OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I just don't understand why the embassy takes only a week to send back some passports and never for others. My passport was received at the embassy on 2/25/10 but i still haven't received it. I have travel plans to go out of the country next Friday. Today I applied for new US passport and now the Indian embassy is saying they might not issue an Indian tourist visa on my new US passport because i don't have my old Indian passport with me anymore (it was submitted with the oci application). This is ridiculous that new US passport is issued in a day, but Indian embassy said that they might not give me a visa to the country that I was born in.
This clearly tells us why we became US citizens and gave up our Indian citizenship happily...

I don't quite understand from your post(s) which passport you are referring to....is it your US passport or latest Indian passport that you sent for cancellation? Why did you apply for new US passport today?? could you please post your time line??

Cheers,
speedy

Yup - I was surprised too.

Congratulation Compuser ……..How you received US PP (USPS, FedEx or UPS)?

Rahi

My OCI information......... US passport sent to DC
03/16/10: Scanned
03/17/10: Granted
03/18/10: Printed
03/19/10: Dispatched from Delhi
03/24/10: Received at Washington
03/24/10: Mailed US Passports to Washington
03/25/10: Passports received at Washington
xx/xx/10: OCI?

I have the same timeline still waiting for passport with OCI
I checked my USPS mail box,no passport yet,so how do they send the PP (USPS, FedEx or UPS)?

03/24/10: Mailed US Passports to Wash
03/25/10: Passports recd. at Wash

xx/xx/10 : OCI Recd! ???

Last edited by a moderator:
It was sent UPS Next Day Air - Looks like UPS actually made an attempt to deliver on 28th (Sunday) - we didn't realize there was a note on front door about attempted delivery while we were out.

Hello all,
I sent a stamped USPS envelope (not UPS envelope) along with my original US passport on 3/25/2010 and delivered to D.C 3/26/2010. I had also sent a $20 mailing fee along with my application. Not sure the consulate will use my stamped USPS envelope or use the mailing fee.

I assume that USPS envelope is not a problem, right?

It was sent UPS Next Day Air - Looks like UPS actually made an attempt to deliver on 28th (Sunday) - we didn't realize there was a note on front door about attempted delivery while we were out.

Man you seem to be so special to UPS and Indian Embassy....I tried to do a simple cost and time calc for a delivery in same zip as the consulate and here is what it said...delivers on Monday...Is there anyone else with Sunday delivery attempt or a delivery on monday ?

UPS Next Day Air® 6:30 P.M.
Saturday
March 13, 2010
10:30 A.M.,
Monday
March 15, 2010 19.40 USD*

Man you seem to be so special to UPS and Indian Embassy....I tried to do a simple cost and time calc for a delivery in same zip as the consulate and here is what it said...delivers on Monday...Is there anyone else with Sunday delivery attempt or a delivery on monday ?

UPS Next Day Air® 6:30 P.M.
Saturday
March 13, 2010
10:30 A.M.,
Monday
March 15, 2010 19.40 USD*

Likely not that special :) After I went home yesterday, my wife said they were sticking that note as she opened the door - so may be the dude just wrote the wrong date. Either way - still pretty good turnaround time I would say....

Compuser ,

Can you clarify did you send a pre-paid UPS Next Day Air self addressed return evelope which Indian embassy used to return your stamped documents or was that sent as part of 20$ fee by embassy to mail you through UPS ?

Compuser ,

Can you clarify did you send a pre-paid UPS Next Day Air self addressed return evelope which Indian embassy used to return your stamped documents or was that sent as part of 20$ fee by embassy to mail you through UPS ?

I did not send any pre-paid envelop. I included the $20 fee in the money order I sent (1 money order for 2 app fees + $20). When I saw the status updated as "Docs. recd. in DC." - I printed that online status page for me and my wife and also included a cover letter mentioning that I had included $20 fee already. Embassy chose what service to use I guess.

Thanks Compuser for your responses.
Nice to have someone login to this forum even after receipt of OCI documents/stamping and actively responding to queries

Update on my OCI app...

Posted application on 2/22
Ack on 3/17
Photo/Signature Scanned On 25-MAR-2010
Registration Status Granted On 31-MAR-2010

Update on my OCI app...

Posted application on 2/22
Ack on 3/17
Photo/Signature Scanned On 25-MAR-2010
Registration Status Granted On 31-MAR-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 31-MAR-2010

Mailed OCI applications and documents --- Feb 16, 2010
Delivered at Embassy of India, Washington DC --- Feb 19, 2010
Acknowledgement Date - Mar 17, 2010
Registration Status --- GRANTED on Mar 31, 2010
Photo/Signature - SCANNED on Mar 24, 2010
Documents Printing Status --- PRINTED on Mar 31, 2010
Documents Dispatched --- NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received At --- Washington --- NOT YET

Apart from compuser ,has anyone recieved the OCI docs/stamped PP back this week ?
The fact that one of the forum user "alwaysinhurry" never recieved back his PP/OCI [sent PP for OCI stamping in Feb last week] scares me

Atlast my son's OCI process is over,today got the UPS package with OCI and US PP
Now he is all set for India trip in April

02/08/10 : Mailed to Washington
02/09/10 : Reached Washington.
03/03/10: Acknowledged
03/10/10: Scanned
03/16/10: Granted
03/17/10: Printed
03/19/10: Dispatched from Delhi
03/24/10: Recd @ Wash.
03/24/10: Mailed US Passports to Wash
03/25/10: Passports recd. at Wash
03/31/10 : OCI Recd via UPS

Good luck to all of you who are currently in some stage or other

Should be back for my daughters misc OCI service soon as her passport expires next year and depending on how strict they enforce OCI stamping on newly issued PP !!!

Last edited by a moderator: