OCI - Washington DC Tracker

yes!

Yes, I had included $15 for return mail (suppose to be express I thought :mad: ). Anyways, I will send email soon in a day or two if I don't get it. There is no concept of EXPRESS MAIL there :D

Do you think its the postal Rates?

The Embassy of India website has this notice:

USPS postage rates are revised from May 14, 2007. All applicants are advised to ensure that the correct postage stamp is used. We regret that we cannot dispatch mails without correct stamps as it will not be accepted by USPS.

I am planning to go to the embassy personnally on Monday. PM me if you want me to ask them the status.

Good point!

The Embassy of India website has this notice:

USPS postage rates are revised from May 14, 2007. All applicants are advised to ensure that the correct postage stamp is used. We regret that we cannot dispatch mails without correct stamps as it will not be accepted by USPS.

I am planning to go to the embassy personnally on Monday. PM me if you want me to ask them the status.

You know I was thinking the same thing but when I started thinking one more time, I realized that they recd. my passport about 9 days before the rate change, so they are obligated to use $15 which I had sent earlier with fee, on top of that they also mention applicants which tells me that it's for new applicants only but you never know!

I will wait till Saturday and if I don't get it then probably send them email and if I do not get any reply then I will go to embassy too.

Thanks for the offer though...appreciate it.

Good luck...

DID your status change to documents recd. at embassy so far??

Day 11 and waiting

My Status still shows "Not Yet" . I am hoping it changes in a day or two. I agree that you sent your passports before the postal hike so that should ntp be a problem. I hope the embassy thinks so too.

Received at Washington

Date Of Acknowledgment 19-APR-2007
Registration Status Granted On 03-MAY-2007
Photo/Signature Scanned 03-MAY-2007
Documents Printed On 04-MAY-2007
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 05-MAY-2007
Documents Received at WASHINGTON 18-MAY-2007

I will got to the embassy on Monday and let update here.

Date Of Acknowledgment 19-APR-2007
Photo/Signature Scanned 03-MAY-2007

I will got to the embassy on Monday and let update here.

If Possible we may meet there as I am planning to visit DC in person atleast
to submit my passport.

Received to DC

My Time Line:
Sent: 03/19/2007
Ack'd: 04/10/2007
Photo/Signature Scanned On 30-APRIL-2007
Documents Printing Status On 04-MAY-2007
US & IND PPs Rchd to DC: 21-MAY-2007 with Postage-Paid Envlp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope

Not yet....

And not reply from embassy about the email that I sent yesterday!

I am getting a little worried now.

Thanks for asking.

Not yet....

Thanks for asking.

I beleive DC office personal works on OCI issues only on a very limited basis,
( becos all those apps have recd today irrespective of the ship date ). I beleive
if u do not receive yr passport by Monday or tuesday, I would suggest u make
visit to embassy in person.

End Of The Journey

Not yet....

Thanks for asking.

Finally I got a priority mail envelope in the mail today which is obviously less than what I paid for (15 - 5.25) but no one bothered to get the signature etc.... (I am not sure if it is available with Priority Mail.) Anyways, the good news is I am finally DONE!

Good luck to all those who are waiting.

I will try and keep answering the questions for new applicants as much as I can but unfortunately Washington has very random approvals/ time lines at each stage!

:)

my docs were also received on 18th may.
I am also planning to go to embassy on monday.

good luck to everyone.

Scenario at Indian Embassy: VS. What should be..

I went to the embassy in wash. on monday. It's funny the way they work there..
I went there took number..?.. and asked her that here is my indian passport for cancellation, and here US passports for OCI stickers.
she asked me if I am sure that I got approved..
and I said the status says "DOCS RECEIVED AT WASHINGTON" (the final step of the process).
Like this was not clear enough..she said, since she is not sure they have the docs ready, I should check back..(If I tell her status says " DOCS RECEIVED AT WASHINGTON" where in the world the question of docs not being ready come from?)
I said I want these passports mailed to me (I didnot feel comfortable to come back HERE)..
Now she asks me, have you paid for postage?
i said " yes, when I applied I paid $15.00 for that."
Now she says " I know the postage is increased.."
I replied "I paid the postage as per the instructions when I applied"
(I mean 3 x $275.00 + $ 15.00, how can they even worry about postage after us paying this amount...)
Then I said "do I get a receipt for the fact that, You guys have my Passports??(In my mind.."since you are not sure about things regarding my docs..)
She said No, there is no receipt..you get your passports in maill..

What It should be like...

1. How how are you, How can I help you today?
2. I am fine, I am stopping by to get Oci stickers in my passports..
3. Can I have your passports and ACK file nos please?
4. sure, hand the passports and nos.
5. representative, checks the ACk no in computer, and tells me
"yup, it says docs. are here.."
6. I say "OH GOOD.."
7. REP. "do you want to wait for your passports or you want them mailed?"
8. Can you mail those to me?
9. sure you should get those within 5-7 business days...let me verify your mailing address, and give you a ackno. for your passports..
10.she/he hands the receipt, and says.. "ok thanks, have a good day Mr.XXX)
11. thanks a lot.

Folks, they can make it better and more efficient, one of the officer there should have knowhow of how things normally works in US..( May be person living in US for long time, or person born in us..)
what you guys think of this...

despite all this..
I love my country..India..no doubt in mind..

Indian embassy VS IDEAL

my docs were also received on 18th may.
I am also planning to go to embassy on monday.

good luck to everyone.

Scenario at Indian Embassy: VS. What should be..

I went to the embassy in wash. on monday. It's funny the way they work there..
I went there took number..?.. and asked her that here is my indian passport for cancellation, and here US passports for OCI stickers.
she asked me if I am sure that I got approved..
and I said the status says "DOCS RECEIVED AT WASHINGTON" (the final step of the process).
Like this was not clear enough..she said, since she is not sure they have the docs ready, I should check back..(If I tell her status says " DOCS RECEIVED AT WASHINGTON" where in the world the question of docs not being ready come from?)
I said I want these passports mailed to me (I didnot feel comfortable to come back HERE)..
Now she asks me, have you paid for postage?
i said " yes, when I applied I paid $15.00 for that."
Now she says " I know the postage is increased.."
I replied "I paid the postage as per the instructions when I applied"
(I mean 3 x $275.00 + $ 15.00, how can they even worry about postage after us paying this amount...)
Then I said "do I get a receipt for the fact that, You guys have my Passports??(In my mind.."since you are not sure about things regarding my docs..)
She said No, there is no receipt..you get your passports in maill..

What It should be like...

1. How how are you, How can I help you today?
2. I am fine, I am stopping by to get Oci stickers in my passports..
3. Can I have your passports and ACK file nos please?
4. sure, hand the passports and nos.
5. representative, checks the ACk no in computer, and tells me
"yup, it says docs. are here.."
6. I say "OH GOOD.."
7. REP. "do you want to wait for your passports or you want them mailed?"
8. Can you mail those to me?
9. sure you should get those within 5-7 business days...let me verify your mailing address, and give you a ackno. for your passports..
10.she/he hands the receipt, and says.. "ok thanks, have a good day Mr.XXX)
11. thanks a lot.

Folks, they can make it better and more efficient, one of the officer there should have knowhow of how things normally works in US..( May be person living in US for long time, or person born in us..)
what you guys think of this...

despite all this..
I love my country..India..no doubt in mind..

Shoosman,

Any updates on getting back on your PPs?

nirav5508,

Have you paid that difference for expressmail? if not they will send in priority mail like 2bc.

Updates on Myside:
Initially I paid that $15 for postage, but while sending my PPs attached the prepaid enveolpe for tracking purpose. They received yesterday (signed by Mr. Vignesh Gaspal on 05/21/07).
I don't want to take risk just for $15.

I have not paid anything extra..It's just wait and watch game untill I go back there..(Not that I want to go there..)

Crossing my fingers..

good luck.

I am going to miss the place !

Hi All,

I got my OCI card and U visa stamp and also collected my cancelled passports today. I am somehow nostalgic that I may not have to go to the Indian embassy again. I will miss the camaraderie of the people waiting in line. The discussion of the Bombay Dabbawallas and how efficient their logistics is. The people in the embassy were busy and were working hard. They all seem to smile at OCI. I think they look at OCI as a good thing for India. ( maybe I was just happy and positive)

The only thing I would do different if I were to do it again:

a) Worry less about the whole process. :)
b) Not send my Indian passorts along with my application for cancellation.
c) Not stress about the photos.

Presenting the Passports

I went yesterday morning (same day as Nirav) I went there this morning. Reached at 9.20 and there were about 10 people ahead of me. I had the US passports with the web status printed in each one. The lady smiled when she saw it was a OCI then she saw the date and said " It only reached 2 days ago " . not sure what to make of that but she said "Come and collect it tomorrow between 4.30 and 5.30." I mentioned that I would like to collect my cancelled passports at the same time (I had sent them with the origianl application). She made a note on my OCI web status paper and asked me to check and ask for them when I came to collect the passports.

Key message : They are looking for some lead time after the passports arrive at DC.

Collecting the Passports:

Arrived at 4.30 P.m and saw a queue of about 20 to 30 people ahead of me. No one tells you this but there are 2 lines. Red tokens to the left and blue tokens to the right.(main window).

First attempt they said please with your OCI cards have not come. There were others who also had to wait for assorted documents like Birth certificate, Power of attorney etc. This went on for some time till there were only 3 people left ( 5.45 p.m) and then they looked at my token again and siad they were being prepared. Then a lady walked in smiling and gave me my passports. I asked her for the cancelled Indian passports and she asked me if i had submitted them with the application and went back inside to get the passports.

There were 3 people who collected their OCI . I was the only person who waited for the whole time.

Key Message : Go about a day later or atleast go by 5 p.m or 5.15 p.m so the wait is less if the OCI is not ready.

Timeline:

Posted passports to Embassy : March 28th
Acknowledged : April 19th
Photo/Signature Scanned On 03-MAY-2007
Documents Received at WASHINGTON On 18-MAY-2007
Presented passorts to emabssy - May 21st
U visa and cancelled passports collected - May 22nd.