OCI - Washington DC Tracker

On another note, I did not send my original Indian PP with my application, I only sent them a notarized copy of the pp.
You can send the Indian PP aling with the US PP, after the OCI is recd in DC by the embassy.
Hope this helps!

The website indicated you needed to send the original app.. Assume both are fine as there is not a defined practice listed anywhere...

coyne,
If you see the website little more carefully, there is also a section that talks about sending copies of India PP, if it cannot be sent along with the appliaction.
good luck!

Today I see some movement , I found that photos were scanned on 03/10/2010....

OCI applicant tracking
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
02/08/10 : Mailed to Washington
02/09/10 : Reached Washington.
03/03/10: Acknowledged
03/10/10: Scanned
xx/xx/10: Granted ???
xx/xx/10: Printed ???
xx/xx/10: Dispatched from Delhi ???
xx/xx/10: Recd @ Wash.: ???
xx/xx/10: Mailed US Passports to Wash ???
xx/xx/10: Passports recd. at Wash ???
xx/xx/10 : OCI Recd!

I exactly have the same timelines..but no change in status..still acknowledged... at least they are doing something. Looks like they are implementing a strategy to generate more money, by forcing people to go in for Visa.
Today I see some movement , I found that photos were scanned on 03/10/2010....

OCI applicant tracking
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCANNING DONE.

MY APPLICATION was acknowledged on March 3rd.
Scanning completed on March 10th. ....OK... good ...there is some progressssss.

Gee24

01/23/10 : Mailed to Wash.
03/03/10: Acknowledged (WOW)

xx/xx/10: Recd @ Wash.: Mailed US Passports to Wash ???
Last edited by Gee24; 3rd March 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks I have good news. Seems like somebody came back from vacation in the Embassy. My Application jumped 3 steps in last 3 days:

01/19/10 : Mailed to Washington
01/22/10 : Reached Washington.
02/22/10: Acknowledged
03/09/10: Scanned
03/11/10: Granted
03/12/10: Printed

Well, mine still sits in "Scanned" status for the past 2 days.

Gee24: we have the same scanned date, let me know whenever your status changes to "Printed".

I sent my package yesterday the Embassy for my family(2 Adults and 2 minors).

OCI sent: 03/14/2010
OCI Acknowledged: ?
OCI Scanned: ?
OCI Printed: ?
OCI Recd in DC: ?
OCI Recd by me: ?

Gee24:
We have the same scanned date. As of now, mine is still under "Scanned" status. Let me know if yours moves to "Granted" status.

SCANNING DONE.

MY APPLICATION was acknowledged on March 3rd.
Scanning completed on March 10th. ....OK... good ...there is some progressssss.

Gee24

03/03/10: Acknowledged (WOW)

Last edited by Gee24; 3rd March 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Same with me scanned on 03/10 still on same status.I assume they are doing batch processing so may be this week we can see some movement !!!!

Hello

Hello,
I am getting ready to send in my OCI application. However, I seem to be running into speed-breakers trying to get all the documentation together:mad: Is it me or did you guys too feel sad....cutting down so many trees?

I apologize if these questions have been asked before....but want to confirm like every other desi turned amrikan:D

1) 2x2 photos from CVS - is that ok?
2) 1 check for $845 (my precious hard earned money:( ) for a family OCI of 3 people ($275x3 + $20 for mailing) - is this correct amount ??
3) Better to take a cashier's check or MO (which one is cheaper)?
4) Send the Indian PP's along with the application (or) send later if and when OCI is granted?
5) Do I need to put mine and my wife's US passport copies with the 2 sets of child's documents (these are in addition to the child related documents)?

Thanks,
Speedy

Hello,
I am getting ready to send in my OCI application. However, I seem to be running into speed-breakers trying to get all the documentation together:mad: Is it me or did you guys too feel sad....cutting down so many trees?

I apologize if these questions have been asked before....but want to confirm like every other desi turned amrikan:D

1) 2x2 photos from CVS - is that ok?
2) 1 check for $845 (my precious hard earned money:( ) for a family OCI of 3 people ($275x3 + $20 for mailing) - is this correct amount ??
3) Better to take a cashier's check or MO (which one is cheaper)?
4) Send the Indian PP's along with the application (or) send later if and when OCI is granted?
5) Do I need to put mine and my wife's US passport copies with the 2 sets of child's documents (these are in addition to the child related documents)?

Thanks,
Speedy

Hi Speedy: Welcome to OCI forum.
I give below my response to your questions.

1) As long as it complies with the requirement mentioned, it should be OK.
I did not do in CVS........so I have no comments on this.
However I have one comment to make to save some dollars. I took the initial 2 photos through AAA club as I am a member. Using those pictures, I made 8 more color copies in Kinkos (Sony copying machine........and Kinkos do have a cutting machine to size it for passport size).
This saved me at least 15 more dollars on photos. just fyi.

2) I think you are OK by sending just one $20 for entire family postage expenses. I did the same way.

3) I took the Cashiers check in Bank of America. The teller at the counter has discretion to waive...............and she did this for me... though there is a fee.
4) Per my understanding of the instructions, we need to send the Indian PPs along with the initial application (NOT THE AMERICAN PP). I made copies of the first page of PPs........just for my records/reference.
5) US passport should be sent only after the approved documents were received back in Washington DC (from Delhi) and not now. I don't have an answer to the question regarding kid's stuff, as my kid is a major and he did independently for his OCI.

Hope this helps.
Good luck for early processing.
I am just another applicant like you....pls use discretion.

Gee24

Hi Speedy: Welcome to OCI forum.
I give below my response to your questions.

1) As long as it complies with the requirement mentioned, it should be OK.
I did not do in CVS........so I have no comments on this.
However I have one comment to make to save some dollars. I took the initial 2 photos through AAA club as I am a member. Using those pictures, I made 8 more color copies in Kinkos (Sony copying machine........and Kinkos do have a cutting machine to size it for passport size).
This saved me at least 15 more dollars on photos. just fyi.

2) I think you are OK by sending just one $20 for entire family postage expenses. I did the same way.

3) I took the Cashiers check in Bank of America. The teller at the counter has discretion to waive...............and she did this for me... though there is a fee.
4) Per my understanding of the instructions, we need to send the Indian PPs along with the initial application (NOT THE AMERICAN PP). I made copies of the first page of PPs........just for my records/reference.
5) US passport should be sent only after the approved documents were received back in Washington DC (from Delhi) and not now. I don't have an answer to the question regarding kid's stuff, as my kid is a major and he did independently for his OCI.

Hope this helps.
Good luck for early processing.
I am just another applicant like you....pls use discretion.

Gee24

Hello Gee,

Thanks for your clarifications. I got my pictures at CVS. It looks like they keep the previous photos in their system for a long time (don't know how long). But they keep under your name. So, cvs next to my house had all our photos (mine, my wife's and my son's) that we took a while ago for our US pps. This time around for printing they are considered "re-prints". Hence they charged only 20 cents a photo. I got a bunch for like 3 - 4 bucks.

Anyways, I have few more questions:

1. What format to give the parent's names (ex: Amit Bachpan & Jaya Bachpan or Bachpan Amit & Bachpan Jaya)?
Reason for asking this is for the applicant, they are asking the "surname" first and then the given name.
Should the same format be followed for while providing the parents or does it not matter?

2. What do I put for item#9: place of issue for US PP??
If I try to key in "DEPT OF STATE USA", the form cuts off the "SA" in the "USA". Should I take out the spaces??

3. Item#14: Whether PIO card holder question, I chose "no". However, when the form printed, it still shows
"yes/no[if yes, give details]" followed by a 2x2 table for PIO information. Why does it print all that when I said no?
Should I simply strike off the "yes" portion of "yes/no[if yes, give details]" and put "N/A" in the table?

4. Item#22 in partB: How many family member's (living in India) details can/should I mention? Are these primary applicant's only? or primary and spouse or doesn't matter??

5. I paste 1 photo in form A and enclose 2 additional in a separate envelope (per applicant). Is that correct? any more photos anywhere?

Thanks,
Speedy

Hello Gee,

Thanks for your clarifications. I got my pictures at CVS. It looks like they keep the previous photos in their system for a long time (don't know how long). But they keep under your name. So, cvs next to my house had all our photos (mine, my wife's and my son's) that we took a while ago for our US pps. This time around for printing they are considered "re-prints". Hence they charged only 20 cents a photo. I got a bunch for like 3 - 4 bucks.

Anyways, I have few more questions:

1. What format to give the parent's names (ex: Amit Bachpan & Jaya Bachpan or Bachpan Amit & Bachpan Jaya)?
Reason for asking this is for the applicant, they are asking the "surname" first and then the given name.
Should the same format be followed for while providing the parents or does it not matter?

2. What do I put for item#9: place of issue for US PP??
If I try to key in "DEPT OF STATE USA", the form cuts off the "SA" in the "USA". Should I take out the spaces??

3. Item#14: Whether PIO card holder question, I chose "no". However, when the form printed, it still shows
"yes/no[if yes, give details]" followed by a 2x2 table for PIO information. Why does it print all that when I said no?
Should I simply strike off the "yes" portion of "yes/no[if yes, give details]" and put "N/A" in the table?

4. Item#22 in partB: How many family member's (living in India) details can/should I mention? Are these primary applicant's only? or primary and spouse or doesn't matter??

5. I paste 1 photo in form A and enclose 2 additional in a separate envelope (per applicant). Is that correct? any more photos anywhere?

Thanks,
Speedy

HERE ARE MY RESPONSE........
PLEASE USE DISCRETION...............(MY OCI APPLICATION IS STILL PENDING..........SO I WON'T SAY THAT I DID A PERFECT JOB OF FILLING UP).

However:

1. I used the format AMITABH BACHAN (meaning 'first name' first and the 'Last name' second)..........This is how My dad's name appeared on the last page of my Indian Passport.

2. My Passport was issued in DC (I used to live there).... So I filled in Washington, Disctrict of Columbia. (I believe it pops up as a drop down when you fill in in the soft copy... I am not sure)

3. We never had a PIO card. So my answer was a NO. If your print out prints a different one, I would suggest to correct it using the Black in pen and initial it for the updates.

4. I gave 4 cities I normally visit Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai and Chennia.... where I have relatives. I did n't care as much as you do while filling up..... as this was a sickening process. So I just filled in some thing.

5. I guess thats what I did too.....

Again, I am just another APPLICANT.... some times I OVERDO...........and some times I miss.
On completing the application, I let my wife do the Proof reading...to ensure that mistakes are corrected.
Please use your discretion.

Good Luck
Gee24

My OCI information.........
03/16/10: Scanned
xx/xx/10: Granted
xx/xx/10: Printed
xx/xx/10: Dispatched from Delhi?
xx/xx/10: Received at Washington?
xx/xx/10: Mailed US Passports to Washington?
xx/xx/10: Passports recd. at Washington?
xx/xx/10 : OCI????????????

Some more movement
03/16/10: Granted

Reached the next stage

Done with "Granted" milestone.
AND "PRINTED" ON MARCH 17TH (Attn: Hitraj, Rahi_02 and Whiteone)

Gee24

03/16/10: Granted
03/17/10: Printed
03/19/10: Dispatched from Delhi