OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Date Of Ack

Can somebody please explain this Date ? I mailed my OCI App on Jan 10 and they received it on Jan 11. When and How do I know the Date of Ack ?

Check online status using your US passport number and Online registration number.

US born adult child applying for OCI

Another member suggested that I post my question here, in the SF Tracker thread, so here goes... Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I am the US born, adult child of a former Indian national (now US citizen). I'm applying for OCI independently. My father does not want OCI status. My father was Indian born, and immigrated to the US in 1958. I have his original Indian passport. My mother is not Indian. It's my understanding that although I am only half-Indian, I am still eligible for OCI. My Indian consulate is San Francisco.

My questions:

1. Do I have to send along a copy of my father's US passport as well as his Indian passport? It's my understanding that the reason for including my father's Indian passport is to show my eligibility for OCI, so I don't understand why I would also need to send his US passport, but #8(iii) of the required materials says: "Copy of US and Indian passport/OCI cards of both parents."

2. Given that I am not a minor and that my mother is not Indian (American with French ancestry), do I have to send along a copy of her US passport? Should I include a note explaining that my mother is not of Indian origin?

3. Item #11 of the required documents says: "Pl. provide two self-attested photocopies of the first two and last two pages and US visa page of the Indian passport (if OPTION A is chosen in Serial No. 8 above) or of documents listed in OPTION B (if OPTION B is chosen in S. N. 8)." Because I am US born, I will submit the documents in OPTION B of #8 -- that is, 2 photocopies of my birth certificate PLUS my father's Indian passport (and possibly his US passport). So, does this mean I just send along two additional self-attested copies of the documents required in OPTION B of item #8? That would mean I send an additional 4 copies of my self-attested birth certificate as well as two additional self-attested copies of my father's Indian passport. And, possibly, two additional self-attested copies of my father's US passport. Am I interpreting that correctly?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reading!

HI Auddaraj.

I think i am in the same boat as you. Did you get any update on your OCI status?

OCI is granted to me on jan 12
My OCi documents have been printed on jan 14 and dispached from Delhi on Jan 18 but have not been received at SF yet.

Thanks

Today my OCI online status changed, below are the details:

Mailed OCI App : Dec 14
Received at CGI SF : Dec 15
Date of Ack : Jan 12
Photo / Sig Scanned: Jan 12
Reg. Status Granted: Jan 12

Check online status using your US passport number and Online registration number.

I tried this but could not get any status on my case. I entered the Online Reg number and the Passport number. But what abt the "File (Acknowledgment) No" ? Do we get this number in mail from CGI ?

Hello D_Sidhu,

It looks like the applications are processing very fast. But I guess my case is an exception.

I had mailed the OCI application along with the application for Surrender Certificate on Dec16 (USPS mail), it was received at the consulate on Dec 17.
I have since not heard anything back. Does any one know the reason for the delay. I have not yet received the acknowledgement for my application.

I've send a few emails inquiring about the same but no response. I've to make an important trip to India in Feb (Feb13)and am worried that may be I won't have my application processed by then. I'm stuck.

I have following questions:

1. Did you apply the OCI and Surrender applications together in the same envelope. Or you already had the Certificate before applying the OCI application?
2. Can I go to the San Francisco office personally to get the update ,would that expedite the process or be a waste of time and efforts.

Please advise what would be my best option.
I am getting worried as there is no update on my application (almost five weeks have gone by since I mailed the applications).

Thanks,
-Dolly75

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,I'm exactly in the same boat as you are Valpriya. I had applied the OCI application and surrender certificate application together on Dec 16 and it was received by consultate on Dec. No update since mailed the applications. I'm planning an important trip in mid Feb and don't know if I should book the tickets or not.

Also,just like you I've also not received an acknowledgement for my applications.

Please keep me posted on your status.

Hi

I have filled OCI application on Dec 17. I have not been acknowledge.

I had plan to travel India around mid Feb. Is any one sailing in the same boat ?.

Hello Indore,

COngratulations on getting your OCI. Did you receive the acknowledgement for your applications or got the surrender certificate and OCI after 50 days(without an update in between). I did the exact same thing as you did (filed the applications together) and have not heard anything on my applications. Is it to be expected?

Thanks for your response.

I have received OCI card and surrender certificate yesterday. It took almost 50 days.
Some points I would like to make, which might be helpful to other applicants

1. I applied OCI and surrender certificate together in same packet with different cashier checks.
2. Self attested all the photo copies.
3. My son does not have citizenship certificate, I attached photocopy of mine and my wife' citizenship certificate and mentioned this in cover letter.
4. Attached old Indian passport with US visa to show lawful entry in US.
5. I also submitted photocopy of CA driving license and water bill.

Thanks everybody for your help.

HI Dolly75

I Got my Application Acknowledge, here are the details

Photo/Signature Scanned 11-JAN-2011
Registration Status Granted
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 13-JAN-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 14-JAN-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO NOT YET.

I had applied for OCI after I got my Surrender certificate. I haven't booked tickets yet. I thought I will book tickets once Documents received at SFO. Hope fully you will get the application processed and you will get your OCI before FEB 13.

Yes,I'm exactly in the same boat as you are Valpriya. I had applied the OCI application and surrender certificate application together on Dec 16 and it was received by consultate on Dec. No update since mailed the applications. I'm planning an important trip in mid Feb and don't know if I should book the tickets or not.

Also,just like you I've also not received an acknowledgement for my applications.

Please keep me posted on your status.

Thats good . Thanks Valpriya!

I Got my Application Acknowledge, here are the details

Photo/Signature Scanned 11-JAN-2011
Registration Status Granted
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 13-JAN-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 14-JAN-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO NOT YET.

I had applied for OCI after I got my Surrender certificate. I haven't booked tickets yet. I thought I will book tickets once Documents received at SFO. Hope fully you will get the application processed and you will get your OCI before FEB 13.

Hi D_Sidhu,
My status shows the same as yours dispatched from Delhi on 18th Jan. Its still doesn't show received @SF.

Today I am not able to access the OCI status website.

Went to San francisco and picked my OCI documents

I Picked up the documents personally from San francisco as i am travelling on Feb 10th.

My documnets were dispached from india on Jan 18th. I waited untill last thursday JAn 27, but no update, then personally went there to pickup the documents. Told them that i am travelling on Feb 10th

OCI Card Arrived

Mailed OCI App : Dec 14
Received at CGI SF : Dec 15
Date of Ack : Jan 12
Photo / Sig Scanned: Jan 12
Reg. Status Granted: Jan 12
Received @Home: 02/05/2011

Hello Friends,

I had applied for OCI as a family of 4 around mid-December. US Consulate in SF sent back all my docs and passports on Jan 3rd asking me to sign next to my passport copies and asking to rearrange all docs once again. This is in spite of attesting each paper. Anyhow, I completed everything once again, filled in the form that was sent along with the papers and sent back the package Jan 6th. Its now about a month since doc were delivered at consulate and I still don't see any status updates. I just see "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number." when I use the online status form.

I was wondering if anyone else has been through similar situation and would share their experience. In addition, for folks who applied around first/2nd week of Jan, are you seeing any status updates on your cases? Or are things moving slowly recently?

Hello Friends,

I had applied for OCI as a family of 4 around mid-December. US Consulate in SF sent back all my docs and passports on Jan 3rd asking me to sign next to my passport copies and asking to rearrange all docs once again. This is in spite of attesting each paper. Anyhow, I completed everything once again, filled in the form that was sent along with the papers and sent back the package Jan 6th. Its now about a month since doc were delivered at consulate and I still don't see any status updates. I just see "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number." when I use the online status form.

I was wondering if anyone else has been through similar situation and would share their experience. In addition, for folks who applied around first/2nd week of Jan, are you seeing any status updates on your cases? Or are things moving slowly recently?

Hi greeka,
I applied for our family of 4 on Jan 10 2011. So far no updates on my case. I also tried to check the online status and I got the same message "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number".

My question is how do we get the "File (Acknowledgment) No" ? Do we get this number in mail from CGI ? . This is something I have been asking in this forum but did not get any replies so far.

Anyone who got the OCI can you please explain the File (Acknowledgment) No ?

Hi greeka,
I applied for our family of 4 on Jan 10 2011. So far no updates on my case. I also tried to check the online status and I got the same message "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged or Wrong Passport Number".

My question is how do we get the "File (Acknowledgment) No" ? Do we get this number in mail from CGI ? . This is something I have been asking in this forum but did not get any replies so far.

Anyone who got the OCI can you please explain the File (Acknowledgment) No ?

The file acknowledgment No will automatically appear in "online OCI status " the moment application is acknowledged.

I feel there is some serious problem with CGI SF. My mother's case no change after docs dispatched from India on Jan/28th. My friend's case no Ack for application mailed on 6th and recd on 7thJan. 5 weeks have lapsed. Is OCI cell on vacation??????

The file acknowledgment No will automatically appear in "online OCI status " the moment application is acknowledged.

I feel there is some serious problem with CGI SF. My mother's case no change after docs dispatched from India on Jan/28th. My friend's case no Ack for application mailed on 6th and recd on 7thJan. 5 weeks have lapsed. Is OCI cell on vacation??????

Thanks for your reply Madh4. So I'm not the only one waiting. Anyways this work will be shortly outsourced to a different company. May be that is the reason for the delay. They have to complete all the pending OCIs, PIOs by now. I hope our cases will not get stuck with this transition ?

These guys suck big time. If you apply for anything with CGI, the first thing that they have to do is send an acknowledgment letter like how USCIS does with a receipt number. It's very scary to send all the original US passports and waiting for 5 weeks with no updates from CGI ?

Thanks for your reply Madh4. So I'm not the only one waiting. Anyways this work will be shortly outsourced to a different company. May be that is the reason for the delay. They have to complete all the pending OCIs, PIOs by now. I hope our cases will not get stuck with this transition ?

These guys suck big time. If you apply for anything with CGI, the first thing that they have to do is send an acknowledgment letter like how USCIS does with a receipt number. It's very scary to send all the original US passports and waiting for 5 weeks with no updates from CGI ?

Thanks for your messages Dublinguy & Madh4. Finally, after more than month I finally see the Ack# for my case. My 2nd application reached CGISF on 01/06.

I have bad news. My application came back. I had not submitted original Indian PP. Thought SC should be enough. But they could have sent me a letter asking for the same instead of returning the complete package ? Anyways now I have to wait to apply at Travisa. I hope those guys are better than these CGI SLACKERS !!!

We applied for OCI for our family of four and our applications reach the CGI SF on 4 Jan 2011. For my wife and kids I do see the following status update on the online status tracker:
Documents Printing Status: Printed
Documents Printed on : 14-FEB-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO : NOT YET

But for my OCI there is no acknowledgement. Is it normal for the processing to be done separately for a family that has applied together?

Anybody with the same experience? Thanks for your posts.