OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Great going USGC485!
I had sent my daughter's and my passport to DC embassy on Sep 22nd for OCI stamping via FedEx. I have attached a pre-paid FedEx return envelope as well. Till date I have not received the passports after stamping. I am afraid if mine is lost at the embassy. My return tracking # does not show that it had been mailed back. Anyone had experienced this kind of delay (3 weeks just for U-Sticker stamping)? See my timeline below.

-------------------
Date Of Acknowledgment 19-JUN-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 25-AUG-2009
Registration Status Granted On 27-AUG-2009
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printing On 28-AUG-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 31-AUG-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 17-SEP-2009
PASSPORT sent to DC for OCI sticker - 21-SEP-2209
PASSPORT Delivered at DC - 22-SEP-2209
PASSPORT Received with U - Sticker - ???

That's long time. You should have received them awhile ago. You should go to Indian Embassy in person and ask where your passports are. Contacting Indian Embassy via phone or email is useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
All 4 of our applications are showing acknowledgment date of Oct 17th (though today is Oct 16th) assume that's server time in IST.

The Registration Status is showing under process.

• App FedExed: Sept 16.
  • Acknowledgment Date: October 17

Incidentally, was able to check w/ either links:

http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp?

http://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

What is the next status --> Scanned?
Yes, you will see it in few weeks. but I wouldn't worry about it until I see the the status "granted" and "received at washington - date".

Good to know that you got acknowledgment date.

OCI Stamping Delay

Thanks for the reply. Friday, I managed to talked to a person in the OCI department at DC embassy. He said that they have no passports pending for 3 weeks. When I told him that I have proof of my passports delivered to the embassy on 09/22 and I have not got them back nor received any form of communication, he then asked me to wait until Monday (10/19) and if I did not receive my passports then advised me to send a email to the the oci cell with all the details and he will put on an investigation in to the matter.

I did not send the $20 return mailing fee with my passportsd and instead I sent a pre-paid return FedEx envelope. Would this have made a difference? Is my passports held up becuase they did not receive the proper fee?

Not sure where this going to lead me in to. I had sent an email to the embassy 10 days ago and I did not reveive any response then. I am wondering what will happen with another email now. I live in Tennessee and if I go to the emabssy what difference it would make? What are my options/rights now to get the issue resolved? Is there any escalation or complaints process? I am hesitant to contact the state dept because the first thing they do is to cancel the passports.

Thanks for the reply. Friday, I managed to talked to a person in the OCI department at DC embassy. He said that they have no passports pending for 3 weeks. When I told him that I have proof of my passports delivered to the embassy on 09/22 and I have not got them back nor received any form of communication, he then asked me to wait until Monday (10/19) and if I did not receive my passports then advised me to send a email to the the oci cell with all the details and he will put on an investigation in to the matter.

I did not send the $20 return mailing fee with my passportsd and instead I sent a pre-paid return FedEx envelope. Would this have made a difference? Is my passports held up becuase they did not receive the proper fee?

Not sure where this going to lead me in to. I had sent an email to the embassy 10 days ago and I did not reveive any response then. I am wondering what will happen with another email now. I live in Tennessee and if I go to the emabssy what difference it would make? What are my options/rights now to get the issue resolved? Is there any escalation or complaints process? I am hesitant to contact the state dept because the first thing they do is to cancel the passports.

They are not doing a good job with responding to your message (email or call) and organizing everything. I know there are very small number of embassy employees at the Indian embassy. Only the best thing is to contact them in person. but you are in Tennessee. I understand that it is difficult because if you go to the embassy and they tell you to come back later, it will be a waste of time for you. Unfortunately there are no escalation or complaints process. About prepaid FedEx envelope, I am not sure because I read the instruction is that they send them back to you via only USPS Express Mail, not FedEx. I know it should be fine. I sent my passports, cover letter and prepaid return US Express Mail envelope together via FedEx. Then I got them back in one package (US Express Mail). I suggest that you keep contacting them via email or phone and you might get a luck. Just wait until at the end of this month, then maybe go to DC and ask what is going on!

I encourage everyone to write to Prime Minister to improve the embassy's performance and OCI/PIO performance as we make him understand that we are here to help India like investment, business, etc. It would be shame if they don't listen to us and they would go backward.

OCI Stamping Delay

Thanks USGC485 for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to post eventhough you are practicaly done with this passport/OCI business and anxiety. Reponses and insights from fellow posters like you atleast gives a sense of "sharing the pain with someone" which reduces stress and gives hope to get some ideas.

I did read the OCI mailing instructions and after much thought I sent the fedex envelope after reading in the posts that some one did send fedex return envelope and got back the passports. Ironically on the day I was preparing to send my passport to the embassy, I had USPS messed up delivery of my wife's US passport coming from US passport office. USPS delivery tracking said the passport was delivered a few days ago but we did not get it in our mail box. After the post office promised me to do a search on it, I literally went door to door in my neighborhood and found it in one of the houses (the folks just came back from vacation and was planning to return the mail to the post office). Losing trust in the USPS I chose to send fedex which again turned out to be a further nighmare with the embassy itself and not with the courier (I know it could happen with any carrier, but I have to trust the company I work for any way) :)

I will email the Indain Embassy with all the details tomorrow and keep you all posted.

Thanks USGC485 for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to post eventhough you are practicaly done with this passport/OCI business and anxiety. Reponses and insights from fellow posters like you atleast gives a sense of "sharing the pain with someone" which reduces stress and gives hope to get some ideas.

I did read the OCI mailing instructions and after much thought I sent the fedex envelope after reading in the posts that some one did send fedex return envelope and got back the passports. Ironically on the day I was preparing to send my passport to the embassy, I had USPS messed up delivery of my wife's US passport coming from US passport office. USPS delivery tracking said the passport was delivered a few days ago but we did not get it in our mail box. After the post office promised me to do a search on it, I literally went door to door in my neighborhood and found it in one of the houses (the folks just came back from vacation and was planning to return the mail to the post office). Losing trust in the USPS I chose to send fedex which again turned out to be a further nighmare with the embassy itself and not with the courier (I know it could happen with any carrier, but I have to trust the company I work for any way) :)

I will email the Indain Embassy with all the details tomorrow and keep you all posted.

LOL. I know it is crazy. You are not alone. There are many victims. I hope you get your passports back.

Actually I was concerned when I read the instructions, "Do not go to the Indian embassy. You must mail it to get OCI. blah blah". I wonder why is that since non-Indian citizens usually go to get visas in person. I was really scared to send my passports to the Indian embassy, but I had courage to send it because I need OCI to travel to India to see my parents and relatives. I am glad that I got my passports back.

Keep me all posted. Good luck!

My status changed to Granted today, but my son's status is still 'under process'. I am starting to think that this could be due to the PIO fee difference.

My status changed to "Documents dispatched from Delhi" today. Can I go ahead and mail the passports, or should I wait until they reach DC?

Incidentally, my son's status is still stuck at "Scanned" and "Under Process". I am assuming that both the applications are now being tracked with mine, and will send both the passports when my documents reach DC. I believe SK72 was in a similar situation where his son's status never changed?

My status changed to "Documents dispatched from Delhi" today. Can I go ahead and mail the passports, or should I wait until they reach DC?

Incidentally, my son's status is still stuck at "Scanned" and "Under Process". I am assuming that both the applications are now being tracked with mine, and will send both the passports when my documents reach DC. I believe SK72 was in a similar situation where his son's status never changed?

You should wait until the documents are received at the DC. That's my personal opinion. If you send your passports now before documents are received, your passports will be kept at the embassy and will be not found later. Like I said in the other posts in this forum, they are not doing a good job with finding your passports or organizing or responding to caller's messages. If you send your son's passport (assuming it will make them changing the status), it won't change the status because the embassy doesn't control OCI paperwork. Only Delhi controls it. Embassy's purpose is to send application papers with copies of your passport to Delhi and receive a grant authorization to go ahead to stamp your passport and issue you a OCI. That's part of the process and that's what the embassy told me.

You are almost done. Your son's will be next. I am sure your son's status will be changed soon.

Staus changed to "Documents reached Washington on 23/10/09". I am getting ready to send our passports for stamping, and need a small clarification. I am going to send the $20 money order, and do I need to send the postage paid envelope in addition to that? Please let me know.

One thing I noticed today is that my application and my son's application has the same file acknowledgement number, and his status never changed after scanned. So I am assuming his application is tied to mine, and I am going to send his passport and PIO card along with mine.

You have to send either $20 MO/Cashier's Check or a self addressed stamped Express envelope.

Staus changed to "Documents reached Washington on 23/10/09". I am getting ready to send our passports for stamping, and need a small clarification. I am going to send the $20 money order, and do I need to send the postage paid envelope in addition to that? Please let me know.

Photo question

Hello everyone,

I have completed all the documents required for the OCI application and I am totally confused about this photo business. As per the Indian embassy washington office we need to send 2" by 2 " photos attached to the forms (count = 2) and one additional photo 2" by 2" (with signature in the back).

Is this correct assumption?. Since the part A of the form says 35 mm by 35 mm. Anyone who has recently applied and got the OCI approved please chime in and let me know the correct specifications.

P.S: I called the consulate number in DC multiple times and no one picks that phone ever!!!:mad:

Thanks
Rajesh

Hello everyone,

I have completed all the documents required for the OCI application and I am totally confused about this photo business. As per the Indian embassy washington office we need to send 2" by 2 " photos attached to the forms (count = 2) and one additional photo 2" by 2" (with signature in the back).

Is this correct assumption?. Since the part A of the form says 35 mm by 35 mm. Anyone who has recently applied and got the OCI approved please chime in and let me know the correct specifications.

I sent in exactly 35 X 35 and it was just scanned ( so I guess it was ok ), however the consensus is that this is the minimum size. If it is slightly bigger, they will not create an issue.

I had sent in my OCI applications early October.. I understand DC Embassy takes 50-60 days to even acknowledge the application..

Question.. For folks whose applications are now being acknowledged, when did you mail in the applications?

Mine was mailed on Sept 16 and acknowledged on Oct 17.

I had sent in my OCI applications early October.. I understand DC Embassy takes 50-60 days to even acknowledge the application..

Question.. For folks whose applications are now being acknowledged, when did you mail in the applications?

OCI Stamping Delay

Good News from me! I finally received both my Daughter's and my passports with OCI documents today in the same FedEx return envelope I sent 5 weeks ago. It took me several unanswered phone calls; one answered call stating that they don't have any passports pending that long and suggestion to send an email requesting to start an investigation. I sent the email a week ago with every details I had on my applications and passports. I did not receive any response to that either. But I received a notification last night from FedEx that I have an Inbound shipment with my tracking number of the return airbill and was delivered today. Boy! what an ordeal. But I am not done with the embassy yet. I have to start the OCI application for my wife next. Hope I have luck this time for a smooth processing. Thanks to USGC485 who was patient enough to respond to my earlier ranting posts.
I have updated my timeline and fixed the wrong year references.
------------------------------------------
Date Of Acknowledgment 19-JUN-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On 25-AUG-2009
Registration Status Granted On 27-AUG-2009
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printing On 28-AUG-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 31-AUG-2009
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 17-SEP-2009
PASSPORT sent to DC for OCI sticker - 21-SEP-2009
PASSPORT Delivered at DC - 22-SEP-2009
PASSPORT Received with U - Sticker - 28-OCT-2009 :)

Additional PIO Fee

I recd an email today that the OCI fees for PIO are now $140 so they are putting my OCI processing on hold.

Subsequently, I talked to the person handling OCI at the embassy who said that there is no option to return the appln, but to cough up the extra fees or let the application languish. He said that after scanning, they review the application for acceptance, if there's any missing docs or incorrect fees they hold it till it's rectified.

I recd an email today that the OCI fees for PIO are now $140 so they are putting my OCI processing on hold.

When did you complete your PART-A? I think I am on the same boat. I had completed PART-A on Aug 31 at which time the fee for PIO card holders was $25. It took me a while to collect all the documents and finally when I send in my application in Oct, I only send $25 for my son's PIO to OCI conversion. I still havent received my acknowledgment yet.

They don't believe in putting effective dates for fee changes in their announcements; but I recollect it was around mid-Sept. You can send the difference $115 by a new Cashier's Check with the Application Ref#, as I can't see any way out of this especially when you submitted the package in October!!

When did you complete your PART-A? I think I am on the same boat. I had completed PART-A on Aug 31 at which time the fee for PIO card holders was $25. It took me a while to collect all the documents and finally when I send in my application in Oct, I only send $25 for my son's PIO to OCI conversion. I still havent received my acknowledgment yet.