OCI - New York Tracker

Now how does a person check the status online ? All I know is I sent registered post/priority mail. I know the package reached and was signed for. How do they Ack. and what number information one should plug into ?

Would it not be convenient to just go there and drop of the passports ? You are afterall living close by to NYCGI ?

1. Go to http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp and type in your online reg# in the second box and click 'Go' next to it. Your application is acknowledged when processing starts in Delhi and at that time the File (Ack) # box will be also filled.

2. CGI-NY doesn't permit application drop off in person, but collection of OCI booklet and U-Visa stickers can be made in person.

...Would it not be convenient to just go there and drop of the passports ? You are afterall living close by to NYCGI ?

Yes, that's an option, too and perhaps safer one (though post is still more convenient). Will see. Thanks.

1. Go to and type in your online reg# in the second box and click 'Go' next to it. Your application is acknowledged when processing starts in Delhi and at that time the File (Ack) # box will be also filled.

Thanks - When I printed and filled my online form the reg# is in Helvetica typeface/font, So I dont know if it is and I or a 1 as in USAN or USANI ?

Thanks - When I printed and filled my online form the reg# is in Helvetica typeface/font, So I dont know if it is and I or a 1 as in USAN or USANI ?

File number will start with USAN______________ and the registration number will start from USANI_______________

What number to put

So in order to find my status do I put entire USANIXXXXXXX in the Online Registration No or just XXXXXXX and press go. I tried both and the message coming up is "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged". According to USPS my documents were received last wednessday.

I think it's early yet - the status will be shown when documents reach India and they acknowledge it (the consulate doesn't acknowledge). Sometime next week you should get status. Yes, you enter the whole number (USANI____). Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometime next week, I'll get OCI in person. For those interested in time-line, here it is:

Application Package mailed to CGI, NY: 06/29/2009
CGI, NY received it on: 06/30/2009

The rest, as below:

status.jpg

Acknowledged

Thanks Jigesh, both of our applications were acknowledged as of 8/4/09. Earlier I mailed on 7/27/09

OCI Mailed: 7/27/09 through Priority mail
OCI Received: 7/29/09
Acknowledged: 8/4/09

Sometime next week, I'll get OCI in person. For those interested in time-line, here it is:

Application Package mailed to CGI, NY: 06/29/2009
CGI, NY received it on: 06/30/2009

The rest, as below:

status.jpg

Final update:

OCI Arrived at CGI, NY: 08/06/2009 (as per Online status - the above screenshot is old)
Picked up in person: 08/07/2009 (9:30am submitted US passport, they canceled Indian passport and handed over immediately, OCI/visa stamp collected at 12:30pm).

UPDATE

OCI App Mailed 19-JUN-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 06-JUL-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned 17-JUL-2009
Registration Status Granted 24-JUL-2009
Documents Printed 24-JUL-2009
Documents Despatched On 28-JUL-2009
Documents Received NY On 05-AUG-2009

Any suggestions on how to send the passport by mail?

I am planning to send the following:
Printed online status page.
Indian Passport
US Passport
$20 Money Order.
Will send by regular mail.

I am not sure about the mailing address. Do I have to mail the passports to the same address where I mailed the OCI forms ?

Final update:

OCI Arrived at CGI, NY: 08/06/2009 (as per Online status - the above screenshot is old)
Picked up in person: 08/07/2009 (9:30am submitted US passport, they canceled Indian passport and handed over immediately, OCI/visa stamp collected at 12:30pm).

Did you get an appointment time before you landed up at NYCGI ?

UPDATE

Any suggestions on how to send the passport by mail?

I am planning to send the following:
Printed online status page.
Indian Passport
US Passport
$20 Money Order.
Will send by regular mail.

I am not sure about the mailing address. Do I have to mail the passports to the same address where I mailed the OCI forms ?

I would suggest sending it by Priority or Express mail with tracking no.

Did you get an appointment time before you landed up at NYCGI ?

No. Any working day between 9:30 and 11:00am hand over the passports, and collect between 12:30 to 1:00pm or 3:00to 4:00pm on Counter # 3. Keep online status print-out showing docs are at CGI, NY with you. You can spend your extra/waiting time at Central Park zoo which is nearby, at walking diatance and has cafes/restuarants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I mailed the following to NY consulate

Indian passport.
US passport.
OCI Status Page.
$20.00 Money Order
Formal letter to consulate.

No. Any working day between 9:30 and 11:00am hand over the passports, and collect between 12:30 to 1:00pm or 3:00to 4:00pm on Counter # 3. Keep online status print-out showing docs are at CGI, NY with you. You can spend your extra/waiting time at Central Park zoo which is nearby, at walking diatance and has cafes/restuarants.

Thanks for the information; As to your other suggestion -
Why ?:) I'll go home instead [Distance from my place to CGINY - 2-1/2 blocks]

parking

Any pointers/places for parking near consulate so that I can walk to consulate. I will be driving from PA. I am still in ack stage

Any pointers/places for parking near consulate so that I can walk to consulate. I will be driving from PA. I am still in ack stage

Parking will be difficult; though not impossibe within a couple of streets. Central Park Zoo (from where you can easily walk to the consulate) has a parking lot and in the morning (before the zoo opens), you can find some parking there. You may also like to do some search on other nearby parking - I am not very familiar with the area; or PM anotnc who lives within a couple of blocks of CGI, NY.

Parking around the consulate is expensive. Forget street side parking. Having said that, I have one next block to me - 212-879-8798 30 E 65th Street (Madison & Park) Call and find out. As a true nooyorka :D I dont own a car.