OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I sent them an email yesterday, but no response.
I just hope her appl gets updated when its time to send the US passports or else it will have to be a trip to DC !

Did you include filled in renunciation of Indian citizenship forms also along with OCI forms, original Indian PP and $20? Will appreciate your reply. Thanks.

RC66

RC66,

I did not send the renuciation form - but I would suggest you check the website before sending your documents, because they keep changing almost everyday.

OK, Just validated the status on my MOs
They both are cashed on June 4th 2010
for $295 and $175

New rule came into effect on June 1st, and they cashed the old fees, that tells me that they are going to issue a refund of the difference ... no action from my side, until I get my OCI in hand though :)

OK, Just validated the status on my MOs
They both are cashed on June 4th 2010
for $295 and $175

New rule came into effect on June 1st, and they cashed the old fees, that tells me that they are going to issue a refund of the difference ... no action from my side, until I get my OCI in hand though :)

The key here is applications processed after June 1, 2010 and naturalization obtained before June 1. Their defense will be that your application was processed before June 1, but encashed after June 1.

a question for those who applied for OCI for minors in their family, could you please clarify how much the fee is for minors? is it 275 or 145?

this paragraph from the emb website is a bit confusing: Application fee: Cashier check/Postal Order of $ 275 (two hundred and seventy five only) per new application and $145 for each MINOR PIO Card holder and $25 for each adult PIO Card holder

a question for those who applied for OCI for minors in their family, could you please clarify how much the fee is for minors? is it 275 or 145?

this paragraph from the emb website is a bit confusing: Application fee: Cashier check/Postal Order of $ 275 (two hundred and seventy five only) per new application and $145 for each MINOR PIO Card holder and $25 for each adult PIO Card holder

OCI fee for minors is same as that for adults - $275. If minor has PIO, then fees to convert to OCI is $145. If an adult PIO holder wants to convert to OCI, then fees are $25.

My status changed today morning as:

Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 10-JUN-2010

Looks like extra $175 are working like the usual bribe people give in India to get things done quickly:)) ---- I am totally anti-bribery kind of guy though.

congrats sam!
mine is still "under process" - it was scanned on the 8th. my wife's still not acknowledged.
both my kids have it granted, printed, not dispatched yet.
not sure how they process "the family" application. i was hoping all 4 will get processed together.
chola

My wife's application along with kids application was mailed on May 28th and received on 1st June as of today they didn't acknowledge, looks like they are taking revenge of letting them know that we fall under their conuslate and they have to reconsider the application for processing. It is costing us time, don't know how to deal with this crap and almost $1020 ($825 for 3 oci + $175 PP cancellation fee +20 maiing fee) is at stake, yesterday I sent mine, eager to see how that one goes.

Looking at Sam's processing speed, the biggest hurdle is the acknowledgement of the application rest of the process just flows along the way, I believe.

At 9.50 AM
Just got a call from my house, they sent the application back after holding for two weeks stating $175 dollars not required, send $20 instead. And also my wife read that they don't accept photo copies in the second set of documents they need to be notarized, Did you guys get two sets of notoraised copies or one set?

Last edited by a moderator:
VM, my friend, this is absolutely ridiculous of them to send the application back again ... as far as getting the 2 sets notarized, Yes, we all have done it. They want 2 ORIGINAL Sets not the photocopy of 1st set ...

Very bad, but like I told GC2USC before, I think this time you would end up saving some money due to these moron's incompetency in handling the processing in a way that will give them some positives and they can gain faith from Desi American people.

Thanks Sam for clarifying, I didn't knew that. I think earlier when they resend the application instead of marking reason #13 they marked reason # 12 which stated wrong jurisdiction

I think they would send back my application on the same basis, Should I generate new application for the whole family and send them as fresh case instead of two cases as I did before, what is your thought?

My wife's application along with kids application was mailed on May 28th and received on 1st June as of today they didn't acknowledge, looks like they are taking revenge of letting them know that we fall under their conuslate and they have to reconsider the application for processing. It is costing us time, don't know how to deal with this crap and almost $1020 ($825 for 3 oci + $175 PP cancellation fee +20 maiing fee) is at stake, yesterday I sent mine, eager to see how that one goes.

Looking at Sam's processing speed, the biggest hurdle is the acknowledgement of the application rest of the process just flows along the way, I believe.

At 9.50 AM
Just got a call from my house, they sent the application back after holding for two weeks stating $175 dollars not required, send $20 instead. And also my wife read that they don't accept photo copies in the second set of documents they need to be notarized, Did you guys get two sets of notoraised copies or one set?
VM,

I have been thru this and can understand your frustation, but if you dont have any immediate travel plans, look at it as a blessing in disguise since you will be saving a lot of $$.

My status changed today morning as:

Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 10-JUN-2010

Looks like extra $175 are working like the usual bribe people give in India to get things done quickly:)) ---- I am totally anti-bribery kind of guy though.

Congrats Sam, Yes you have a lot of weight on your file ($155)

VM, Keep the same case # and send it along with a strong letter this time which must state how you feel and that they should contact you via phone or email if they need anything rather than sending you back the entire package. This is what I wrote in my cover letter:

"I would like to request you that if you should need any further documentation, please contact me at <email / Mobile #> with the requirements and I should be able to comply with the same rather than sending the entire package back. That will save us a lot of time and money to mail this big bunch of documents back and forth."

Talk about your ordeal with the incorrect reasoning second time around, and tell them they should've mentioned this requirement correctly 1st time around when they sent your application back. Request them for the quick processing and for the priority in the process due to the time that was lost due to their inability to verify the application 1st time correctly and their FEE structure blunder ... you are not at fault, I am sure.

Be strong write a letter, express your frustration. Thats what I did.

GC2USC - Yes, they will realize how far I will go to get back my hard earned money once they issue my OCI ;-)

Yeah Sam, I will write a letter, man this process completely frustated me. If they would have said all the missing thing even in the first return I would have arranged every thing, this was the third time it came back and every time with different reason almost a month is lost since I started.

GC2USC - Money would have come back one day or later, first time when I applied I thought the OCI would be delivered before end of june but till mid of june the process didn't start. Look at them they always send me in UPS next day air which might be costing them so much for which they are not going to get re-imbursed from me - still they don't care.

The other thing the notarized don't come free for me, my bank refused to do notary so I have to run to AAA to get it done they charge $4 per signature and there are 10 plus in one set for whole family. Now I will wait for my application to come back so I can get all notarized and send them back in one set.

VM1214,
If you have a chase account or chase credit card Chase will do notarize free if you have Chase in your area. Someone at your work might be notary usually big companies have a notary. Give it a try..

how long does it typically take for the embassy to ack the application? my app was delivered yesterday afternoon and the onlien status reads: This case is not yet acknowledged by Mission
thanks!