OCI return envelope\postage

Suresh_1980

Registered Users (C)
I applied my OCI last month and received it yesterday. Travisa did a good job of processing the application well within a month.

Except that there exists some confusion regarding return postage. When I was sending my documents through Fedex, after talking to Fedex employee, I enclosed return Fedex slip with my credit card information. Fedex lady told me that should take care of my return postage.

After my OCI was appoved, Travisa informed me that they could not send the documents back to me because I did not enclose return pre-paid airbill. They said credit card number on the fedex slip\return envelope would not help. (Note that after checking with Fedex again, they said credit card number should work). Since I stay within the drivable distance, I went and picked up my documents\passports.

I have heard similar case like mine where credit card info does not work, so just wanted to let you guys know that when you send your documents, please send return pre-paid airbill or your Fedex account number and not the credit card number as advised by Fedex guys. That would mean just additional headace.

Hope that helps and Good luck to all the applicants.

When I was sending my documents through Fedex, after talking to Fedex employee, I enclosed return Fedex slip with my credit card information.

Thanks for the information, but I would not advise anyone to do what you did, which is basically making your credit card number wide open. Looking at it from privacy angles, I think travisa was right not to use such label ... tomorrow if someone sues them for misuse of a credit card, how will they defend? Or how will they know that the fedex slip was filled in correctly or with a stolen credit card? In the name of efficiency and expedience, Fedex has some practices but which they really should imprve ... I have seen a single fedex number shared by many people ... what if it leaks out, there is no check whether the person presenting the label is authorized to use that number.

sanjoseaug20,
You are right no one should be putting credit card numbers on Fedex slip but I thought I had no other option. I believed Fedex employee's suggestion. I put this post only because no one else should do what I did.

It takes a few minutes to create a Fedex account. I also got a discount on a package I sent when I created the account. This is the best option.

It takes a few minutes to create a Fedex account. I also got a discount on a package I sent when I created the account. This is the best option.

I know this is not a fedex bashing group, but my experience has been the opposite. Despite the claim of a discount, and the printing of an actual discount, they actually charged me more to use the fedex account as compared to not using the account. their story was always that my package was more than their limits or whatever ... which it can not be with just 1-4 sheets of paper. when paying by a credit card, they weigh it then and you pay and move on. with a fedex account, they do give you a receipt (probably with weight), but actual rate calculation is done much later. and somehow the rates always come higher. maybe it is only me ... but i have seen it happen at least 4 times and trying to resolve it with phone reps (twice) did not do much.

I did not know this and will check my CC bill about the over charging.

I know this is not a fedex bashing group, but my experience has been the opposite. Despite the claim of a discount, and the printing of an actual discount, they actually charged me more to use the fedex account as compared to not using the account. their story was always that my package was more than their limits or whatever ... which it can not be with just 1-4 sheets of paper. when paying by a credit card, they weigh it then and you pay and move on. with a fedex account, they do give you a receipt (probably with weight), but actual rate calculation is done much later. and somehow the rates always come higher. maybe it is only me ... but i have seen it happen at least 4 times and trying to resolve it with phone reps (twice) did not do much.

I did not know this and will check my CC bill about the over charging.

I should have clarified that all these instances involved international shipping which has different weight requirements. However, the part about charges being different is true.

Forget express mail, just first class mail, especially if you live in the city or close by, will get there the next day! Just add tracking service to it and voila- you will be about $30 richer.

Sent corrected photos for OCI via USPS first class mail with tracking....LOT cheaper. Thanks for the money saving advice.

For those of you who recently interacted with Travisa and used the USPS mailing label option, how did you go about it? Did you include the mailing label as well as the envelope with postage stamp on it? The USPS mailing label doesn't have an account number option right?

Hybrid

For sending docs to Travisa - I used USPS (First Class CERTIFIED mail with "Return Receipt Electronic". The latter allows you to track Delivery on Internet). Saved money and could track the package. Be careful, if you ask for "Return Receipt" instead of "Return Receipt Electronic", you will pay $1.15 extra, which I think is just waste.

For receiving, created FedEx a/c. Put the a/c # on the shipping label. If you ask Travisa to return docs via USPS, I don't know how a tracking# will be generated.

From USPS.com
A return receipt provides the sender a postcard or electronic notification, via fax or email, with the date of delivery and recipient's signature. A return receipt may be requested at the time of mailing or after mailing. When requested at the time of mailing, it also provides the recipient's actual delivery address if different from the address used by the sender. Customers purchasing a return receipt may choose to receive it by mail or electronically.

For those of you who recently interacted with Travisa and used the USPS mailing label option, how did you go about it? Did you include the mailing label as well as the envelope with postage stamp on it? The USPS mailing label doesn't have an account number option right?

Oh I was meaning the return postage via USPS. What you said made sense but I was wondering if anyone had used USPS for the return side of things and how they went about it.