OCI - New York Tracker

Hi,
I am filling Part B and need some clarification on the 'Details of Family Member staying in India' . I have a whole bunch of people - parents, brothers, sisters and their families etc. Do we need to list out each and every one or just the parents + brothers + sisters (witout their family details) is sufficient?

I've listed immediate family members from my and my wife's sides. Had to attach a separate sheet for that item (22), as that list would not fit in the space they provided (list included only those residing in India - some of my family members are living in US and I've excluded them!)

Hi,
I am filling Part B and need some clarification on the 'Details of Family Member staying in India' . I have a whole bunch of people - parents, brothers, sisters and their families etc. Do we need to list out each and every one or just the parents + brothers + sisters (witout their family details) is sufficient?

Since, there is not much space there, you may just enter 2 or 3 immediate family members or attach seperate sheet. You will need to enter name, address and relationship as well. I just put mine and my wife's parents.

Part B - Additional Q

Hi,

Did you see this discrepancy?

When I originally filled my application and printed it at the same time, it printed Part A for all family members and a Part B form. There is a question -
16. Does the country of applicant(s) permit dual citizenship in some form or the other?

Now if i go ahead and print each individual application separately, that question is not available.

Any ideas? Seems like I have to refill the application to include this question. Also what would be the answer in the case of US. I thought US allows dual citizenship but India does not.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I am wondering what my next step should be. I mailed my OCI package with proof of SC within it on 17th July. According to the USPS tracking service, they received it on the 19th. I have been checking the status online since the past week but it says "NOT RECEIVED". How long does it take? Who should I contact? Could they have just "lost" my application? I find it hard to believe that they would have lost my money order though.

Badkarma,

If you are referring to the "Documents Received at CGI NY" filed in the "Online status Inquiry" , then that filed refers documents(OCI card) that is sent back to CGI NY after the processing is complete.

I am not aware of any online inquiry that shows when CGI NY received the OCI application. Hope this clarifies your situation.

FYI, my OCI application date was 9th Jul and it was acknowledged on 2nd Aug and Photograph/Signature scanned for the entire family on 9th Aug.

Maybe you need to wait another week before you start panicking! or maybe it's FRI the 13th jitters......

Good Luck

Hi,

I am wondering what my next step should be. I mailed my OCI package with proof of SC within it on 17th July. According to the USPS tracking service, they received it on the 19th. I have been checking the status online since the past week but it says "NOT RECEIVED". How long does it take? Who should I contact? Could they have just "lost" my application? I find it hard to believe that they would have lost my money order though.

Badkarma,

If you are referring to the "Documents Received at CGI NY" filed in the "Online status Inquiry" , then that filed refers documents(OCI card) that is sent back to CGI NY after the processing is complete.

I am not aware of any online inquiry that shows when CGI NY received the OCI application. Hope this clarifies your situation.

FYI, my OCI application date was 9th Jul and it was acknowledged on 2nd Aug and Photograph/Signature scanned for the entire family on 9th Aug.

Maybe you need to wait another week before you start panicking! or maybe it's FRI the 13th jitters......

Good Luck

Hi soKrazzy4,

How did you get to know that your application "was acknowledged on 2nd Aug and Photograph/Signature scanned for the entire family on 9th Aug." ? Wasn't it through the same online status inquiry page? If not, can you please clarify how you came to know about it?

Thrue the OCI online status inquiry option. I provided the registration no USANI..... that was generated when i submitted my OCI application and printed it. I believe that yours will start showing acknowledgement in a week or 2 at the most. No news is sometims good news....

Hi soKrazzy4,

How did you get to know that your application "was acknowledged on 2nd Aug and Photograph/Signature scanned for the entire family on 9th Aug." ? Wasn't it through the same online status inquiry page? If not, can you please clarify how you came to know about it?

The details appearing on the online status page will change depending on the stage in which your application is currently in. Until your application envelope is opened at CGNY and they "acknowledge" it in the online system, the status page will show "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged". Form thereon, the level of details provided on the page and the information displayed therein will change depending on the progress of your application. Please note that the CGNY does not "acknowledge" the application the day it is delivered there; delivery by USPS and online "acknowleding" are two different things.

It appears that CGNY is "acknowledging" around 100 applications each working day and based on posts on this forum I have the feeling that they currently have a 3 to 4 weeks backlog in "acknowledging" the applications. Looks like most of this work is happening between 10:00 AM and lunch time at NY; may be they concentrate on photo/signature scanning and OCI mailing/distribution in the afternoons.

Mailing the SC and OCI application together as I and a few others on this forum have done further complicate things. I have read about them handling those applications in different ways. So I have no idea how they handle those on any given day or what really happens when they open an envelope with both SC and OCI applications. Do they acknowledge the OCI right away, or they keep the OCI on hold until they get the SC, or they mail the OCI application back to the applicant?

The information posted above is from my observation and subsequent educated guess; it is no way official or even close to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks..

Here are my tracking details :

SC + OCI mailed together on 07/15
NYCG received on 07/15

SC recieved on 08/06 - 3 weeks
OCI - Not yet Acknowledged

Some fun things : They asked us to put either $10.00 or $20.00 Money orders for sending passports back once SC work is complete.Guess what...They took and kept 2x10.00 postal orders,but mailed in regular first class mail :). I am more than happy they didn't get lost in the regular mail when these documents are so important for all of us. For the money we earn in this country that's not a big deal and i am not bragging about $20.00. I just wish Kalam's dreams do become true at some point and people be honest. No matter how much of a flexbility we get by becoming US citizens (no H1's,GC limitations etc), I always feel India is my own place and no matter how poor or crowded it is.I just wish we mature some day.It is a shame the various high level govt officials take advantage at various places like India Airport checkouts being one of the famous on.

I desparately look forward these govt officials put some thought process into it.There are more than 50% of people are living below the poverty line.We are much much better than them and these guys should act like one.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to the refund of $155

Thousands of us were stripped off $175 for Surrender certificate and then the consulate reduced the fee $20. Consulate mentioned that they would only refund the fee based on the decision by Govt. Of India.

Any decision taken? What is the status of the refunds? Appreciate your response.

OCI status update

Application sent to NY- 6/14/10
Reached NY= 6/15/10
Acknowledged- 7/7/10
photo scanned- 7/16/10
registration - 7/20/10
Documents printed- 7/21/10
Documents sent from Delhi- 7/23/10
Documents received by CGNY- 8/9/10
OCI received- 8/17/10

Thanks, soKrazzy4 and usindus. Your explanation does make sense. I need to be more patient. After all, we are all patients of Govt. Of India.

SiriBabu: Your timeline seems very close to mine so please update here when you see OCI Acknowledgement on their web-site. It helps when patients share their misery together.

OCI status update

Application sent to NY- 6/14/10
Reached NY= 6/15/10
Acknowledged- 7/7/10
photo scanned- 7/16/10
registration - 7/20/10
Documents printed- 7/21/10
Documents sent from Delhi- 7/23/10
Documents received by CGNY- 8/9/10
OCI received- 8/17/10

dr_rks,

Which city did you have your interview and oath at? I see from your signature that you are at Cleveland, OH. I thought they had the interview and oath on different dates at Cleveland, OH.

dr_rks,

Which city did you have your interview and oath at? I see from your signature that you are at Cleveland, OH. I thought they had the interview and oath on different dates at Cleveland, OH.

Sometimes they have same day oath too.

OCI Update

SC and OCI STATUS

Surrender Certificate

SC - CGNY Receipt Dt : 10th Jun
SC/Cancelled Passports received back : 30th Jun (3.5 weeks from receipt date)

OCI

OCI Receipt Date at CGNY: 10th Jul

OCI UPDATE AS OF AUG 18th - ( For entire family )

OCI Acknowledged Date: 2nd Aug (3 weeks from receipt date)
Registration Status Granted On 18-AUG-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-AUG-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 18-AUG-2010
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

NOTE - All the checking for my status has been done via the OCI online status inquiry option. At no point during the process, I have received any email acknowledgement or status updates.

Good Luck

OCI Update

Date of Acknowledgement: 19th August (1 month from receipt date).
Registration status: Under process
Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI: NOT YET

OCI Status update as of 08/19/2010

OCI Update
SC and OCI STATUS

Surrender Certificate

OCI

Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 19 - AUG-2010

SC and OCI STATUS

Surrender Certificate

OCI

Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED

NOTE - All the checking for my status has been done via the OCI online status inquiry option. At no point during the process, I have received any email acknowledgement or status updates.

Good Luck

Did you mail SC and OCI together or you did SC first and then OCI ? I saw forums that OCI is being rejected stating OCI application doesn't have SC even though the main OCI applicaton website says "those can be sent together". I saw this after I mailed my SC+OCI together.I got my SC in 4 weeks after mailing and "under process" for OCI after 5 weeks. I am just hoping they won't deny my application,but they would get the copy with-in the consulate since they were sent together.

Please let me know...