OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I applied on Nov 3rd and my application was returned yesterday due to issues with fees. I had per instructions on the Embassy website included $140 for OCI card for a PIO card holder under age of 18. But it seems the fee was changed at some point to $145.

Did anyone else experience the same problem?

It was $145 since they revised it from $25 on Sept 16. Not sure where you got the $140 from. Somebody on this board a few weeks ago had also mentioned $140 and I had corrected and responded stating it was $145.

Sorry Guys! I have been a little late in posting my time line but my entire process at DC embassy was completed without any complications in 6 weeks (time frame included 2 long weekends and a major snowstorm delay across DC) :).

Nov 16, 2009 Application Delivered in DC:
Dec 4, 2009 Acknowledged
Dec 9, 2009 Granted
Dec 10, 2009 Dispatched from Delhi
Dec 18, 2009 Received in DC
Dec 18, 2009 US Passport Mailed
Dec 23, 2009 Reached DC Embassy
Dec 30, 2009 Received Stamped PP, OCI Book & Canceled Indian Passport

Thanks richmondva,
-------------------------------------------------------

Looks like things have improved a bit. See my timeline.
Hopefully mine should be done with in a month from now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Done

Completed OCI processing. I got my OCI Card, US Passport and cancelled Indian passport today.

Application Mailed 04-DEC-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 23-DEC-2009
Documents Dispatched From Delhi 31-DEC-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON 06-JAN-2010
Mailed US Passport 06-JAN-2010
OCI Received 20-JAN-2010

Congratulations NJOY_SCUBA!
I am waiting for my documents to be recd. at embassy.
Did you send a cover letter along with the US passports?

Completed OCI processing. I got my OCI Card, US Passport and cancelled Indian passport today.

Application Mailed 04-DEC-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 23-DEC-2009
Documents Dispatched From Delhi 31-DEC-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON 06-JAN-2010
Mailed US Passport 06-JAN-2010
OCI Received 20-JAN-2010

cpzinga:

thanks.

I did send a simple 1 page cover letter stating the obvious and requesting them to return my canceled Indian passport along with US passport and OCI card. I also included a print out of the online status.

Thanks NJOY_SCUBA.
I too did the same.

cpzinga:

thanks.

I did send a simple 1 page cover letter stating the obvious and requesting them to return my canceled Indian passport along with US passport and OCI card. I also included a print out of the online status.

Hi Cpzinga,
I sent my OCI appliction Jan 7th, 2010. I did not receive any ack from the embassy so far.
How did you get your acknowledgement? Did you check online or was it soemthing the embassy sends you?
I tried to check mine online, but it says nothing about my app. There are 2 items on the enquiry screen File(Acknowledgment) and Online Registration number. The number that I had on my application, is it the first one or the second?

Thanks
Vinod

Vinod,

The number you have is the second one - "Online Registration No". It should be something like 'USAWI11xxxxx'. When your application gets acknowleged, you will get a file number too.
Your application should be acknowledged from within 2-3 weeks (as per mine and some others recently). So you may be able to see the status update either this week or next week. Keep checking the status daily (morning and evening).

QUICK QUESTION IN FILLING UP THE FORM FOR OCI:

I NEED TO SUBMIT PART A AND B FOR ME AND MY WIFE.

PART A HAS PROVISION FOR FILLING UP FOR SELF AND SPOUSE, IF WE CHOOSE THE OPTION "FAMILY"

DO WE NEED TO SUBMIT ONE PART A (WITH THE DETAILS OF SPOUSE ON IT) ALONG WITH ANOTHER COPY ?
OR
DO WE NEED TO SUBMIT 2 SETS OF PART A (ONE FOR ME AND ONE MORE FOR THE SPOUSE) AND ADD ANOTHER 2 COPIES?

QUESTION IS :
-- WHEN WE FILE PART A/B AS A 'FAMILY', HOW MANY FORMS NEED TO BE SUBMITTED (ONE FOR ME AND ONE FOR SPOUSE) AND A DUPLICATE ?

Thanks for the inputs in advance.
Gee24

Last edited by a moderator:
QUICK QUESTION IN FILLING UP THE FORM FOR OCI:

I NEED TO SUBMIT PART A AND B FOR ME AND MY WIFE.

PART A HAS PROVISION FOR FILLING UP FOR SELF AND SPOUSE, IF WE CHOOSE THE OPTION "FAMILY"

DO WE NEED TO SUBMIT ONE PART A (WITH THE DETAILS OF SPOUSE ON IT) ALONG WITH ANOTHER COPY ?
OR
DO WE NEED TO SUBMIT 2 SETS OF PART A (ONE FOR ME AND ONE MORE FOR THE SPOUSE) AND ADD ANOTHER 2 COPIES?

Thanks for the inputs in advance.
Gee24

I haven't used the family option but my advise is to treat it like two separate applications. Two sets of Part A and B and supporting documents for each applicant. A extra copy never hurts.

You need to submit two sets of everything:

Set 1:

Your part A
Your supporting documents
Spouse part A
Spouse supporting documents
Part B (one per family/common for all)

Set 2:
Same as above

Also you need to send one check for fees (you + spouse + mailing charges), photos as required, original indian passports etc. Read instructions clearly.

Set 2 is not a xerox copy of the first one, i.e., both the sets are independent. you need to sign in original on both the sets.

I have received my OCI cards and passports and the process is complete. It took 39 days from the date I had sent my application to receiving of OCI card.
All the best to everyone!

i have received my oci cards and passports and the process is complete. It took 39 days from the date i had sent my application to receiving of oci card.
All the best to everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS.

That was super fast ..........in just 39 days.
I HAVE MAILED MY OCI ON 24TH OF JAN TO WASHINGTON.
Hopefully, it does n't take too long.

Enjoy
gee24

Gee24,

Thanks and all the best for your application.
Your application should be acknowledged in another week to 10 days.
Keep checking the status using your online reg. number.

Gee24,

Thanks and all the best for your application.
Your application should be acknowledged in another week to 10 days.
Keep checking the status using your online reg. number.

QUICK QUESTION TO YOU CPZINGA:
Please clarify when you get a chance.
When we mail the American Passports to the Embassy, is there any form that we need to fill in ?
OR you just send a cover letter mentioning the fact of 'reaching the approval stage'

Thanks,
Gee23

When your status changes to "Documents Received at Washington DC Embassy" (after granted), send the US Passport, online status printout and a cover letter that mentions the application number, and requesting for the OCI card and VISA, passports to be sent to your current address. We need to give the current address to which all the documents would be sent.
Also if you haven't sent the return envelop or $20 dollars fee towards mailing with your application, you need to send it now. Since we would be sending US passports, better send it using FEDEX or other services that provides tracking and delivery confirmation.

when your status changes to "documents received at washington dc embassy" (after granted), send the us passport, online status printout and a cover letter that mentions the application number, and requesting for the oci card and visa, passports to be sent to your current address. We need to give the current address to which all the documents would be sent.
Also if you haven't sent the return envelop or $20 dollars fee towards mailing with your application, you need to send it now. Since we would be sending us passports, better send it using fedex or other services that provides tracking and delivery confirmation.

THANKS CPZINGA.

You have a great week end.

Gee24