OCI Rule Changes?

sanjoseaug20

Registered Users (C)
From a discussion on SFO thread ...

Indian Consulate SFO is now asking for
a) color copy of green card, or original immigration petition (even if through FOIA) before they will issue OCI
b) the Indian passport you entered US with rather than the latest one

These 2 changes seem to indicate that they are cracking down on people with asylum cases (basically complained about Indian government) and now want OCI.

Any thoughts?

a) color copy of green card, or original immigration petition (even if through FOIA) before they will issue OCI

These 2 changes seem to indicate that they are cracking down on people with asylum cases (basically complained about Indian government) and now want OCI.

Any thoughts?

If you look at Toronto Canada Indian consulate they are also asking LANDING PAPERS so that they make sure person came to Canada legally on Indian passport.
Indian Government has KALI SUCHI or KALI LIST (Blacklist) or and it has names of all the persons who are not required by India and they can’t get Visa or PIO or OCI. Canada has shared the list of all the immigrants from India with ministry of external affairs and that list include the name of many innocent persons who came legally to Canada or US with Indian passports. Indian consulates in US get the OCI application and check the Indian passport copy and the online registration record goes to Ministry of Home Affairs in Delhi and the OCI printing division is holding few cases OCI even after the person came to US legally and got US citizenship and Indian consulate in US GRANTED the OCI but Delhi will not print the OCI. MHA Delhi sends the passport information to Passport office that issued the passport and Passport office takes long time to send the information to MHA Delhi. Many Regional passport offices in India have online status check for passport as they were computerized 5-6 year back and still not every Passport office in India is computerized.
If SF consulate is asking the Color copy of GC that is wrong as one is not supposed to make Color copy of GC. One can make Copy of GC when person sends N400 or Citizenship application as copy of GC is required with Citizenship application. Many will not be having GC copy after the Naturalization. One also does not keep the copy of Naturalization application. FYI the Naturalization application is not PETITION. I-485 is Petition; I-140 is petition for H1 is also Petition. Regarding the Indian passport many may be having expired Indian passports they used to enter US and many have to search for the expired passports. I have not read mush for the SF new requirements.

Any thoughts?

Have they returned your application asking for these documents?

Are these changes published on the website yet?

Just checked the CGISF site

Looks like they need only one item, either copies of green card or original passport used to enter US.

Please provide one:
Two Colour legible photocopies (original may be asked for, if required) of Green Card
or
Two Colour legible photocopies (original may be asked for, if required) of EAD
or
Original Indian passport on which first time entered USA
or
Original I-130 and supporting documents provided at the time of obtaining immigrant visa to enter the USA (see www.uscis.gov for details of obtaining)
or
If applicant is US/ Foreign born, pl. provide two colour photocopies of the birth certificate (In this case, pl. provide documents as per OPTION C at S. No. 5 below)

I also looked at the new rules for OCI at CGISF and I couldnt decipher this following:

8. Pl. provide two self-attested photocopies of the first two and last two pages and US visa page of the Indian passport (if OPTION A is chosen in Serial No. 5 above) or of documents listed in OPTION B (if OPTION B is chosen is S. N. 5)

This is part of the instructions available at cgisf.org/oc/oci_process.html#reservations

My questions: If I chose option A in Serial No. 5 then what is "US Visa page of Indian passport"? We all have green cards. We dont have any US Visa in our current passports. Just wondering does it mean the page with the original I-551 stamp on the passport (even though that passport may have expired?)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably means the page(s) containing any visa or temporary I-551 stamp. I would send copies of all visas and I-551's. Instructions are pretty confusing - option A asks for Indian passport in original and instruction 8 askr for self attested copies of Indian passport visa pages.

What do you mean you all have green cards? Did USCIS not take away your green card after you became US citizen?

How one can give Color copy of Green Card it is illegal to make Color copy of Green Card? One surrenders the Green Card at time of Naturalization/Oath.
EAD and I-94 is taken away if one got approved for GC through local USCIS office.
I-130 petition is filed by Relatives through lawyer or directly and many don’t keep the copy of full I-130 petition.
One can get Domicile Certificate from Collector office if one is Indian Citizen. How one can get domicile certificate when person is US citizen?
Ration Card: May be old ration Card because once you are US citizen one is not eligible for Ration card.
Voter ID card: Many don’t have India Voter ID cards and even if they have that may have incorrect spelling of name and once the person is US citizen he cannot get Voter ID card and it is illegal.
It seems that this all is to make sure that one was Indian citizen and it is due to security reasons as Pakistani and Indians look same. It is good to have security check but the documents they ask may not be available to all and more problem for OCI.

Please provide one:
Two Colour legible photocopies (original may be asked for, if required) of Green Card
or
Two Colour legible photocopies (original may be asked for, if required) of EAD
or
Original Indian passport on which first time entered USA
or
Original I-130 and supporting documents provided at the time of obtaining immigrant visa to enter the USA (see www.uscis.gov for details of obtaining)
or
If applicant is US/ Foreign born, pl. provide two colour photocopies of the birth certificate (In this case, pl. provide documents as per OPTION C at S. No. 5 below)

I am pretty sure this changed since yesterday (or was it earlier today) ... earlier it said only GC OR the original documents ... there was a specific notation that you can get these by filing FOIA. This is gone now. Looks like work in progress

It probably means the page(s) containing any visa or temporary I-551 stamp. I would send copies of all visas and I-551's. Instructions are pretty confusing - option A asks for Indian passport in original and instruction 8 askr for self attested copies of Indian passport visa pages.

What do you mean you all have green cards? Did USCIS not take away your green card after you became US citizen?

I meant most of us here had green cards (not Visas on our current passports).