OCI - Washington DC Tracker

09Citizen,

First agin check with USPS that did they deliever your packet or not ? as this stupid washington dc ppl never care for anything and nobody will look at the note which usps leave there on saturday. If they deliever either monday or today...which tuesday then you have to wait atleast another 15 days for them to acknowledge....however, check everyday their system twice though may after 15 days the acknowledge file no. will show up...hopefully.

Thanks ZND. I think I am screwed. I just called USPS and they informed me that the redelivery can be arranged only by the recepient. So if they dont do that the package will be sent back to me after 15 days. I should have known better to not send it on a Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone..
Made a mistake while sending the application package. I forgot to note down the USAWI numbers .. Shredded the extra copies too :-( Any idea how to retrieve them? I'm trying to call/email the embassy.
I thought I saw a OCI only contact phone number, but i'm unable to locate it. can anyone post the number if you have it?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ZND. I think I am screwed. I just called USPS and they informed me that the redelivery can be arranged only by the recepient. So if they dont do that the package will be sent back to me after 15 days. I should have known better to not send it on a Friday.

I can't believe this. USPS left the notice on 8/14 and they still havent picked up the package or arranged for redelivery. Does anybody know their email address?

Thanks!

09Citizen,

I would suggests that better check with USPS your location office from where you sent your package and ask them how you can get back. I think there should be some days that if person not contacted then they will return back something like that need to ask usps. And then send it again on Monday..by priority mail flate rate. or fed ex whatever. but send on Monday....but my own experience this washington dc offfice is very late....Huston,Tx and california is faster...even their website is good enough than this stupid washington dc..

Why I am concern about to get back your pacakage because I know you must attached a moneyorder or casheirs check with it that's why don't loose it it's your money this stupid indian govt is only making money but they don't care for their citizens.

Thanks. I already cotacted USPS, but they said they will wait for 15 days for the package to be picked up, and then send it back to me if it is not picked up. So there is really not much I can do. I emailed the Embassy yesterday but received no response.

I hate to say this, but some things never change and the Indian government is one of them.

Why I am concern about to get back your pacakage because I know you must attached a moneyorder or casheirs check with it that's why don't loose it it's your money this stupid indian govt is only making money but they don't care for their citizens.

Try to contact Indian ambassador to USA in Washington DC to resolve the issue. If they want us (foreign citizens) to invest in India to improve the economy of India, he should focus on solving the problem of OCI process.

I wrote y'day to the email address mentioned in this thread. I guess 1 month round trip time is not bad in general, but its the lack of status information in timely fashion that bothers me. 3 weeks to know if they really got the package and if everything is ok or not ? That's a bit much.

Thanks. I already cotacted USPS, but they said they will wait for 15 days for the package to be picked up, and then send it back to me if it is not picked up. So there is really not much I can do. I emailed the Embassy yesterday but received no response.

I hate to say this, but some things never change and the Indian government is one of them.

No response to my email to Embassy. USPS status still says "Notice left".

Hope, you will get back your packet from USPS ASAP. Nothing we can do as just wait...because this is Indian Govt. !!!

Once you get back your documents....don't send ot on Friday nor with anything like this time they left notes....but send it through priority mail ...flate rate and that will reach ther after two days difinetly. and just add 0.70 more for tracking confirmation so you can check the status online through uspa.com. that's what we did. However, I am feeling so sad and guilty that why I should go for this stupid OCI....it's nothing only wasting money....now a days travisa out sourcing is doing business for visa....and their system very user friendly and perfect. I did not get my OCI which I applied since last three months and the time come to go India...I just wasted 1125.00 and now applied for regular visa which I needed...and spend another 500.00 more. I did not know that if you wanted to stay more than 6 months in India then apply for Entry visa not Tourist visa....as tourist visa is allowed you to stay onlt 180 days which means six months. When I called Travisa about visa and told them about this stupid OCI...they told us about this Entry visa...if I would know that before I would not spend 1125.00 and just go for Entry visa ...and is cheaper and faster and reliable.

Hope, you will get back your packet from USPS ASAP. Nothing we can do as just wait...because this is Indian Govt. !!!

Once you get back your documents....don't send ot on Friday nor with anything like this time they left notes....but send it through priority mail ...flate rate and that will reach ther after two days difinetly. and just add 0.70 more for tracking confirmation so you can check the status online through uspa.com. that's what we did. However, I am feeling so sad and guilty that why I should go for this stupid OCI....it's nothing only wasting money....now a days travisa out sourcing is doing business for visa....and their system very user friendly and perfect. I did not get my OCI which I applied since last three months and the time come to go India...I just wasted 1125.00 and now applied for regular visa which I needed...and spend another 500.00 more. I did not know that if you wanted to stay more than 6 months in India then apply for Entry visa not Tourist visa....as tourist visa is allowed you to stay onlt 180 days which means six months. When I called Travisa about visa and told them about this stupid OCI...they told us about this Entry visa...if I would know that before I would not spend 1125.00 and just go for Entry visa ...and is cheaper and faster and reliable.

ZND, That's what I did. I used Priority mail flat rate with delivery confirmation. I am not sure why the stupid USPS is not trying to deliver the package again. This time I"ll use Fedex next day delivery.

Break in OCI Process

All,

What happens if the applicants have to get their US passports back before the entire process has finished?

I am planning to send my OCI application and although I don't intend to travel until Dec, I wanted to understand how the process would restart if I had to get back my passports(assuming either emergency travel or OCI process taking way longer than 3 months?)

Thanks

All,

What happens if the applicants have to get their US passports back before the entire process has finished?

I am planning to send my OCI application and although I don't intend to travel until Dec, I wanted to understand how the process would restart if I had to get back my passports(assuming either emergency travel or OCI process taking way longer than 3 months?)

Thanks

If you need to travel urgently or whatever you need passports back, you can go to Indian embassy or consulate (where you are applying to) to request Indian passport back or request Indian visa immediately in order to travel urgently or for emergency.

Sometimes they don't take a phone call and they sit and are lazy like ZND said. So it would be better to go there and request. For unfinished OCI process, probably they will ask for your explanation and you can always ask to finish the OCI process.

But the question is why you need to send your passport with your application ? You don't need to only copy and once it's granted then only you need to send your original all passport ..Indian...US...and the best part of this precious Indian govt. is not working on their OCI process ....don't waste time and money...I applied on May 27th,2009 and still there is nothing on it...and now I am leaving to India after two weeks....I did not send my passport with my OCI application when I applied ...so last week I send to Travisa Visa outsourcing and today I received my regular visa....after 6 days and Travisa is really very good and their system is so well..and very usesr friendly....the first time this is a good experience for getting Indian visa....and according to their timeframe and promise they do the work....because basically this Travisa Outsourcing is run by an American company....Indian govt. should give this OCI dept. to this Travisa guy....if india really wanted to improve their economy....then more people will apply for OCI than visa to this Travisa outsourcing....!!! my own experience. Because if people wanted to spend money than they need a good services. Indian govt. still don't know the customer service approach, the system how to get the work done by their employee....their employee is having a real good fun in US without working and only sitting in Indian embassy....taking Indian holidays and US holidays...!!! :mad::confused::cool::p:eek:

Unbelievable...I am still seeing this message. Never mail it on a Friday...:mad:

Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:24 AM on August 15, 2009 in WASHINGTON, DC 20008 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, go to www.usps.com/redelivery, or call 800-ASK-USPS to arrange for redelivery. If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Unbelievable...I am still seeing this message. Never mail it on a Friday...:mad:

Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:24 AM on August 15, 2009 in WASHINGTON, DC 20008 and a notice was left. You may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice, go to www.usps.com/redelivery, or call 800-ASK-USPS to arrange for redelivery. If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

I suggest you to go to the USPS and ask for status of the delivery. USPS probably doesn't update the status on the system. Next time I suggest you to use FedEx when you are ready to mail your passports if OCI status is granted.

I don't know what is going on at the Indian Embassy. I am still waiting for my status of OCI. (I see "Under process"), but I see other consulates process OCI applications very fast like less than one month. Hopefully it will be done before Sept 7 since my acknowledgment date is Aug 7. I know the instruction says 3 months (processing time), but online instructions (inquiry status website) said within 30 days.

USGC485,

You are absolutely right that other embassy is much faster than this stupid washington dc. My acknowledgement date is June 13th,2009 and still the status is under process....don't know what the hell here washington dc ppl are doing ......:mad::mad::mad:

USGC485,

You are absolutely right that other embassy is much faster than this stupid washington dc. My acknowledgement date is June 13th,2009 and still the status is under process....don't know what the hell here washington dc ppl are doing ......:mad::mad::mad:

oh, your application would have been done before July 13. Did you try to go to the embassy?

Is it possible to abandon OCI application that I submitted to the Washington DC embassy so I can submit applications to the other consulate where I can use my sister's address? My sister and her husband already got their OCI approvals. She submitted her OCI application on July 7th and got an approval in less than one month.

Just curious. We all are planning to go India this January for my parent's 50th anniversary.

That's a very interesting thought USGC485.

What rule dictates the necessity to mail the app to a particular consulate?