OCI - Washington DC Tracker

OCI processing Done

I received the OCIs, canceled PIO and canceled Indian Passports. The whole process took @ 10 weeks from start to finish including a fees increase for PIO applicants. Glad it's over with and wish everyone else going through the Indian Embassy a lot of patience! The wild-card is getting the application acknowledged, rest is normally clockwork.

Another interesting observation -- I stuck photos on application copies and put an extra set in an envelope -- the envelope was returned with the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the statement Rama Bashyam made about SF Consulate is very true. I had to renew my India Passport back in 2003 when I was in Sacramento, CA and they were very prompt and professional. In fact, their boss at the time Mr Suresh Sharma actually called me personally because he had grown up in Haryana and he is a very nice professional man. I lost touch with him but he signed my renewed passport and sent it to me right away.

NOW....fast forward to 2009, I am a US citizen and live in Tennessee and so have to apply to Washington DC Embassy. So far, after atleast a DOZEN ATTEMPTS I have not even been able to chat to the idiots in the Embassy. All the big talk about INDIA SHINING and INDIA RISING and they still run their embassy with the DONT CARE attitude. Mention to them Customer Service and they will respond WTF is that !!

Indian Passport Renewal experince

I applied to renew my Passport on September 15, 2009. Indian Embassy website says it will take 2 to 4 week. Today November 25, 2009 no news of Passport. I made several call to Indian Embassy in Washington DC but nobody picking up my call. Two week before I could not even leave message because the mail box was full. And the answering system anouced " Sorry you can't leave message as the mail is full now".

This is just to let informed my fellow Indian be prepared for the worst nightmare and pain, if you ever have to deal with Indian Embassy Washington DC.

I will keep posting updated infromation what next.

Namaste and Regards

thanks for all the responses. the cheapest bastards are the people who represent India in Indian embassy DC. They don't have any decency and it's our sin to seek the assistance of such ruth less uncultured animals

My wife today went to Indian embassy to check the status and they did not even update their website that the stinking place is going to be closed today(11/27/2009). She mentioned so many people like her who have visa appointments just returned with frustration and anger

Regards

thanks for all the responses. the cheapest bastards are the people who represent India in Indian embassy DC. They don't have any decency and it's our sin to seek the assistance of such ruth less uncultured animals

My wife today went to Indian embassy to check the status and they did not even update their website that the stinking place is going to be closed today(11/27/2009). She mentioned so many people like her who have visa appointments just returned with frustration and anger

Regards

This is uncalled for.

If you have lived in US long enough, you know the day after thanksgiving is a holiday - except for the retailers. You should double-check. I see on their website as of now a notification in RED that they will be closed. I am sure they did not put this up in the last few hours. I know you are upset with the delay, but I would not have risked going today if I were in the same situation.

This is uncalled for.

If you have lived in US long enough, you know the day after thanksgiving is a holiday - except for the retailers. You should double-check. I see on their website as of now a notification in RED that they will be closed. I am sure they did not put this up in the last few hours. I know you are upset with the delay, but I would not have risked going today if I were in the same situation.

I can say the same thing to you. If you lived long enuff' in US, you will not say that day after thanksgiving is a *definite* holiday. FYI, all the government offices were open on 11/27 and it waS NOT a US government holiday! For crying out loud, even the stock market was open until 1 PM EST.

The big problem is that no one at the embassy picks up the phone and you can't get any info on whether they are closed or the status of your application or whatever the situation is... Can you freakin' believe that their mailboxes are full and you can't even leave a message? How pathetic is that? Btw, don't even get me started on their websites... It's so outdated that you never know how stale the posted info is!

Bottom line is that the folks in Indian Embassy don't care as there is NO accountability and it always starts at the top. That's how the system is and gotta live with it. What other choice do we have other than vent in forums like this and feel a little better when you find out that you are not alone?

I will repeat the following in my defense...

...the cheapest bastards are the people who represent India in Indian embassy DC. They don't have any decency and it's our sin to seek the assistance of such ruth less uncultured animals

Finally We got the passports today. It's a nightmare. Yesterday I sent them almost 10 faxes with font size 20 "DEATH IN THE FAMILY" and the rest of the matter . Some how one of the clowns at the embassy called my wife and told her that passports have been sent with in a week after they received. That's big BS. She again called them and some how she got hold of some one and she insisted , that she needs the exact date and the matter is very urgent for us to make trip to India. Then that begger told her that he will call her back. He did and mentioned that passports are in the embassy. bastards......

Today she went picked them up...

I hope and pray god that , this will not happen to the fellow citizens and definitely all our curses will some how and some day be effective on those scoundrels

Regards

Indian Passport Cancellation

All,

I am about to send OCI package to the embassy. Since I already got my Indian passport cancelled when I applied for an Indian visa, I won't have to mail the Indian passport, would I ?

As for the photocopies of the Indian passport, do I have send the first 2 and the last 2 pages or copy of the entire passport.

Thank You

All,

I am about to send OCI package to the embassy. Since I already got my Indian passport cancelled when I applied for an Indian visa, I won't have to mail the Indian passport, would I ?

As for the photocopies of the Indian passport, do I have send the first 2 and the last 2 pages or copy of the entire passport.

Thank You

No, you don't need to send your Indian passport, but send first 2 and last 2 pages. also, send your US passport when the OCI documents are received at US embassy.

All,

Thank You

But why would you send any passport with the application. Do not send the original passports (US or India) until the OCI documents are received back at consulate.

But why would you send any passport with the application. Do not send the original passports (US or India) until the OCI documents are received back at consulate.

Washington DC embassy requires that the Indian passport be sent in original at the time of application itself. Not sure what should be done if the passport has already been canceled though. I suppose he can just send copies along with a note that passport has already been canceled. If they need it they will contact you.

I concur with Sanjose on the usage of language in some of the posts here. It is completely uncalled for. I don't recall reading any such posts when the H1 or Green card applications were delayed or documentation lost by USCIS. Not to forget the ordeal that most of us had to go through even to get US Visas stamped on our passports the first time. You delayed the passport sending by over 3 weeks (for your own case) and it was not OK for the embassy to have any delays? They are humans and somehow it got misplaced but eventually they took note of the urgency and at least send it back to you. Not sure if your 10 faxes to USCIS would have given you your green card within a couple of days!

Again no offense meant but concerns and frustrations can easily be conveyed in a more decent manner.

Washington DC embassy requires that the Indian passport be sent in original at the time of application itself. Not sure what should be done if the passport has already been canceled though. I suppose he can just send copies along with a note that passport has already been canceled. If they need it they will contact you.

Sorry, I did not know that. I do not know why they can't use same process through and through - especially within the same country (US).

It sounds like a good outsourcing opportunity for Travisa - I am sure they can handle all data entry, document validation in 3 days time, and above all consistency at a cost of not more than 10-20 USD. And I am sure people will be willing to pay extra money if they had SLAs (timelines) associated with the service - but in reality even the extra money should not be required because the embassies supposedly have someone doing this job and they will not require to pay this salary if they outsource.

Sorry, I did not know that. I do not know why they can't use same process through and through - especially within the same country (US).

It sounds like a good outsourcing opportunity for Travisa - I am sure they can handle all data entry, document validation in 3 days time, and above all consistency at a cost of not more than 10-20 USD. And I am sure people will be willing to pay extra money if they had SLAs (timelines) associated with the service - but in reality even the extra money should not be required because the embassies supposedly have someone doing this job and they will not require to pay this salary if they outsource.

I agree there needs to be more consistency in the procedures. Although from Indian government's point of view perhaps it makes more sense to get the passport canceled by renouncing the Indian citizenship before granting OCI. Hence sending the passport with the application is the more likely outcome and a better one from India's point of view.

Outsourcing could be a good option for the embassy but I am not sure if there is enough consistent volume of OCI applications at one center that would make it lucrative for an outsourcing company (unless perhaps they combine OCI operations of all consulates/embassies in the US) but that would mean combining cost centers of all into one which could be a major decision/policy change. Apparently the load of staff at the DC embassy varies considerably from time to time as there are VIP's visiting all the time and the preparations actually holds them up significantly (especially the not so rushed areas such as OCI and PIO since they cannot have delays in VISA and passport services). The DC embassy has its advantages but also some disadvantages in comparison to consulates that have a somewhat of a more predictable work load.

Which number to call for Washington, DC

I am trying to call the embassy to see as to when they woul cancel and return my indian passport.

I had sent it seperately on 11/18.

Any thoughts, anyone ? Please.

Did you send anything else with the passports?
I mean OCI/PIO application OR any form?

Generally - Washington embassy staff is not cooperative. They don't answer the calls, you may get them on phone after 10 attempts or so.. I am not sure if they will give you a correct answer when you call...

Wait for a week and visit them personally if you don't get anything by then..

I am trying to call the embassy to see as to when they woul cancel and return my indian passport.

I had sent it seperately on 11/18.

Any thoughts, anyone ? Please.

I just sent in my Indian Passport alone with a Renounciation form along with a letter stating that i want to cancel my Indian Passport as i became a US Citizen along with a self addressed envelope.

Ok, i will wait two more weeks if not i may have to fax them or send them a certified mail or something.

Thanks for your help.

I just sent in my Indian Passport alone with a Renounciation form along with a letter stating that i want to cancel my Indian Passport as i became a US Citizen along with a self addressed envelope.

Ok, i will wait two more weeks if not i may have to fax them or send them a certified mail or something.

Thanks for your help.

Did you send in a postage paid envelope or include a cashiers check for the return postage?