OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Completed my OCI journey today, with Passports/OCI Booklet at home today for me and the spouse. Less than two months (almost) of total processing.......

Mailed to Washington DC on: May 27th, 2008
Date Of Acknowledgment: June 10th, 2008
Photo/Signature Scanned: July 3rd, 2008
Registration Status Granted: July 9th, 2008
Documents Printed: July 9th, 2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: July 11th, 2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON: July 17th, 2008
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC: July 18th, 2008
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) received home: July 25th, 2008

Spicyrice, I am very sorry to hear about the mail issue in your apartment. My passports were received today so do track yours as they are sent by the Embassy using the Express Mail package with the tracking number. Embassy is helpful and should be able to let you know the status (if already picked up or not). Really hoping that it works in your favor... do keep us posted.

Koolvik - Congratulations on becoming Citizen of India again :D

Is there a Govt of Indida website I have to go to, to monitor the updates? Just mailed in my apps. What next from here? how do I keep an eye on my app? Appreciate your input. scroll

Koolvik - Congratulations on becoming Citizen of India again :D

Is there a Govt of Indida website I have to go to, to monitor the updates? Just mailed in my apps. What next from here? how do I keep an eye on my app? Appreciate your input. scroll

The link for online status updates is http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp - you'll need your online registration no. I am not sure how long it's taking for applications submitted to DC embassy to be acknowledged - may be you'll start seeing updates in 2 weeks or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Scroll and welcome to the OCI thread. Keep on checking the OCI Link provided by akgarg and you should see the ACK of your application in about 2 weeks after mailing it to the Embassy.... Good Luck :)

Application Status:

Applied on line 06/10/2008
Mailed application to Washington DC 06/23/2008
File Acknowledged : 07/03/2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 07/28/2008
Registration Status Granted On 08/02/2008
Documents Printed On 08/05/2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 08/06/2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON ?

Passport update: This is getting completely ridiculous. Last week, I emailed the OCI office in Washington on Friday, as they had told me to do. They replied that they would mail my passport on Monday.

Now, I live in Arlington, Virginia, where the mail doesn't take more than a day to get here from DC, even if it's just regular first-class mail. So I assumed I would get the passport on Tuesday. I didn't.

I emailed the OCI office again today, and asked whether my passport had been mailed, and also asked for a tracking number. I was told that it was mailed yesterday, but that they didn't have a tracking number. However, I still haven't received it, so I don't think they mailed it yesterday, either. If they mailed it, why can't they give me a tracking number?

They have had my passport since July 18th, and I am at a loss as to what to do. For $295, I expect better service than this!

Application Status:

Applied on line 06/10/2008
Mailed application to Washington DC 06/23/2008
File Acknowledged : 07/03/2008
Photo/Signature Scanned On 07/28/2008
Registration Status Granted On 08/02/2008
Documents Printed On 08/05/2008
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 08/06/2008
Documents Received at WASHINGTON ?

After mailing the Application, How were you updated about File Acknowledgement?

Thanks,

Scroll/atloci2008,

Can we all keep posted on the progress of our OCI applcations as we all have applied almost the same time

Have applied on 24th July ,yet to get acknowledged!!

Just checked my status and got acknowledged today 08/07/2008

OCI Timelines:
Mailed to Washington DC on: July 24th, 2008
Recieved at consulate(USPS track) :July 25th, 2008

Date Of Acknowledgment: 08/07/2008
Photo/Signature Scanned: xx
Registration Status Granted: UnderProcess
Documents Printed: xx
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: xx
Documents Received at WASHINGTON: xx
Passport (US/Indian) mailed to DC: xx
Passports (US/Cancellled Indian/OCI Booklet) received home: xx

I mailed my application on 22nd July & got delivered on 23rd July 2008 at DC office but still not acknowledged. Now I am worried what could be the reason.

Going by the timelines,it takes 2 weeks from date of reciept to acknowledge
I would suggest you wait for 2-3 days to reflect the updated status

For me I sent on 24th/25 and I got acknowledged today only(08/07)

Hitarj ji, I know and that's why I got worried as mine is sent before you & still not acknowledged. Anyway I called them & left the message & see if they return my call, otherwise have no option other than waiting, but my concern is I need to fly india in 2nd week of Oct.

Going by the timelines,it takes 2 weeks from date of reciept to acknowledge
I would suggest you wait for 2-3 days to reflect the updated status

For me I sent on 24th/25 and I got acknowledged today only(08/07)

No I didn't send email. I just called them and luckily someone picked up the phone. When I told me the person whose is received later in your office than mine & is acknowledged today while mine not, he said wait for this week and if it does not get acknowledged next week give him a call. He said may be the person whose received later & is acknowledged earlier may have told some urgency.

I will wait until Monday evening & if it's not acknowledged by then then will give call & email them.

I hope I don't have to do that.

Thanks hitraj ji for the email address and wishing that each step of your process is done quickly.

Did you try emailing also ?

ociwashington@indiagov.org

Hitarj ji, I know and that's why I got worried as mine is sent before you & still not acknowledged. Anyway I called them & left the message & see if they return my call, otherwise have no option other than waiting, but my concern is I need to fly india in 2nd week of Oct.

From the time lines I am seeing these days, your process should complete well in time before you fly. Applications probably get batched over a few days, so they may not be acknowledged in a strictly day-to-day order. You should be seeing yours acknowledged very soon.

Thanks AKGARG ji. aapke munh mein ghee shakkar. I hope you turns out to be right.

From the time lines I am seeing these days, your process should complete well in time before you fly. Applications probably get batched over a few days, so they may not be acknowledged in a strictly day-to-day order. You should be seeing yours acknowledged very soon.

Scroll/atloci2008,

Can we all keep posted on the progress of our OCI applcations as we all have applied almost the same time

Have applied on 24th July ,yet to get acknowledged!!

sure.. mine is not acknowledged yet..

At long last, I got my OCI certificate and visa! It looks like the embassy postmarked the envelope on August 5th, but did not actually mail it until August 6th (date handwritten on the Express Mail label), so I got it yesterday. Here's my timeline:

20 May 08: OCI application mailed to Washington embassy
24 May 08: Received letter requesting copies of parents' Indian passports
27 May 08: Submitted letter explaining that I don't have my parents' Indian passports (they gave them up more than 30 years ago), and submitted an affidavit of my father's birth instead
07 Jun 08: Acknowledged
03 Jul 08: Photo/Signature Scanned
09 Jul 08: Registration Status Granted; Documents Printed
11 Jul 08: Documents dispatched from Delhi
17 Jul 08: Documents received in Washington; mailed U.S. passport to embassy
18 Jul 08: Passport received at embassy
06 Aug 08: Passport & OCI Certificate/ Visa mailed from embassy
07 Aug 08: Received Passport & OCI Certificate/ Visa

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice on this board, and good luck with the OCI process!