OCI - New York Tracker

I tried to copy and paste but it will be better if you go to the cgi ny website.

DECLARATIO
OF RE
U
CIATIO
/SURRE
DER CERTIFICATE WHE
PASSPORT IS LOST
Persons of Indian origin who have lost their Indian passports cannot apply for their cancellation or for obtaining Surrender Certificates. When they
apply for Indian visa/PIO/OCI cards, they need to submit adequate proofs of their Indian origins (Photocopy of lost Indian passports, Naturalization
Certificate, birth certificate, school leaving certificate from India, land holdings in India-details given separately under each service).
Action required to be taken by applicants under various categories, who have lost their Indian passports and need to apply for Indian visa/PIO/OCI is
given in the table below:
Sl.o. Situation Renunciation
(Declaration & $ 175/-)
Surrender
certificate
(Application &
US$ 20/- and last
held Indian
passport)
Penalty for misuse of Indian passport after
acquisition of foreign nationality.
(A) PIO who acquired foreign nationality
before 1.6.2010, and Indian passport
is not surrendered, makes a claim
that passport is not available but
Photocopy of passport with
particulars are furnished.
Not required. Surrender
certificate cannot
be issued as Indian
passport is not
surrendered.
A sworn affidavit must be given to the effect
that the holder had not retained the Indian
passport for more than three years or not
travelled on Indian Passport beyond grace
period of three months, after acquisition of
foreign nationality.
(B) PIO who acquired foreign
nationality before 1.6.2010 but
Indian Passport has not been
surrendered, even photocopy and
passport particulars are NOT
available, or never held an Indian
passport.
Eligibility for visa, PIO,
OCI will be determined
after production of proof
like Naturalization
Certificate, Birth
Certificate, land record,
etc.
Surrender
certificate cannot
be issued as Indian
passport is not
surrendered.
A sworn affidavit must be given to the effect
that the holder had not retained the Indian
passport for more than three years or not
travelled on Indian Passport beyond grace
period of three months, after acquisition of
foreign nationality or a sworn affidavit that he
never held an Indian passport.

My OCI application was returned because I did not include SC/copy of cancelled passport. I had included a letter stating that my passport has been lost/misplaced and I don't have it since 2000, and yet they send it back asking for it.

What am I supposed to do now? I tried email, phone, and can't get any response back.

Vivek,

You meant to correct something wrong I posted or were you trying to give me additional information?

Please note that I am not the one who asked the original question; I was just trying to help Phillydude411 by directing him to the relevant section on the CG-NY site.

USIndus,
u still have to apply for SC first. The SC app form has a section for lost passport case as well.

ya, my response was for philly....

Vivek,

You meant to correct something wrong I posted or were you trying to give me additional information?

Please note that I am not the one who asked the original question; I was just trying to help Phillydude411 by directing him to the relevant section on the CG-NY site.

My app was sent 06-Sep and acknowledged on 03-SEP-2010 and still pending. Again, same problem, they have all the original documents, my Indian passport for cancellation, and also both my kids' PIO cards. I would like to travel, but I don't think I can. Just stuck. I have written to them, by email, regular mail, fax - including to the cg and dcg email addresses numerous times over the past two weeks, but no result. No one picks up the phone either. Just terrible.

If they are not responding to your correspondence why do not pay a visit to the consulate in NY. How far do you live from the cgi ny?

If it is very urgent write to them a very strong letter about your frustration which is caused by the working culture of the cgi ny. Also let them know that you will be visiting the cgi ny sometime next week to take out all your frustration. Also write that you will be meeting the Consulate General in this regard.

Hopefully they will reply on this and if not just visit them and blast your frustration......

My app was sent 06-Sep and acknowledged on 03-SEP-2010 and still pending. Again, same problem, they have all the original documents, my Indian passport for cancellation, and also both my kids' PIO cards. I would like to travel, but I don't think I can. Just stuck. I have written to them, by email, regular mail, fax - including to the cg and dcg email addresses numerous times over the past two weeks, but no result. No one picks up the phone either. Just terrible.

My application was approved today

Here is my timeline:
8/10 - Application Mailed
8/11 - Received at consulate
9/02 - Received call from consulate to send original PIO card
9/03 - Mailed PIO card
9/07 - PIO card received at consulate
9/13 - Status change to Under Process
10/13 - Status change to Granted

My application was approved today

Here is my timeline:
8/10 - Application Mailed
8/11 - Received at consulate
9/02 - Received call from consulate to send original PIO card
9/03 - Mailed PIO card
9/07 - PIO card received at consulate
9/13 - Status change to Under Process
10/13 - Status change to Granted

Hi Sunny,
Thanks for sharing your timeline and Congratulations. Do you know when were the other milestones achieved in your case. e.g. Photo Scan
Also, do you have a sense, how long will it take for you to now physically receive your OCI card.

Thanks

My application got approved today. Waiting for photo scan and other things.

Application Posted on 18-Aug-2010
Date Of Acknowledgment 13-SEP-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 23-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted On 14-OCT-2010

Hi Sunny,
Thanks for sharing your timeline and Congratulations. Do you know when were the other milestones achieved in your case. e.g. Photo Scan
Also, do you have a sense, how long will it take for you to now physically receive your OCI card.

Thanks

The photo scan date was 9/23.

Looking at other timelines,I guess it takes around 2 - 4 weeks for the documents to be received at NYC.

USIndus,
u still have to apply for SC first. The SC app form has a section for lost passport case as well.

Vivek,
How would I apply for SC? The site says that lost passports "cannot apply for its cancellation or for obtaining a surrender certificate"

I typed up a sworn affidavit and got it notorized, as per the table in the PDF for lost passports, I'll send the OCI application again and see if they accept it.

I am in NJ, not too far from NYC. I am just going to give it some more time first, because there is little point in spoiling a day for this. I am not even sure if visiting would help because if they would even let me in for something for which their process says email/snail mail. So we will see how it goes. (I had a similar nonsensical problem with USCIS after my citizenship interview where they made me wait for no reason for 5 months, and ultimately patience paid off. Which was after a harrowing 485 experience where they erroneously denied my application first. I guess my stars don't line up well with the visa/permit bureaucrats of the world).

If they are not responding to your correspondence why do not pay a visit to the consulate in NY. How far do you live from the cgi ny?

If it is very urgent write to them a very strong letter about your frustration which is caused by the working culture of the cgi ny. Also let them know that you will be visiting the cgi ny sometime next week to take out all your frustration. Also write that you will be meeting the Consulate General in this regard.

Hopefully they will reply on this and if not just visit them and blast your frustration......

phillydude411,

Take a look at this document to find out how to obtain the SC when you have lost your Passport: http://www.indiacgny.org/UserFiles/FAQ.pdf

Here is question 4 and the answer from the above document:

Q4 I have lost/misplaced/submitted (to US authorities) my Indian passport. How may I obtain a Surrender Certificate?

If you do not have your Indian passport, you need to submit a sworn affidavit (notarized) explaining loss of your passport. You may attach a copy of your lost passport with your application. If your passport has been retained by the US authorities, you may submit some documentary proof to that effect. If you have lost an Indian passport which was valid beyond January 2005, you need to submit a police report along with your application. You may also provide additional documents (copy of birth certificate) to prove your Indian origin. Once your application is accepted as complete, we’ll issue you an acknowledgement that you have surrendered your citizenship and that your passport has been lost.

You may send your OCI/SC application together, but however illogical it may sound, you could save a few weeks from the whole process by getting the SC first before applying for the OCI.

Vivek,
How would I apply for SC? The site says that lost passports "cannot apply for its cancellation or for obtaining a surrender certificate"

I typed up a sworn affidavit and got it notorized, as per the table in the PDF for lost passports, I'll send the OCI application again and see if they accept it.

phillydude411,

Take a look at this document to find out how to obtain the SC when you have lost your Passport: http://www.indiacgny.org/UserFiles/FAQ.pdf

Here is question 4 and the answer from the above document:

Q4 I have lost/misplaced/submitted (to US authorities) my Indian passport. How may I obtain a Surrender Certificate?

If you do not have your Indian passport, you need to submit a sworn affidavit (notarized) explaining loss of your passport. You may attach a copy of your lost passport with your application. If your passport has been retained by the US authorities, you may submit some documentary proof to that effect. If you have lost an Indian passport which was valid beyond January 2005, you need to submit a police report along with your application. You may also provide additional documents (copy of birth certificate) to prove your Indian origin. Once your application is accepted as complete, we’ll issue you an acknowledgement that you have surrendered your citizenship and that your passport has been lost.

You may send your OCI/SC application together, but however illogical it may sound, you could save a few weeks from the whole process by getting the SC first before applying for the OCI.

Thanks for the information, but I think this must have changed, because this link is not posted anywhere under the cancellation/SC or OCI pages. I know they have been changing things a lot, just creating too much confusion. Anyways, I already send my OCI application again today with a sworn affidavit, I haven't sent SC application. Let's see what happens, I'll post updates.

Philly Dude - the police report is quite easy to get. I did that once when I had to get a new Indian passport when I misplaced my Indian passport last year. I just went to the local police station, and told them I have lost my passport and have no recollection of where and how it was lost. They asked me if it was theft, and I said no. I also told them that I need an acknowledgement of their recording my loss of passport to get a new one issued. They did so without any problem, basically giving me a small sheet of paper saying that complainant claims his Indian passport number xxxx is lost and cannot be found. End of story. That was enough for the folks at the Indian consulate to check the box that they have the police report. I think that might be an easier sell than the notary affidavit.

Good luck.

OCI Granted out of turn

USANI4801910

This lady Kamla is so lucky as she got the ack, scanned and granted in one day. If she is on the forum kindly let us know the trick. I have been waiting for last 3 weeks and no sign of acknowledgement.

My registration number starts with USANI440xx10. It looks like Kamla registered today and got OCI in one day.

As usual we ex-Indians will envy this out of turn issue of OCI and unable to fight for our rights. There is a new ad on the indian chanels from a newspaper asking to stop people breaking the line in front of us. Wake up Ashok if you want to go to India soon....

USANI4801910

This lady Kamla is so lucky as she got the ack, scanned and granted in one day. If she is on the forum kindly let us know the trick. I have been waiting for last 3 weeks and no sign of acknowledgement.

My registration number starts with USANI440xx10. It looks like Kamla registered today and got OCI in one day.

As usual we ex-Indians will envy this out of turn issue of OCI and unable to fight for our rights. There is a new ad on the indian chanels from a newspaper asking to stop people breaking the line in front of us. Wake up Ashok if you want to go to India soon....

My number is USANI41xxx10
Man you have been waiting only for 3 weeks. They received my OCI application on 09/02, and still nothing.
It's going to 7 weeks tomorrow.
Folks any advice? who to contact and how to contact. This is frustrating.
Thanks

Received Email from CGI NY

Below is the email received today from the OCI cell. Can anyone share more info about this email. Is this a primary ack?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Subject: Your application has been received at the Consulate General of India,

New York.

This is to acknowledge the receipt of your OCI application/s at the Consulate. It/they is/are under scrutiny. We will get back to you in case any deficiency/ies is/are noticed. If your application is complete in all respects, it will be processed. Then only you will be able to see your acknowledgement online.

After about three weeks, please check the status of your application(s) using the application reference no. on our website(www.indiacgny.org):- http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

The total processing time will be 6- 8 weeks. Please allow that time and refrain from contacting the consulate till the expiry of that time.

In case you are planning to travel to India, please do not buy air ticket till you receive your OCI card in your hand. The Consulate will not be able to expedite your application. If you have any urgency to travel, please apply for the requisite visa.

With regards,

OCI Section

Consulate General of India

3 East 64th Street

New York 10065

Below is the email received today from the OCI cell. Can anyone share more info about this email. Is this a primary ack?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Subject: Your application has been received at the Consulate General of India,

New York.

This is to acknowledge the receipt of your OCI application/s at the Consulate. It/they is/are under scrutiny. We will get back to you in case any deficiency/ies is/are noticed. If your application is complete in all respects, it will be processed. Then only you will be able to see your acknowledgement online.

After about three weeks, please check the status of your application(s) using the application reference no. on our website(www.indiacgny.org):- http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

The total processing time will be 6- 8 weeks. Please allow that time and refrain from contacting the consulate till the expiry of that time.

In case you are planning to travel to India, please do not buy air ticket till you receive your OCI card in your hand. The Consulate will not be able to expedite your application. If you have any urgency to travel, please apply for the requisite visa.

With regards,

OCI Section

Consulate General of India

3 East 64th Street

New York 10065

ashokvihar,

I have not seen such an acknowledgment before. May be it's a new procedure as part of some streamlining (my hope) the CGNY is doing. At least, it is some relief to know that your application is under consideration. At least they are saying in the email that if the application is complete in all respects, one would see the acknowledgment date and the file number. That's some relief. So, it is good to know the current time frame as per the email it is taking 3 weeks to see any movement at all after the acknowledgment date and the file number are displayed.
I am waiting for movement of my wife's application after it was acknowledged on Oct 1st (after resubmitting the application). So, I will have wait for another week to hopefully see further movement.