OCI - Washington DC Tracker

RC66,
Congratulations on the successful OCI. These consulate folks never run out of ideas when it comes to torturing customers....
linuxrox: Going by the recent ordeals that people have been subjected to, do you think having the Indian PP cancelled is much more beneficial for any future reference? I think RC66 can request the embassy folks to "kindly use the rubber stamp to cancel the Indian PP" as they have already enjoyed the $20/applicant for this Herculean task. Holding on to that Cancelled PP is easier than preserving that Golden Plated "SC".
If DC is at driving distance for RC66, it is worth visiting them and explaining the whole drama. If he received the SC with necessary autographs, even more better.
If not, he should take the copies/stubs of the $20.00 payment and also proof of encashing from the Bank or Money order institution. If RC66 retained a copy of the SC related documents from his original submission, that would be helpful as well.

saramma and krajah,
You are almost there....Looks like about 6 to 8 weeks for an End-to-End OCI processing from your status.

One other weird snippet..... Did you track any timelines on when your $275.00 payment was processed by the consulate? Close to acknowledgement or even earlier?

Good luck to all of us,

Sent OCI Packets on Jul-20-2010
Received by DC on Jul-21-2010
Acknowledged :
Other steps :

Thanks, gc4us. Is it possible to get the info and proof from the bank if the Indian Embassy has encashed the cashier's check (it's not a personal check) I sent for cancellation of Indian PPs along with our OCI applications? If I can get it, I can go to the Embassy as I live nearby DC.

RC66

RC66

If it is a cashier's check from your bank, you can absolutely, positively get a copy of the encashed check or proof of negotiation.
If it is Bank Of Amercia, call the following number 1-888-217-4038. This is a direct number for cashier check inquiries.
All they will ask you is
1. The cashier check account number. You can find it in your cashier check stub.
2. The check number. This is also from the cashier check.

If it is some other bank, call their global customer service number and ask them how to track cashier checks.

If there is a branch nearby, walk-in and ask them about this and you should be able to get that..

Good luck

gc4us / linuxrox,
I mailed my US pp yesterday as I had to travel out of town. I will walk in to the Embassy if I don't get them back by end of next week.

If it is a cashier's check from your bank, you can absolutely, positively get a copy of the encashed check or proof of negotiation.
If it is Bank Of Amercia, call the following number 1-888-217-4038. This is a direct number for cashier check inquiries.
All they will ask you is
1. The cashier check account number. You can find it in your cashier check stub.
2. The check number. This is also from the cashier check.

If it is some other bank, call their global customer service number and ask them how to track cashier checks.

If there is a branch nearby, walk-in and ask them about this and you should be able to get that..

Good luck

Thanks, gc4us. I'll visit the local branch of my bank and try to get the proof.

RC66

Glad it was processed so quickly for you rvisvanath

7/21 - Mailed the OCI along with SC application form
7/22 - Received by the Consulate
No acknowledgement to date

Guess there's no rhyme or reason as to how they operate at the embassy. Some applications get processed immediately, some later and some get sent back.

Hi Pauwalla,

I hear you. Another piece of information (which should not make a difference, but for what its worth) is that I completed the online application around July 4th or so, but did not get to mailing the application as I was busy and did not have all the documentation at that time.

If they are processing according to the order of online application completion, my timeline may not apply completely..

I wish you all the best and hope that you will get the good news soon.

Totally plausible, rviswa. The factor that controls the order could be - when you registered for the first time!

Jan-MMII
Fascination with signing in green ink, all day and everyday: This is what Pushpa Kumar does all day (it must be 3 to 4 hours per day if not all day), she personally signs on all OCI cards and U-visas in green ink. Its hundreds of cards and visas every day (not to mention how many times they have to sign on copies they retain). As if the guys at arrival terminals in India can recognize her signature and find fake visas, what a waste, no country is doing that anymore, those are symbolic signatures which are machine printed and not hand written, but these Indian bureaucrats LOVE signing in green ink all day. Imagine half a dozen other morons running in her office to collect these green droppings for us, and Bajaj doing the same thing in another office. How about stopping this green ink signature nonsense and answering some phone calls, that must be 3 or 4 hours per day, enough time to answer every phone call. These guys will never change, its deliberate, its their way of protecting no-personal-risk, no-career-risk, once-joined-no-open-competition, no-accountability, out-of-touch-with-real-world life style that they are used to.
Last edited by Jan-MMII; 29th July 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Man - looks like the folks on this forum still are keeping thier sanity :) Poor NY folks ...

rvisvanath:

Thanks. According to the DC website, it takes 8 weeks for an OCI application to be 'acknowledged' online. I guess I have to just be patient for now and hope for the best.

I was out of town for a couple of days and just started checking the status - I was not expecting any updates for another week or so...

Looks like someone mixed some special energy mix in the DC office coffee machine (or maybe Delhi tea shops).......

Here is what I found today for my family...
All applied on Jul-20-2010 and received by DC on Jul-21-2010
All Acknowledged on Aug-05-2010
All Registration granted on Aug-10-2010

Self
Photo/Signature Scanned on Aug-06-2010
Photo/Signature Rejected on Aug-10-2010
Documents NOT Printed
Documents not dispatched to DC
Documents not received at DC

Spouse and Kid
Documents printed on Aug-10-2010

Someone looked at the packet and thought...... Hmmm..... 3 applicants in the family...... No fun if it has a fairy tale ending.... let us add some fun and reject the photo/signature......
If it had been Photo Rejected in a separate status line, it would have made it easier.... Some UI guru tried to compress the real estate and put a Photo/Signature in the same line...

For starters, I have emailed the DC office requesting them for information/help on how to address this issue. If anyone has gone through this before, please let me know. Should I reprint the Part-A with new photographs and signature?
Should I generate a new application for myself? That will confuse the hell out of everyone there, I am afraid...
Maybe reprint Part-A with photos, signature and also carry separate photos and go to DC...... I am in the DC suburbs close to Metro..

RC66,
Did you get any input from the banks?

Rajah and Viswanath,
Good luck with your final steps..

Linux,
If it goes with the current processing times, you should see an acknowledgement in another week.

Good luck,
V!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright - change in status!
My Timeline:
Applied for SC in person: July 26th
Picked up SC in person: July 29th
Despatched OCI packet: July 31st
Packet received in D.C (signed by P Anchula): August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 10th 2010. (regn status: under process)

gc4us - keep us posted how your saga unfolds!

linuxrox,
DC Embassy is beginning to rock..... yours is even better......

Here is another surprise..... Someone from the embassy replied to my email with a crisp note "please bring a new photo between 12-30 to 1 on any working day".
So, one more visit to our beloved shrine soon.

I printed 10 copies of the same photo and used 4 for my Entry Visa the week before and sent 5 with my OCI packet. One branch - DC office (Entry Visa) accepted, whereas the ones on the other side of the atlantic - Delhi (OCI Dept) rejected the photos.....

Not sure if they need the Part-A for any signature issues... I hope the person replying my email verified the status in some internal status page and gave me that instruction. I will take a printout of the email when visiting them.

I will keep the thread posted.....

Good luck to all,
V!!

More good news!

I will add to the good news about DC embassy. I had mailed SC with fees on July 26. Got it stamped with canceled passport today, August 10! I may be the first one on this forum to receive SC with mail submission! Now sending OCI paperwork tomorrow and hoping for the best :)

I was out of town for a couple of days and just started checking the status - I was not expected any updates for another week or so...

Looks like someone mixed some special energy mix in the DC office coffee machine (or maybe Delhi tea shops).......

Here is what I found today for my family...
All applied on Jul-20-2010 and received by DC on Jul-21-2010
All Acknowledged on Aug-05-2010
All Registration granted on Aug-10-2010

Self
Photo/Signature Rejected on Aug-10-2010
Documents NOT Printed

Spouse and Kid
Documents printed on Aug-10-2010

Someone looked at the packet and thought...... Hmmm..... 3 applicants in the family...... No fun if it has a fairy tale ending.... let us add some fun and reject the photo/signature......
If it had been Photo Rejected in a separate status line, it would have made it easier.... Some UI guru tried to compress the real estate and put a Photo/Signature in the same line...

For starters, I have emailed the DC office requesting them for information/help on how to address this issue. If anyone has gone through this before, please let me know. Should I reprint the Part-A with new photographs and signature?
Should I generate a new application for myself? That will confuse the hell out of everyone there, I am afraid...
Maybe reprint Part-A with photos, signature and also carry separate photos and go to DC...... I am in the DC suburbs close to Metro..

RC66,
Did you get any input from the banks?

Rajah and Viswanath,
Good luck with your final steps..

Linux,
If it goes with the current processing times, you should see an acknowledgement in another week.

Good luck,
V!

GC4US
Yeah, I got the proof of cashier's check from my bank. I sent an e.mail to the Embassy attaching the scanned copy of that proof. In reply, the Embassy told me to take our Indian passports on any working days between 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm and they'll put the 'Cancelled' stamp on our Indian passports.

Good luck with your OCI application.

RC66

I will add to the good news about DC embassy. I had mailed SC with fees on July 26. Got it stamped with canceled passport today, August 10! I may be the first one on this forum to receive SC with mail submission! Now sending OCI paperwork tomorrow and hoping for the best :)

I guess we are both first :) My timeline is exactly the same as yours July 26 mailed, recd at DC on July 28th, received SC and cancelled PP for me and spouse on August 10.!! I have prepared the OCI packet for about 4 times ( believe me everytime I prepared the website would show different rules 3 times after that) and have to prepare the paper work for OCI. I was slacking as I thought SC would take at least a months or 6 weeks but 2 weeks is light speed for DC!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Timeline:
Applied for SC in person: July 26th
Picked up SC in person: July 29th
Despatched OCI packet: July 31st
Packet received in D.C (signed by P Anchula): August 2nd
Acknowledged on OCI status website: August 10th 2010. (regn status: under process)
Photo/Signature: Scanned (Aug 11)