OCI - Washington DC Tracker

For those who have already mailed US passports for stamping and waiting....

1. Go to ups site and do track by reference.
2. enter "oci" (without quotes) as Shipment Reference.
3. Adjust ship date range as necessory
4. Select "United States" as Destination Country
5. Enter your zip code

This will show all oci packages mailed from embassy to that zip in the selected date range. Hopefully one of those is yours :)

Hi GC2USC,

I am glad that finally your cases have made progress. I am in the process of applying for SC and OCI together. Since you have done that recently and your case has made progress, could you please post in detail what you included in your SC application and what you included in the OCI application. Did you send them together in one packet to OCI cell?

Thanks in advance. I may ask more stupid questions in order to please the folks in the DC office :)

Shayam

Guys - I cannot believe I made such a dumb mistake..

When I sent my package the very 1st time way back in April. I had jotted down the Registration numbers on my desk calender.
After that since I had been checking my status online 3/4 times daily, I had memorized all the 4 Reg. numbers.

Over the week-end, I just pulled out the envelope which had copies of the documents I had sent. Just our of curiousity I thought
of re-checking the Registration numbers and I found out that I had made a mistake.

The registration numbers I had written down were - USAW12345678 /679 /680 /681
Whereas they were actually USAWI not USAW (1).
Since the I was not crossed at the top and bottom - if you look at it in a hurry it looks like 1.
Secondly the prefix of USAW makes sense with W standing for Washington DC.

I checked my status today with the correct Reg. numbers and 3 / 4 of the applications were
ACKNOWLEDGED on 6/14/10 and all formalities completed on 7/1/10.
The 4th application was acknowledged on 7/1/10 - I have no idea what caused the delay
for the 4th application. I will be sending the 3 passports on Monday 7 /12/10.

I wanted to share this with all of you - so that nobody else makes the same mistake I made.

5. Enter your zip code

This will show all oci packages mailed from embassy to that zip in the selected date range. Hopefully one of those is yours :)

Veekey, Thanks for sharing this info. Atleast there is something to go by, instead of just anixiously playing the waiting game.

Date application ack'd :07-May-2010 (Indian PP sent a/w application)
Documents received at Washington : 27-May-2010
US Passport received at Washington : 01-Jun-2010 (Sent through Fedex)

Please help me here, I didn't get my USA pp and cnacelled Ind pp so far. Now it is more 1.5 months.
I sent couple of emails asking for status, no reply. Can anyone on the same boat?
Note: I have not sent $20 for renunciation as I have sent my Ind PP a/w application. Can it be the reason?

Please help me here, I didn't get my USA pp and cnacelled Ind pp so far. Now it is more 1.5 months.
I sent couple of emails asking for status, no reply. Can anyone on the same boat?
Note: I have not sent $20 for renunciation as I have sent my Ind PP a/w application. Can it be the reason?

Its high time you need to get in touch with them, no matter you should have received your passports back by now. Keep emailing them day and night, and call them as much as you can .... or else go personally if you can, to get things taken care of ... 1.5 months is just too much. Any reason would not delay it by 1.5 months and they should communicate with you if there is a problem.

I am suspecting as others have seen on this forum/thread, that they might have misplaced your passports or sent your passports to someone else and probably trying to recover it or might have mailed your passports back to Embassy address and hence its just sitting somewhere without anybody's attention ... just past experiences of the people on this thread.

Get in touch with them ASAP.

BTW, I received my passports on 8th business day (after they received my US PPT) earlier this month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Use the following trick posted by veekay to verify if it was mailed or not

5. Enter your zip code

This will show all oci packages mailed from embassy to that zip in the selected date range. Hopefully one of those is yours

Hi GC2USC,

I am glad that finally your cases have made progress. I am in the process of applying for SC and OCI together. Since you have done that recently and your case has made progress, could you please post in detail what you included in your SC application and what you included in the OCI application. Did you send them together in one packet to OCI cell?

Thanks in advance. I may ask more stupid questions in order to please the folks in the DC office :)

Shayam

Thanks Shayam.

Regarding set of documents. I had started this process in Late April at that time the SC was not required. This is what I had send:

1- Part A & B - completed in 2 sets
2- Two Pictures pasted and 2 pictures in envelopes.
3- Notorized copies of US Passport.
4- Orginal Indian passport and self attested copies.
5- Cashier's check for 275 for each applicant plus 20.00 mailing fee (for family)

In the meantime there was some rules changes and my package came back, I had to send additional 175.00 for each applicant plus Notorized copies of Naturalization certificates.

It came back the second time, rules had changes again, I cancelled the 175.00 Money order and made
new MO for 20.00 for each applicant.

These rules keep changing, so I would strongly recommend that you check on the website what is their current requirements and proceed accordingly.

Friends - I got the UPS package this morning with OCI on the passport and OCI book. Indian passports have been stamped Cancelled acquired OCI.
I had send the passports on Monday 7/12 and I got them back today 7/16. I think that was pretty quick.
Now I am waiting for the 4th application to get processed and I will be done.

Good Luck to all of you who are next in line.

1.5 months is a very long time, as Sam suggested, you need to call them. I would suggest you keep trying their phone lines,
you may get thru, send them emails and if possible visit personally.

Friends - I got the UPS package this morning with OCI on the passport and OCI book. Indian passports have been stamped Cancelled acquired OCI.
I had send the passports on Monday 7/12 and I got them back today 7/16. I think that was pretty quick.
Now I am waiting for the 4th application to get processed and I will be done.

Good Luck to all of you who are next in line.

Dude, congrats ... 4th application will be done soon too ... :) enjoy the independence a true one today :)

Starting Jun 1st they said that everything needs to be mailed by UPS only. U said that u sent by Fedex. I am not sure if this is got anything to do with you 1.5 month waut. As others are saying 1.5 months after passport being sent says that something is not right or ur package misplaced. Please keep trying or go in person and get it over with. Goog Luck.

I sent my US passport by Fedex earlier this month, I received them back ... I am not sure it should have anything to do with the delay.

They do have this UPS thing in this paragraph and I am surprised that its even there ... how can they limit incoming mail careers, this is ridiculous on their part if they are trying to do it...

Jurisdiction of Embassy of India, Washington, DC

1. Applications for OCI are accepted only from residents of the following States and Territories: Delaware, Washington, D.C., Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and the Bahamas. Proof of residence (copy of driving license or utility bill or bank statement) should accompany the application. Applications will be accepted only through UPS mail.

More info from the website:

# Dispatch: After seeing the online status : Documents Received at Washington on -------- (date will be shown), send your Original US Passport for OCI stamping. Please write "OCI Dispatch" on the envelope and quote your " File No.". It takes about 20 working days to dispatch Us passport from the date of receipt of US passport in our office. Please refrain from making queries before stipulated time.

In any case the passport should've been mailed by 20 working days, and its been more than that.

Hi GC2USC,
Thanks for the updates on your steps. Couple of items I need your help with...

1- Part A & B - completed in 2 sets
Did you save the application as PDF or print them directly to printer? If you printed on paper then typing answers to PART-B would have been a hassle...... wondering how you handled it..
I presume you signed both the copies in ink and did not make a copy of the first set.

3- Notorized copies of US Passport.
Did you notarize all pages of the US passport copy or just the page with the name and details?

Thanks,
V!!

More info from the website:

# Dispatch: After seeing the online status : Documents Received at Washington on -------- (date will be shown), send your Original US Passport for OCI stamping. Please write "OCI Dispatch" on the envelope and quote your " File No.". It takes about 20 working days to dispatch Us passport from the date of receipt of US passport in our office. Please refrain from making queries before stipulated time.

In any case the passport should've been mailed by 20 working days, and its been more than that.

Sam

if it is a family packet, we should be writing all file numbers in the envelope right?