OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Lobo and Pau - completed the visit to the shrine! parked on belmont and walked by exactly at 12.30.
The Devi that called out folks took my printout and passports and went inside and came out after 3 minutes to tell me that there are several "hundred" OCI cards which the great "Babu" has to sign in green ink - and the status will be updated only after the "signing" ceremony! She did confirm that this file did reach DC!
And then she said, once you see the web status change, which could be by next week, mail us the passports - we will not take it in person!
She said that Babu was out till today and will be in tomorrow - and he expects the signing ceremony to conclude tomorrow!
I cant believe that the Babus have to sign the doc in green ink ...damn!

Thank you for this very important information, linuxrox. It makes me feel much better as now I can wait till tomorrow or next week. I am also anxiously waiting for my wife's PIO card. It has been one month and 3 days and we were told it would be ready "in Oct". Unfortuntaely there is no way of knowing what is ahppening with it. Were you able to go in easily? Do they opne the door at 12:30 and allow anyone waiting to simply go in?

Lobo and Pau - completed the visit to the shrine! parked on belmont and walked by exactly at 12.30.
The Devi that called out folks took my printout and passports and went inside and came out after 3 minutes to tell me that there are several "hundred" OCI cards which the great "Babu" has to sign in green ink - and the status will be updated only after the "signing" ceremony! She did confirm that this file did reach DC!
And then she said, once you see the web status change, which could be by next week, mail us the passports - we will not take it in person!
She said that Babu was out till today and will be in tomorrow - and he expects the signing ceremony to conclude tomorrow!
I cant believe that the Babus have to sign the doc in green ink ...damn!

In a normal office structure, there are alternate contacts, deputies, in-charges, assistant and the like to take care of business when someone is not in the office. Well, we are not talking about a normal structure here, right.....
If that person is out for 2 weeks, then everything (related to approved OCIs) come to a standstill :(:(:confused::confused:

Oh Well Linux!!! Sorry that it was not a fruitful trip..... I am puzzled that the "Devi" said not to visit in person:(.

Thanks for your invaluable time to visit the Mandir and giving us the update. It is very, very heplful and much appreciated...

As for the green ink magic.... http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ker&p=2211755&highlight=green+ink#post2211755

Let us hope for the magic pen to do its job sooner...

Good luck,

Still says NOT YET !! Babu saab - dasthkath kee jiye!!

There is something wrong here. Consular signs the OCI and the U visa sticker after you send the US Passports (they need to paste the sticker to the PP first). Looks like lame excuse to me. Or may be they have too many pending OCI cases for those who have already mailed their Passports waiting for signing and avoiding any more new Passports to pile up.

There is something wrong here. Consular signs the OCI and the U visa sticker after you send the US Passports (they need to paste the sticker to the PP first). Looks like lame excuse to me. Or may be they have too many pending OCI cases for those who have already mailed their Passports waiting for signing and avoiding any more new Passports to pile up.

Raja,
Here is my take on this..... Just a guessing game..... nothing is for sure with these folks anyways... :):)

The backlog theory sounds more realistic and they are probably holding off any more incoming PPs...

If they have a workflow to update the status as soon as the stickers and booklet arrive from Delhi, then they could have gone into a backlog mode and not updating the status.

If they are updating the status only after the "Green Ink Guru" has signed, then they are waiting for that person to showup from his/her vacation and then clear the backlog.

But in any case, by looking at the sticker that is affixed in the US PP, it looks like the one from DELHI can be signed without being stuck on the passport. It is just another rounded rectangle paper that has glue base. In fact, it will be easier to sign it before affixing on the PP and not fight with the PP to hold it straight....

It looks more like a case where there is only ONE green ink pen in the entire office and the owner of that PEN is missing in action:):):)

Good luck to all of us....

Let us hope things are updated by Tuesday or Wed. It is sad that everything moved so fast for us and then got stuck at this last stage. The "Devi" did vaguely mention that the status might be updated next week. So let's hope so. Pau, are you from Goa? I love Goa!

gc4us.. lol@insider information... I wish. It was based on what the 'devi' told linux.

Lobo, yeah... parents from Goa but raised in Bombay (I refuse to call it Mumbai).

damn man - we should never jinx apna desi anything~ applies across!
I guess the fact Devi said "send them next week when u see the change in status" i guess the green-inker is on vacation - schools open next week anyway ..

I also keep calling it Bombay out of habit. It is weird that the media changed so quickly and calls it Mumbai all the time. Anyway, I am not traveling till early Nov so I am ok with a little delay. I am more worried about my wife's PIO card as we have no idea as to its progress. I am just dying to see and posses this beautiful document. I now wish that I had never given up my Indian citizenship.

It seems like I have been caught up in the backlog as well. My photos were scanned on Aug 24. It has been 2 weeks as of today and no progress at all. Who knows how much longer it will be. Any thoughts on what I should do or when I can expect to see progress? My travel dates are coming up soon :(

The progress should be quick ONCE they start moving again. Your status should go to granted, printed and dispatched within a week to 10 days after they start working on OCIs again. I hope you don't get stuck in another slowdown after that as your travel is coming up.

This is ludicrous! The status just said:
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 08-SEP-2010
And today is September 7th!!!
Guess they are attempting their hand at "humour"!!!!!

Congratulations, linuxrox!
They might be on an official time zone where the next day starts at 4:00 pm (after hours) or perhaps Delhi business day time as the website is hosted there. This is common practice in banks where deposits are marked as received next day if deposited after a certain hour. Are you going to mail or take in your passport?

Lobogris and Linux,
Congratulations!!! That is awesome......

The laborious wait is over after the "Labor day" weekend..... Glad that the "Missing Green Pen" is back in action....

I think it is the confusion with the server living in a different timezone..... A few other signatures in the past point to this same theory...

Let us hope for some more signatures to be printed soon.....

Keep us posted on the next steps and progress as well

Good luck....