OCI - New York Tracker

hello..oci application says total 2 photographs. (1 for each copy).
however, i heard people send more. anyone had issues with sending 2 or do i need to send more. thx/josh

I will be mailing my passports for OCI visa sticker soon.

I did NOT include the $20 with my $275 fee the first time around.

Can I send in a POSTAL MONEY ORDER of $20 with my US and Indian Passports?

(Does it have to be a certified bank check?)

Rather, Can I include a pre-paid, self addressed registered envelope with my passports for their return?

Thank you.

I will be mailing my passports for OCI visa sticker soon.

I did NOT include the $20 with my $275 fee the first time around.

Can I send in a POSTAL MONEY ORDER of $20 with my US and Indian Passports?

(Does it have to be a certified bank check?)

Rather, Can I include a pre-paid, self addressed registered envelope with my passports for their return?

Thank you.

They are interested in $20. Though they use just the regular first class mail (costs about $3) to return your docs, they demand $20 for it. So, you will be pissing them off if you choose to send pre-paid self addressed envelope. They may give you hard time for doing that. It is not worth it. Just send the prescribed amount of $20 and be done with it. Do not invite need less complication.

Staple or paperclip the two copies of application ?

Two minor questions:

How do people package the OCI application ? Do they paper clip or staple the A&B Application form+ Self Attested photocopies of the passport documents ?

FAQ: States no dropping off the application form in person. The nearest P.O for me is further off than the 5th Ave. NYCGI. No exceptions eh ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two minor questions:

How do people package the OCI application ? Do they paper clip or staple the A&B Application form+ Self Attested photocopies of the passport documents ?

FAQ: States no dropping off the application form in person. The nearest P.O for me is further off than the 5th Ave. NYCGI. No exceptions eh ?

I applied as a family of four. I enclosed the documents as below:
Self: Part A + Part B + my passport copies (used paper clips)
Spouse: Part A + spouse’s passport copies (used paper clips)
First daughter: Part A + my passport copies + her birth certificate + her passport copies (used paper clips)
Second daughter: Part A + my passport copies + her birth certificate + her passport copies (used paper clips)
Then I used a small binder clip to make it as set A. I did the same for set B. Mine was granted on 07/15, dispatched on 07/16 and received at CGINY on 07/23. Planning on sending the passports for stamping today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, the package has to be mailed, no drop off. I sent mine in priority mail with delivery confirmation.

Unfortunately, the package has to be mailed, no drop off. I sent mine in priority mail with delivery confirmation.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Distance from my place to CGINY - 2-1/2 blocks
Distance from my place to P.O - 6-1/2 blocks
Distance from CGINY to same P.O - 8-1/2 blocks.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Distance from my place to CGINY - 2-1/2 blocks
Distance from my place to P.O - 6-1/2 blocks
Distance from CGINY to same P.O - 8-1/2 blocks.

:D Well as long as they are not asking for some extra to process the files! I remember being in India and having had to grease the wheels with a little extra cash to get everything from a driver's license to turning on the electricity in your house to pretty much everything!:)

Update:

OCI App Mailed 19-JUN-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 06-JUL-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned 17-JUL-2009
Registration Status Granted 24-JUL-2009
Documents Printed 24-JUL-2009

They are interested in $20. Though they use just the regular first class mail (costs about $3) to return your docs, they demand $20 for it. So, you will be pissing them off if you choose to send pre-paid self addressed envelope. They may give you hard time for doing that. It is not worth it. Just send the prescribed amount of $20 and be done with it. Do not invite need less complication.

Thanks for the response. I think you are right about them "misplacing" my forms if I "piss" them off.

Will a postal money order work?

Update:

OCI App Mailed 19-JUN-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 06-JUL-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned 17-JUL-2009
Registration Status Granted 24-JUL-2009
Documents Printed 24-JUL-2009

Hmmm. I sent in my OCI application around the same time and I haven't even received the on-line acknowledgment. I'll have to call the embassy.

OCI Status for NY app shows Granted status

I have been checking the OCI status for my son and its been showing Granted (and Not Printed) status for about 2 weeks now. I had submitted my wife's OCI application at the same time and it got accepted on the same date, photos were scanned on the same date and OCI was granted on the same date too (7/16/09). Her documents got dispatched and were received by the NY office on 7/23/09.

What should I do about my son's application? Do you think there is some issue (same set of documents were submitted for both)? But, if there was then it would not have shown Granted status? Where can I call/send a email to check?

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Going2paris

Last edited by a moderator:
By what mail service does the CGI, NY return passports?

When we send in Indian and US passports with $20 MO, by what postal service (oridinary mail, priority mail or express mail) does the consulate return the passports?

Thank you.

When we send in Indian and US passports with $20 MO, by what postal service (oridinary mail, priority mail or express mail) does the consulate return the passports?

Thank you.

They return the passports using first calss (per your classification - ordinary mail) mail. It costs them couple of buks. Charging $20.00 is absolutely ridiculous. Hey thats life! is it not?

Thank you guys. The reason I asked was to understand if it made any sense to include a self-addressed envelope or address-slip (if Express/Priority Mail) so that they don't mak any typos or miss apartment number, etc. Looks like there's no uniform way; someone on Page 25 of this thread got passports by express mail.

Hmmm. I sent in my OCI application around the same time and I haven't even received the on-line acknowledgment. I'll have to call the embassy.

Now how does a person check the status online ? All I know is I sent registered post/priority mail. I know the package reached and was signed for. How do they Ack. and what number information one should plug into ?

Thank you guys. The reason I asked was to understand if it made any sense to include a self-addressed envelope or address-slip (if Express/Priority Mail) so that they don't mak any typos or miss apartment number, etc. Looks like there's no uniform way; someone on Page 25 of this thread got passports by express mail.

Would it not be convenient to just go there and drop of the passports ? You are afterall living close by to NYCGI ?