OCI - New York Tracker

Kprajan, Skydrow

I hear you.....

Infact i am in similar position, checked my mailbox today to see my Application was returned, requesting copies of Birth Ceritificate of my Kids.

Nowhere on their website they mention this. Got to do this all over again and then wait 3 weeks to see, if something is missing.

IJ

Last edited by a moderator:
seems bad

Going by board's comments here, it seems NYC CGI is pretty bad in processing OCI Applications :(.

Its been around 10 days for me also but no ACK yet. SFO CGI is processing the applications under 1 month. So it seems to be issue with NYC only.

I sent in my OCI application to NY on Sep 14th by express mail. No acknoledgment yet. I understand the cashier's check is not yet encashed. No email replies not able to get them on phone.

How do I get this going? Please suggest.

My wife sent her application on 27th August and still no acknowledgement. It doesn't look like NY consulate is working on OCIs at all. No way to get in touch with them. Emails are not responded to and phones are hopeless.

My wife sent her application on 27th August and still no acknowledgement. It doesn't look like NY consulate is working on OCIs at all. No way to get in touch with them. Emails are not responded to and phones are hopeless.

As the Original starter of this thread, and a veteran, you know that by now, she should have had her OCI in her hand. Since she has not received an ACK (Which incidently comes from MHA in Delhi) There is a snafu somewhere *here* ( I'm in DEL right now on my OCI :cool::D:p )

I suggest you review the duplicate photocopy of her application and see where it might have gotten stuck and/or requiring additional scrutiny.

Did you send it to the correct address?

I mailed my OCI application on 9/11. Still shows Not Acknowledged on the online site.

I did call a person at the embassy a week ago, and she didn't give me any information. Said I had to wait for 4 to 6 weeks before contacting them. She was quite indignant that I had the nerve to call them! She should get a customer service nobel prize!

Very frustrating, but not surprising at all.

Hello...

I sent in my application and my parents application on 8/29 to CGI NY. Both of my parents were on one application and I was on a separate application. They acknowledged recieveing both applications on 9/11. They scanned all of our photos and signatures on 9/18. My and my Mom's visa registration was granted on 10/2 and our documents were arrived from Delhi to NY on 10/13.

The problem is the my Dad's registration just shows as being UnderProcess .Nothing has happened on my Dad's appication since all of our photos were scanned on 9/18. What is your opionion as to what might have happened to his application? Has anyone on here have an experience similar to ours?

Your responses are greatly appreciated...

OCI Fee for PIO holder

Can somebody confirm the OCI fee for PIO card holders.
The Consulate site still shows 25 USD. Did anyone sent additional amount after sending the application. Thanks

New Fee

Can somebody confirm the OCI fee for PIO card holders.
The Consulate site still shows 25 USD. Did anyone sent additional amount after sending the application. Thanks

I sent in my application with new fee of $145 for my children who have PIO cards.

The SFO CGI has mentioned the revised fee on their website and I assume CGI NY is just late in updating their website. One office can't charge more than other I guess :)-

http://www.cgisf.org/

Go to Consular Services --> OCI --> FAQ

8. What are the documents required for obtaining OCI status?

The following documents shall be enclosed with each application:

+ Two copies of Part A and Part B
+ Two - (2" X 2") - size photographs
+ Current US/ foreign Passport in original
+ Two self-attested photocopies of the first and last pages of the current US/ foreign passport for determining present citizenship of applicant (s)
+ Two photocopies of the birth certificate of US/foreign born children. This should be attested by either of the parent.
+ Last Indian Passport held in original
+ Two self-attested photocopies of the first two and last two pages of the Indian passport.

In the event, the Indian passport is not available, we require the following:

# Copy of domicile certificate, or any photo ID issued by the Government of India or of a State of India such as: Voter ID, or
# Copy of Indian Birth Certificate, and
# Copy of Indian Educational certificates, and
# Copy of Naturalization certificate issued by the country of current nationality of the applicant, and
# Affidavit
# PIO card in original, if applicable
# Two self attested copies of PIO card, if applicable
# Proof of fee payment US$ 275/- for each applicant (US$ 145 for each PIO card holder)
# A Self Addressed Stamped (Postage Prepaid $16.50) USPS Express Mail Envelop for Returning Documents.

Revised fee

Thanks nice guy. I already sent my application with all the required documents but calculated the amount as 25USD for PIO holder kids. I was asking how to pay the difference now so that the application process continues and is not returned back to me. Thanks.

Thanks nice_guy_gc for the information.

Can you just tell what things did u enclose from that list for you and for the PIO card holders.

I need to do for myself and kid. Should I enclose both the application in the same cover or should be separate?

Thanks

Oci

Thanks nice_guy_gc for the information.

Can you just tell what things did u enclose from that list for you and for the PIO card holders.

I need to do for myself and kid. Should I enclose both the application in the same cover or should be separate?

Thanks

Let me be clear first, I have not received the ACK yet, so please review the following accordingly.

This is how I sent in our applications, we applied as a FAMILY -

OCI Application PART A and PART B + Supporting Docs -

Myself - First Applicant, Fee = $275, Photos - Two on forms + 3
Document Enclosed - Copies of my US PP, Naturalization Certificate, Most recent Indian PP

My wife - Second Applicant, Fee = $275. Photos - Two on forms + 3
Document Enclosed - Copies of her US PP, Naturalization Certificate, Most recent Indian PP

Child I - Third Applicant - PIO Card Holder, Fee = $145, Photos - Two on forms + 3
Document Enclosed - Copies of his US PP, His Birth Certificate, My US PP, My Indian PP, My wife's US PP, My wife's Indian PP and Child's PIO Card

Child II - Fourth Applicant - PIO Card Holder, Fee = $145, Photos - Two on forms + 3
Document Enclosed - Copies of his US PP, His Birth Certificate, My US PP, My Indian PP, My wife's US PP, My wife's Indian PP and Child's PIO Card

I sent all the above together in one envelope and the whole application along with each of the supporting docs were submitted in duplicate as second set. All the docs except the PIO card copies were self attested, PIO card copies were notarized.

Again, the above is based on the information I gathered from CGI NY website and this forum.

Good Luck.

New Fee

Thanks nice guy. I already sent my application with all the required documents but calculated the amount as 25USD for PIO holder kids. I was asking how to pay the difference now so that the application process continues and is not returned back to me. Thanks.

Please review other threads on this forum. There is someone from SFO who received the whole package back from CGI SFO as the fee was revised. He sent the application again after adding the fee difference.

You may wait for the same, or try to get in touch with OCI Cell at CGI NY and ask them how you can send them the fee difference without them sending the whole application back to you.

Good Luck

how long between acknowledgement of oci application to receiving the documents at cgi, ny

All,

My documents have been finally acknowledged on Oct 19, 2009. The documents were sent to the Consulate in the penultimate week of September.

1. What are the next steps in the process?
2. How long before CGI NY receives the package with visa stickers?

Thanks

PS - My wife and child need to make a trip in the last week of November - this will help me plan accordingly.

Hello,

I'm an OCI applicant (Through NYCG), and I've been checking these forums occasionally during the process. I don't know if my experience (so far) will be of any help to anyone, but I'll submit it anyway.

I'm a US citizen by birth. My mother is Indian and my father is also a US citizen by birth. My mother had switched her citizenship from India to the US maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

I first applied for the OCI in late August. In that application, I included: check for payment, mother's expired Indian passport, father's US passport, my US passport, my birth certificate, mother's Indian birth certificate (which my mom seems to think is a version younger than her birth).

A couple of weeks or so later (early September), the entire application was mailed back to me. I was requested to pay with a money order (I sent back a certified check) and to include the last page of my mother's expired Indian passport. I sent the revised application back the next day.

Another 2 weeks passed, and I got a phone call from the NY consulate. They wanted to know if my father was Indian. I told them he was not, he is a U.S. citizen from birth. They then asked for a signed letter, affirming that my father was not Indian. They also requested my mom's current U.S. passport (very dumb mistake on my part in retrospect, just spending my mom's old Indian passport). I faxed these documents to the consulate maybe an hour after they called.

The Consulate called me again the following week, requesting the same info. Apparently they never received the fax, though it was confirmed to have been received on my end. So I sent the fax and an email again. I called the next day, and the NYCG picked up right away and made sure to walk over to the fax machine and confirm they received it.

On October 12th (2.5 weeks later), the OCI status website acknowledged receipt of my application. On October 19th, my photo/signature was scanned. I am now waiting for further change on the OCI status website.

So for anyone applying in the future of mixed descent, maybe this account could be of use. I'll also note that my mother has a different maiden name on her birth certificate than on mine. And then on her passports, she uses my father's surname. I wasn't asked by NYCG for anything to clarify the different surnames, so I'm hopeful that there won't be any problems at the Ministry.

Phone?

Can you please share whats the phone # you called where CGI NY picked up the phone?

I f I call the regular OCI number, nobody ever picks up the phone.

I believe it was the phone number that is listed on the website. I only tried once, and a woman answered right away and was helpful. But that is a small sample size, so perhaps I just got lucky.

I used whatever number that they used to call me. But too long a time has passed for it to still show up on my caller ID.

I applied for OCI for my family on Oct 22. After going through this forums, I realized that I forgot to include Birth Certificate for my US born / PIO holder child. Is it good to send it now or wait until they send me letter.

Thanks