OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Update

sfbayguy said:
Ref # USASI0745XXX
Completed Online form: 04/06/06
Mailed Appln to CGI SF: 04/11/06
Appln Acknowledged (online): 6/17/06 - Status under progress

My online status also changed, now showing acknowledged, and in progress :)

Checked status today, shows that Photo/Signature scanned on 6/23/06, status remains the same, under progress.

My status is also shows scanning was done on 6/23/06. Anyone knows how many days it takes for the completion of the OCI process after scanning.

Thanks

harpers_ferry said:
Mailing date: 4/15/06 to SF consulate
Just checked the status on MHA website : http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

Status is Under Process

I have a question:

My son's name does not have his first name in it. Only the last name coming twice. Where as my name shown as 'first name last name'. Anyone know how to correct this information.

Pl. Advice.

Thanks
Sent a mail to oci@cgisf.org for fixing my son's name on the MHA website. They quickly responded and fixed the issue within 3 days. Very cordial and faster customer service from SF consulate.

Update

Status shows "Granted" - Jun 27, 2006

Rest is as below

Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: NOT DISPATCHED

Update :)

Status "Granted" - Jun 27, 2006

Documents Printing Status: Printed Jun 27, 2006
Documents Despatched From Delhi On: Jun 29, 2006

gajavada said:
USASI096xxxx Reference Number

Mailed on: 05/09/2006
Received on: 05/10/2006

Status on http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
"Application with this number not yet Acknowledged"

Its been almost 2 months and still says "not yet acknowledged". Anyone got an acknowledgement applied during this time?

Thanks

I am in the same boat. Send the OCI packet on 05/12 and it shows the same for me too..Not sure how long its going to take. The processing rate for SFO seems to be the most backlogged as compared to other Indian consulates based on OCI processing information posted on this forum. And we can't even ask for the status until after 12 weeks..

What is next after Documents received at SF consulate

Just checked the status on OCI MHA web site. Today my family documents reached at SF consulate.

What is the next step in this process. Can you pl. let me know

Thanks,
V

tdesai said:
I have the below questions

1. Instruction -f on OCI page on SF consulate's web page allows self-attested copy
of the passport [USA and INDIA].

In typical fashion, the instructions on the CG's website and that of the External Affairs website are different.

I had a few quesitons regarding the supporting docs they (i.e. CGSF) have requested.

1. What does "self-attested" mean? Does this mean I simply sign the page? Does it mean I write something else on the page? This may seem like a dumb question but I really don't get it.

2. The CGSF website says:

"(e) You must also submit TOTAL THREE (3) PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT with LIGHT BACKGROUND. THE PHOTOGRAPH MUST SHOW FULL FRONT VIEW OF THE PERSON’S HEAD AND SHOULDERS. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches). One ORIGINAL photograph must be pasted to each copy of your application. (DO NOT STAPLE the photograph)"

Does this mean that I attach one photograph to each copy of the form and enclose one other photograph with the entire application bundle hence making it 3 photographs?

3. The CGSF website says:

"(f) At the end of Part-B, a list of Documents that may be required at the time you submit your OCI application form. Please ensure that copy of your passport [USA & INDIA (first page only) is self- attested. Only the first two and the last two pages of the Passports should be photocopied. Please DO NOT PHOTOCOPY EMPTY PAGES OF THE PASSPORT"

What pages classify as the first 2 and last 2 pages? Does the first 2 pages imply the inside back cover of the front page and the page right next to it? Does the last 2 pages imply the inside back cover of the last page and the page right next to it?

What if the last page of my US passport is empty? Do I still need to submit it? The instructions say I should then say I shouldn't if it is empty. I'm confused.

4. THe CGSF website says:

"(ii) You MUST SUBMIT a notarized copy of your PIO Card WITH your OCI application. Copy of your old Indian passport (first page) is also required."

Does this mean the entire PIO card? That would make 3 A4 pages x 2 copies = 6 pages x $10 per page = $60 in notarized copies.

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Cheers!

harpers_ferry said:
Just checked the status on OCI MHA web site. Today my family documents reached at SF consulate.

What is the next step in this process. Can you pl. let me know

Thanks,
V

I guess you are all set to send your US passports for OCI stamping.

Send in the $15 if you didn't include that in the original fee amount
when you applied..

Congrats !!!!!

pacific1 said:
In typical fashion, the instructions on the CG's website and that of the External Affairs website are different.

I had a few quesitons regarding the supporting docs they (i.e. CGSF) have requested.

1. What does "self-attested" mean? Does this mean I simply sign the page? Does it mean I write something else on the page? This may seem like a dumb question but I really don't get it.

2. The CGSF website says:

"(e) You must also submit TOTAL THREE (3) PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPHS IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT with LIGHT BACKGROUND. THE PHOTOGRAPH MUST SHOW FULL FRONT VIEW OF THE PERSON’S HEAD AND SHOULDERS. Each photograph should be of (SIZE 2" inches X 2" inches). One ORIGINAL photograph must be pasted to each copy of your application. (DO NOT STAPLE the photograph)"

Does this mean that I attach one photograph to each copy of the form and enclose one other photograph with the entire application bundle hence making it 3 photographs?

3. The CGSF website says:

"(f) At the end of Part-B, a list of Documents that may be required at the time you submit your OCI application form. Please ensure that copy of your passport [USA & INDIA (first page only) is self- attested. Only the first two and the last two pages of the Passports should be photocopied. Please DO NOT PHOTOCOPY EMPTY PAGES OF THE PASSPORT"

What pages classify as the first 2 and last 2 pages? Does the first 2 pages imply the inside back cover of the front page and the page right next to it? Does the last 2 pages imply the inside back cover of the last page and the page right next to it?

What if the last page of my US passport is empty? Do I still need to submit it? The instructions say I should then say I shouldn't if it is empty. I'm confused.

4. THe CGSF website says:

"(ii) You MUST SUBMIT a notarized copy of your PIO Card WITH your OCI application. Copy of your old Indian passport (first page) is also required."

Does this mean the entire PIO card? That would make 3 A4 pages x 2 copies = 6 pages x $10 per page = $60 in notarized copies.

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Cheers!

1. For your application simply state,

This is true copy of the original.

(Sign your name)

- For your kids which can't sign, add the following

On behalf of xxxxx
(Sign your name)

2. What I did was below

- Stuck 1 photo each on the original and also on the Part A copy
- Also attached 3 more photos per applicant (in a separate small
plastic envelope)

3. Typically the front 2/4 sides(pages) have the personal
information and PP information. All those sides should be
included. Adding 2/4 more pages is not going to pose any
problem in the worst case.

4. Your notarize the PIO card in just one document. Just take
it a local notary which will attach a piece of paper saying
I hereby certify that the Pages 1-x of the PIO card document
for xxxx are true copy of the original. They will then stamp
and sign this front page. This only costs $10 for each applicant's
PIO card.

Is proxy submission of passports allowed at Consulate?

tdesai said:
I guess you are all set to send your US passports for OCI stamping.

Once you see the MHA Online enquiry's approval and documents received at SFO, Can somebody else other than you go to consulate and collect the OCI
and the get the passport stamped?

Do you need to send some letter along with the other person?

delmarca said:
Once you see the MHA Online enquiry's approval and documents received at SFO, Can somebody else other than you go to consulate and collect the OCI
and the get the passport stamped?

Do you need to send some letter along with the other person?

AFAIK, SFO consulate doesn't allow one to pickup the passport in person for OCI. You have to send in your passport and they will send it back after they put the OCI sticker on the same. Again, you send the passport only after the SFO consulate website shows your name among all those ones whose OCI applications are already approved.

How long it takes for status to show up after checks are cashed

I just called the personal money order service for my bank and they told me that the money order was cashed on 27th June. Does anyone knows as to how long it takes after that for MHA website to show the status of the OCI application ?

Any pointers/information will be appreciated.

tdesai said:
AFAIK, SFO consulate doesn't allow one to pickup the passport in person for OCI. You have to send in your passport and they will send it back after they put the OCI sticker on the same. Again, you send the passport only after the SFO consulate website shows your name among all those ones whose OCI applications are already approved.

Thanks for the reply.

My online status says... under process with acknowledge date of July 4th. I need to go to India on July 21st. So am I better off applying for a short-term Visa? or should I take a chance of it getting approved and me getting the passport back with the OCI sticker attached...

Last edited by a moderator:
delmarca said:
Thanks for the reply.

My online status says... under process with acknowledge date of July 4th. I need to go to India on July 21st. So am I better off applying for a short-term Visa? or should I take a chance of it getting approved and me getting the passport back with the OCI sticker attached...

In my case the Ack date is June 17th and documents received at SF is 7th July. So it will take at least 3 weeks from the ack. date. Pl. check with SF consulate if they can expedite your OCI processing.

tdesai said:

Hi,

I am about to send my passports to SF consulated today. Can I use experess services like Fedex/UPS or SF consulate only allow US postal service.

Thanks

tdesai said:
I am in the same boat. Send the OCI packet on 05/12 and it shows the same for me too..Not sure how long its going to take. The processing rate for SFO seems to be the most backlogged as compared to other Indian consulates based on OCI processing information posted on this forum. And we can't even ask for the status until after 12 weeks..

Hi,

My son's application which reached SF consulate on 05/03 is still showing application not yet acknolwedged on the OCI status site. Last somebody posted their status changed is mid-april. Anybody's status changed at a later date? Appreciate any replies.

Thanks,
hari.