).... I already had enough pains in synching 2 birth places...... for one person and had to give up at some point.... So Bravo and Good job...

I have learnt that UPS tried to deliver 2 packages for me too today! We will pick them up later this evening. I am hoping it is my OCI and ny wife's PIO card!!

Congrats seniors and good luck juniors!

Seniors, I need your opinion. It has been one full week since the Dispatch from Delhi. Should I wait a little longer for "Received in Washington" or should I just send the US passports for U-visa stamping such that it gets there in 10 days from Dispatch? They have said contact in 10 days. Does that mean send US passports in 10 days?

I am within 30 days of travel and the question is should I bet it all and wait for OCI or should I apply for Entry visa next week? I'm so close from OCI and the travel is coming up. I would really like to have my OCI.

Congrats seniors and good luck juniors!

Seniors, I need your opinion. It has been one full week since the Dispatch from Delhi. Should I wait a little longer for "Received in Washington" or should I just send the US passports for U-visa stamping such that it gets there in 10 days from Dispatch? They have said contact in 10 days. Does that mean send US passports in 10 days?

I am within 30 days of travel and the question is should I bet it all and wait for OCI or should I apply for Entry visa next week? I'm so close from OCI and the travel is coming up. I would really like to have my OCI.
It looks like the DC embassy has slowed down when it comes to updating the received documents. In my and several other people cases in the last few eeks, it took about 20 days for the status to change to received (Aug 19th dispatched- Sept 8th received). You could try sending your passport in advance but you risk being without it if you need a visa. The turn around time after the documents are marked received seems to be about a week for all of us. So I would wait till mid next week and then mail in the passport if the status changes and otherwise get a visa.

:mad:
Congrats linux. End of a long journey for you :)

Lobo - Hope it is the end for you too.

This is crazy :mad:
I asked for the packages to be held at UPS location fro same day pickup and I got a call confirming that they would be available after 7:00 pm for pickup. When we got there they couldn't locate the packages! We waited 2 hours till they closed and everyone else got their package but us:confused:

Anyway, I hope they can locate the package as that would be terrible at this stage.

Lobo - looks like every ram, krishna and hari wants to have a say on the OCI process! Feel sorry for your travails - when the "brown" guys decide to call the plays.
GS-12, Please DO NOT send the passports without a p/o which shows that DC received status of passports.
The Devi ji clearly mentioned that.
On the stroke of 10th day/11th day - you may go and meet them, if you have a chance.
From the date the status shows "received at DC", its a 8-day wait.

Lobo, Linux ... thanks for the feedback.

I will follow your advice about waiting. Going to DC is not practical for me because of the distance. I can at least send email or make phone calls until someone responds.

Lobo, sorry to hear what happened. I hope you get it tomorrow.

Thanks again!